• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best season under Poch

Which was our best season under Poch?

• 2014/15

• 2015/16

• 2016/17

• 2017/18

• 2018/19

Results are only viewable after voting.
With respect to enjoyability 2016/2017. This season has been a slow trudge except for a few matches.

At the half way stage we were second with 45 points. It's like running the first half of a marathon with a great personal best and then staggering to the line and only making it because the competition was falling over. The second half of the season was close to relegation form, but punctuated by an amazing CL run. In 2016-17 we finished extremely well, but were never contending for any trophies.

So almost unanimous that 2016/17 was the most consistent football we’ve played.

It was essentially the 2015/16 season but with more pace and guile (Son), more strength, pace and power in CM (Wanyama) and more clinical ness (if that’s the correct term). 86.2 was the average number of points needed to win the league most years until city got 99 points over the last two seasons. To finish on 86 points with +60 goal diff and not finish within 6 points of 1st place is desperately unlucky. Chelsea basically won the league with their 13 game win streak. Everyone else was playing catch up after that.

You know, one other thing that makes this season so enjoyable is that we definitely stumbled in the latter stages but Arsenal absolutely fell flat on their faces in failing catch and pass us for fourth. Just look at the rage, the Wenger-esque Fury, being emitted from their embittered fans over this colossal cocque up that only perpetuates a steady corrosion of their competitiveness. And they're still stuck with that bug-eyed, half-arsed Ozil and his budget-busting wages.

A nice dollop of Schadenfreude to spread on our well-buttered toast.

2016/17 without question. The league always has and always will be the most accurate barometer of measuring how good a team is. We finished with 86 points, more goals scored and fewer conceded than the actual champions and went unbeaten at home all season. It’s not even a debate for me. This season was fantastic in the CL but our league form was very average.
Without a doubt. We haven't won anything in either season, so I have to go with performances. And what performances we had that season! We were spectacular to watch, we looked like we had a plan A, B and even a C, we could score goals from everywhere, Eriksen could thread passes through anything, we were quick on the break, we were solid in defence AND had two solid attacking fullbacks, we had stamina, we had hunger, we had everything. I honestly (and certainly incorrectly) felt like only a Messi or Ronaldo-class player would improve us significantly. That season was the only season I can remember being sure of a victory at Anfield (alas it wasn't to be).

I doubt I'll see such an exciting team again for a long time. Yes, we were in a CL final this year, but a disappointingly few matches aside, we have been anything but exciting to watch. I don't want to take anything away from his progression and hard work, but that Sissoko has been our beacon this season says it all really.

This season.

16/17 was exciting partly because there were less established competitors, anything was possible. klopp and city hadn't arrived.

To deliver what we have post world cup, changing stadia midway through, while we didn't have a stable team, was a massive achievment. One win away from winning the CL! How many games could Poch pick the same 11 this year?

Undoubtedly 16/17 was the best in terms of team performance over the season. It had the emotional factor of the last season at WHL and the team rose to the occasions with the formidable home record.

There is a case for each of the others though:

14/15 - as the season progressed we could see the dawn of a new era - particularly the breakthrough of Kane culminating in the 2-goals in the wins over Chelsea but more particularly against Woolwich - if i shut my eyes I can still see the ball floating in slow motion from his header into the corner.

15/16 - was for most of us the first time we had ever even considered Spurs to be in a title challenge; it was the beginning of a new belief that peaked with that win at City in February. The failure at the end of the season may not be as enjoyable but it certainly added to the narrative of an incredible season in which we surpassed expectations.

17/18 - will be mostly remembered as the wembley season but this was our 'coming of age' season in the champions league with the wins over Real Madrid and Dortmund and draw in Juventus. Although never really in the title race we still beat Woolwich, Liverpool and Man U at home and finally won at Chelsea. It is probably unmemorable on the whole as we were just quietly competent throughout.

18/19 - again probably tarnished by the prolonged stay at Wembley; it is a sign of our maturity and progression that we could get through the season in 3rd gear and not drop out the top 4 all year. The Champions League campaign became the biggest takeaway and hopefully the platform to build into the future from.

Back