• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - Aliens v Back to the Future

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Aliens

Directed by
James Cameron
Produced by Gale Anne Hurd
Screenplay by James Cameron
Starring Sigourney Weaver
Awards - Academy Awards for Sound Effects Editing and Visual Effects. Academy Award nominations for
Best Actress, Best Original Score, Best Sound, Best Film Editing, Best Art Direction.

V

Back to the Future

Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Produced by Bob Gale and Neil Canton
Written by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale
Starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover
Awards - Academy Award or Best Sound Effects Editing. Nonitated for Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Song and Best Sound Mixing.

I love Aliens, faithful to Alien despite taking the film into a different genre. It’s beautiful, looks lived in, looks broken, authentic, the characters are straight out of comic books and Ripley remains the badass hero of the piece. The plot and pacing are bang on and they were able to twist the canon enough to allow the aliens to be killed without dropping the fear factor.

It’s awesome, one of the greatest films ever made, certainly the best of the 80’s. For every other movie in this contest, it’s game over man, game over.

Last edited:
I love Aliens, faithful to Alien despite taking the film into a different genre. It’s beautiful, looks lived in, looks broken, authentic, the characters are straight out of comic books and Ripley remains the badass hero of the piece. The plot and pacing are bang on and they were able to twist the canon enough to allow the aliens to be killed without dropping the fear factor.

It’s awesome, one of the greatest films ever made, certainly the best of the 80’s. For every other movie in this contest, it’s games over man, game over.

Yep, agreed. Excellent movie! I couldn't sleep for days when I first saw it. Terrifying stuff (at least back then)!

Agree on Aliens. Back to the Future is also a brilliant film, a lot of fun but outclassed here.

Alien - the first, Ridley Scott's superb piece augmented with HR Giger's visions- is the masterpiece. Epic. Untouchable. I feel that Cameron reduced it to a Terminator. Furthermore, he ripped Giger's ideas. The word is that Giger was an early consultant, was told "no thanks" and then a bunch of his further visions and ideas ended up in Cameron's with no credit. I heard that from the horses mouth just over 25 years ago, a sad story. So by default I vote BTTF. If only the original had been made a year later (for purposes of this poll!)...

Alien - the first, Ridley Scott's superb piece augmented with HR Giger's visions- is the masterpiece. Epic. Untouchable. I feel that Cameron reduced it to a Terminator. Furthermore, he ripped Giger's ideas. The word is that Giger was an early consultant, was told "no thanks" and then a bunch of his further visions and ideas ended up in Cameron's with no credit. I heard that from the horses mouth just over 25 years ago, a sad story. So by default I vote BTTF. If only the original had been made a year later (for purposes of this poll!)...

Each Alien film is exactly a third as good as its predecessor. Aliens is still better than Michael J Fox’s weird Oedipal adventures, though.

“reduced it to a Terminator”, is that like reducing malt and water to Lagavulin?

Alien and Aliens are probably as good a 1-2 as you can get which I suppose is not saying much as not been too many about.

Jaws was a fair 1-2 that went down the pan thereafter, Godfather notable for a class 1-2.

Back