• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Big Summer Clearout?

WookieD

Didier Zokora
So then, things seem to be stagnating a little and we are in a dubious position at the tail end of what was looking to be a glorious season. If we hang on for CL then, obviously, that strengthens our position incredibly, but the question will remain, do we need a clear out?

We are, in all likeliness, going to be looking at a new manager by the end of May and what with a manager wanting his own flavour/stamp/influence on the squad and the need to replace the old and unreliable, I think we may end up seeing the biggest transfer window at Spurs for a decade, I honestly do.

Defence
King: As said in another thread, it's like watching your 17 year old dog become incontinent and need putting down. He was great at the start of the season, but a couple more injuries and a fairly full season of games and it is clear that he is doing more harm that good to himself and us. A job on the training ground for the King of WHL

Gallas: Missed half a season through injury and on much higher wages than his first season, Gallas is not without his faults now and isn't worth the squad number or salary, considering the amount of games he misses.

Nelson: On his swan song, filling a gap, and not doing it superbly well in any case.

Benoit: Not necessarilly one out of the door, but he needs solid competition as his performances have become increasingly erratic as the season has progressed. Poor marking and tracking lead to too many soft goals.

So that's three CBs that may well be (should be) on their way out and a LB position that has not had cover for a couple of seasons now (unless you call Rose proper cover). Kaboul is our only dependable CM at the moment, Dawson is completely erratic in form and more so when he doesn't have a leader like King next to him (always been this was for me). The Bong is never going to make a Prem footballer, which leaves our CB line up as Kaboul/Dawson/Caulker... So we are going to need at least one very good CB, preferably two, and a LB.

Midfield

Modric: In all likeliness to cause a stink if we miss CL football and probably looking to move anyway if we get it, it will most likely be time to let him go for a good profit (preferably onto the continent) this summer.

Bale: This really depends on how long he is going to stay honest for us and keep developing. I think Harry made a mistake in giving him a completely free role, he needs to focus on one position and drift only when opportunity knocks. In any case, Barca can GTFO if they think we're selling him cheap, ?ú50m+ from Madrid would make me happy. I'd be happier still if he committed to us, but let's be realistic about it if he doesn't.

Niko/Jenas/Bentley/Gio: They are just costing us money now, even Niko. We need a semblance of an idea on what our style is, and then what we need our squad to look like to allow for proper rotation and get this lot out and the targets in.

Attack

Defoe: It's possibly time to draw Defoe's days to a conclussion. We're unlikely to line up 4-4-2 as our default ever again and he doesn't suit a lone striker role in any way shape or form. The only way we can accomodate him is if we line up with three forwards. But with Bale and Lennon occupying the extremes of the wings, I can't see this happening in the immediate future. Goals this season belie the fact that we are struggling to utilise him properly.

Saha: Like Nelson, only ever a short term solution. Has performed better than many gave him credit for being able to do, but should be a fourth choice at best going into a new season.

Adebayour: People gush about Ade and what he brings to the team, but for me I honestly think there are much better options. For one of "world soccer's" apparent super stars, he is a terrible finisher, his touch at times lets him down as badly as Pav's ever did and he isn't the quickest striker in the world (I was actually surprised about his break for our goal yesterday). Depending on the sums of money being talked about, I think we may possibly spend it better elsewhere.

So for the attack, we possibly need a 100% rotation!

Summary

The defence we all, in our heart of hearts, know about. More surprisingly, I think we are in a bit of a position in the midfield. Both our wins need backup, we need to figure out how to make the best of Sandro and Livermore, we need to figure out whether we are going to stick with our currect shape or if not, what do we do with VDV. Modric may well go, Huddlestone isn't the answer, or if he is, he needs strong competition, and our strikers fail to find the net on a regular basis, apart from Defoe, who cannot play in our preferred formation. In my opinion, without even taking into consideration the wants of a new manager we are possibly going to need:

2xCB
1xLB
1xRW
1xLW
2xCM
3xFW

That's mental when you look at it, but unless a new manager can come in and figure out what to do with our current squad, I think it may actually be in much bigger need of a shake up than any of us realised.

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd like to see the following players shifted out

Gomes
Cudicini (Button can cover as 3rd choice if need be)

Gallas
Nelsen
Corluka
Bassong
King to retire

Jenas
Bentley
Gio (for his career sake)
Krunchie

Defoe (he'll push for it himself, I'm sure - good riddance)
Saha (absolute must)

In addition - urgent competition is needed for the following positions

Left Back
Centre Back

Ade would 99% go back and Modric and Bale would be likely to push for a move so possibly urgent replacement for their positions would be high on the agends

New additions

1x GK

1 x LB
1 x CB (Caulker also coming back)

1x RW

1x CF - cover for VdV
2x ST

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to say this but I'm finding myself agreeing with ArcspacE almost entirely. I would probably leave one of King, Gallas or Nelsen though, no harm in keeping an old head in defence even if just for backup.

Goal keeper
sell gomes and bring in a new young keeper to learn the ropes, the lad at reading the aussie i like him.

Defence
Sell corluka, bassong and rose bring back caulker and naughton, bring in this lad from man u at left back on a free and chivu also i always liked chivu. A new commanding centre back is a must to be with kaboul, dawson, gallas and caulker. King and nelsen for free transfers and smith for a loan for season.

Midfield
Sell: Krancjar, dos santos, jenas, bentley, piennar, MODRIC(yes i know what im saying) bring in Hoillet, Siguardsson, Elm, Drenthe. Townsend and Carroll to get loans.

Striker
Sell defoe, vdv and give saha the free he deserves. Bring in Llorente, Dembele, Long and buy zaha at palace and loan him back to them for a season.

I would be happy with that, doubt any of it will happen. Should be enough money in the squad to build from within, also the club should be scouting players the likes of me do not know about.

But yeah i agree with the original post a lot of rebuilding to be done, i think mainly round the edges of the team except upfront which all needs to change in my opinon.

I will tie my colours to the mask, i am not a fan of vdv and how we play when he is in the team, i feel he is not suited to the man in the hole role, would much rather dembele there.

Sell
Modric ?ú40mill
Defoe ?ú12mill
GDS ?ú5mill
Bentley - ?ú1mill
Jenas - ?ú2mill
Bassong - ?ú3mill

Buy
Jan from Ajax - ?ú12mill
Dembele- ?ú14mill
Berbatov - ?ú7mil
Krul - ?ú17mill

GK: Krul

RB: Corluka
CB: Dawson
CB: Kaboul
LB: Jan Vertonghen

CDM: Parker
CM: Sandro

RAM: Dembele
CAM: Van Der Vaart
LAM: Bale

ST: Berbatov

We have to keep Bale, modric, lennon, walker, Kaboul, Parker, Sandro, Huddlestone, Van der Vaart, Kranjcar, Caulker. Build the team around these. We need to buy a goalkeeper, many defenders and strikers.

Make assou ekotto and Friedel subs. The rest can go and play wherever they want.

Sell
Modric ?ú40mill
Defoe ?ú12mill
GDS ?ú5mill
Bentley - ?ú1mill
Jenas - ?ú2mill
Bassong - ?ú3mill

Buy
Jan from Ajax - ?ú12mill
Dembele- ?ú14mill
Berbatov - ?ú7mil
Krul - ?ú17mill

GK: Krul

RB: Corluka
CB: Dawson
CB: Kaboul
LB: Jan Vertonghen

CDM: Parker
CM: Sandro

RAM: Dembele
CAM: Van Der Vaart
LAM: Bale

ST: Berbatov

dembele and berbatov both have a year left on their contracts i also doubt we will get 5m for gio.

King will be sent to the glue factory, and out of his misery... anyone else we REALLY want to stay (Bale, Modric, Ade, Defoe, Parker, VdV?) will be sold, and we can't do a rancid tramps c o c k about it!

Everyone else will stay....

confidence and form

bigger picture

patience

fans calling for a clear out after 2 points from 8 games.

fans calling same players top class 18 months later

fans saying all we need is one or two more pieces last season. we have those same players.

confidence

form

bigger picture

how would the players perform under clearer circumstances with their manager

would these players cleared out perform better somewhere else? Pienaar for example...why is he playing better elsewhere looking like a player we could do with?

would bale and modric and lennon look amazing under wenger or ferguson? if yes then are they crap players we need to clear out?

confidence

form

bigger picture

Yup, it's gonne be a big summer! But it's definitely doable so I'm not too worried.

Let Gomes go, give Brad another season, keep Cudicini and have Button as third choice - or send him out on loan and be able to recall him if neccessary. Money off the wage bill with Gomes gone, and since Brad can probably go for another season, we can use the money to rebuild elsewhere, because this window will be most vital. Next summer we can go for a younger keeper.

In defence, release Nelsen. Release Gallas. Sell Corluka. Sell Bassong. Welcome back Naughton and Caulker. That gives us money saved on wages, decent fees from the sales, and good young players to add to the squad. With Dawson, Kaboul, Caulker and King, plus Naughton, Walker, Assou-Ekotto and Rose, we have good options. Maybe we need another quality centre back, and maybe a back up left back if Rose wants to move on, but this should be doable. There should be plenty of centre backs around, but if not we can wait for the right one, and hopefully protect King a bit more, only wheeling him out when needed.

In midfield, this will be tough. We'll bring Huddlestone back in. Probably sell Krancjar. Possibly Pienaar, definitely Jenas. Depending on where we finish, Bale may go. Modric probably will regardless. If we sell Bale, Modric, Krancjar and Pienaar, we should be looking at roughly 100M+ to rebuild our midfield, and add to Huddlestone, Parker, Sandro and Lennon. We will need at least two wingers, as cover has been a problem. We will also need a quality central midfielder. Livermore can be 5th choice to come in when needed. A lot is needed, but with some wheeling and dealing, we should be able to do it.

Upfront is going to need major work. Adebayor will likely be gone. Saha too. If we count Rafa as a forwards, and Defoe still being here, we need two quality strikers. Depending on how well we use the money from the midfield sales, we may have some left over to spend here. We will have to hope that the lack of spending these past few windows has meant we have some money saved up for when the squad needs rebuilding, and it hasn't all gone on the stadium. Therefore if we say that the money to rebuild the rest of the squad has come from player sales, the 'regular transfer budget' needs to be used to buy strikers. Tough to find good ones? Perhaps. Tough to find one to play upfront alone, yes. But if we can get one that can play in a partnership, and find one capable of being up by himself, we should be good. It's doable.

So yes, providing we re-build cleverly, and use our money wisely, even though there will probably be a huge amount of action, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I haven't found a single link yet to confirm that though

well you may be right i just remember reading it and unlike some of the stories i see linking us with players it seemed to make sense and not sound unreasonable so i assumed it to be true, would be suprised if it was not, if he was on a free i imagine clubs round europe would look to have secured him already.

For the record i would love him back at spurs but it aint going to happen.

I read that too - many a times. Simply it was never confirmed officially which is generally the case with all their contract extensions. Yes, even Owen.

Some rumours earlier suggested he's allegedly signed a pre-contract already with an un-named club. Could be in Turkey

Last edited:
Thanks AS, a little perspective is welcome. Confidence and form made this exact same squad look capable of beating anyone in the world.

That said, we have run out of legs at the end of a season, two season in a row now, it was always a possibility when buying the extent of experienced players we did (short term success strategy), we have had this happen before with Hoddle.

To address the OP

Stability is important to some extent, so uneccessary turnover probably should/could be avoided

- GK, Sell all but Brad/Carlo, buy a young understudy who is willing to wait one season
- CB, Release King/Gallas/RN/Bassong, buy experienced but still under 30 CB to play alongside Kaboul/Caulker/Dawson
- RB, Bring back Charlie or buy new RB
- LB, Sell Rose and buy competition for BAE
Midfield - Sell Bentley/GDS/Jenas/Kranjcar/Pienaar, buy competition for Lennon (ideal single player would be pacy RW who could play as 2nd striker optionally)
- Strikers - Ade/JD need to committ to club or move on, I would keep Saha for another season

Bale/Modric/VDV can all stay, or if they go (and they and their agents should be told now, this is the price, get this amount or shut up and play)

Out:
Cudicini
Gomes
Corluka ?ú5m
Gallas
King
Bassong ?ú5m
Khumalo
Nelsen
Bentley ?ú2m
Kranjcar ?ú5m
Pienaar ?ú5m
Modric ?ú30m
Jenas ?ú3m
Bale ?ú40m
Gio ?ú3m
Defoe ?ú10m
Ade
Saha

In:

Brendan Rodgers
Whoever he wants

Personally, I'd like to see the following players shifted out

Gomes
Cudicini (Button can cover as 3rd choice if need be)

Gallas
Nelsen
Corluka
Bassong
King to retire

Jenas
Bentley
Gio (for his career sake)
Krunchie

Defoe (he'll push for it himself, I'm sure - good riddance)
Saha (absolute must)

In addition - urgent competition is needed for the following positions

Left Back
Centre Back

Ade would 99% go back and Modric and Bale would be likely to push for a move so possibly urgent replacement for their positions would be high on the agends

New additions

1x GK

1 x LB
1 x CB (Caulker also coming back)

1x RW

1x CF - cover for VdV
2x ST

Bang on the money old boy.

So the question for people asking for 7 plus changes to the team

Happy to struggle through a transition season next year?

confidence and form

bigger picture

patience

fans calling for a clear out after 2 points from 8 games.

fans calling same players top class 18 months later

fans saying all we need is one or two more pieces last season. we have those same players.

confidence

form

bigger picture

how would the players perform under clearer circumstances with their manager

would these players cleared out perform better somewhere else? Pienaar for example...why is he playing better elsewhere looking like a player we could do with?

would bale and modric and lennon look amazing under wenger or ferguson? if yes then are they crap players we need to clear out?

confidence

form

bigger picture

=D>

Very good post!

Back