• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte

Am I right in assuming the diamond finger thing is in relation to the Brazilian flag? Genius...

Don't understand why talented South American players go to play in Eastern Europe. They might be lured by big money but they are wasting their talents in hugely less competitive leagues there.

Don't understand why talented South American players go to play in Eastern Europe. They might be lured by big money but they are wasting their talents in hugely less competitive leagues there.

He was pretty much forced to go there. Atletico needed the money and Shakhtar were the only team to meet the valuation.

I'll be watching him this season, I fear he may fade away into nothing... If he ends up a massive hit then he will end up somewhere like PSG, Monaco, Chelsea, City etc... as Shakhtar will demand a huge fee and only they will be able to afford him, similar to Willian I suppose....

I'll be watching him this season, I fear he may fade away into nothing... If he ends up a massive hit then he will end up somewhere like PSG, Monaco, Chelsea, City etc... as Shakhtar will demand a huge fee and only they will be able to afford him, similar to Willian I suppose....

I think it is a lose-lose situation for players like Bernard. If they do poorly there, no one will ever want to sign them and if they do well, they will be priced out of going to other clubs. Over the years, there have been many wasted talents in lower leagues of Europe like that. I think it is better for them to stay in South America until a big club come for them.

For me the strangest thing is that it's a World Cup year, a home world cup for Brazil even. He's worked his way into contention for that squad, but this move won't help him at all and might end up hurting him.

In general moving to Shaktar is probably fine, they've done quite well developing players I think, they obviously pay well and he's young enough that he can spend 2-3 years there and still have plenty of time left for a career in a bigger league. Quite a few outstanding Brazilians have started their time in Europe in smaller, less competitive, leagues. Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are the obvious examples I suppose. Makes for a smoother transition from South American football perhaps.

He was pretty much forced to go there. Atletico needed the money and Shakhtar were the only team to meet the valuation.

I don't buy that. Still weeks left of the transfer window. He could have waited for other options to arise. Clubs like Porto or Arsenal might have upped their offer, if not then Atletico would have been forced to drop their valuation if they were really desperate for money.

I'm frequently surprised by players signing contracts without release clauses, but for me at least with the history Shaktar has with hanging on to their top players and demanding massive sums for them I would be surprised if he hasn't been able to get a release clause in his contract. Especially seeing as he's not just some young up and coming talent (like some of the other Brazilians moving to Shaktar have been), he's an established player at this point that I think Shaktar were quite desperate to sign.

I don't buy that. Still weeks left of the transfer window. He could have waited for other options to arise. Clubs like Porto or Arsenal might have upped their offer, if not then Atletico would have been forced to drop their valuation if they were really desperate for money.

As with most South American based players, I'm sure there were several other parties involved in pushing him in the "right" direction.

Gutted he's gone to Shakhtar but happy he's not become a Goon.

Sounds like he wanted Porto but I'm going along with the two above posts as to the reasons for this deal.

He was there yesterday, today he is in London. If he was signing for Shakhtar why would be come back here. There's no way he's on his way back to Brazil already.

I reckon he's stalling until either Arsenal or Us make a bid and Shakhtar is his back up plan.

Agreed, I don't think he has any intention of going there, him visiting their facilities is merely a "COME AND GET ME I'M SOOOO CLOSE TO JOINING DONETSK!!!"

Spot on boys, spot on!

http://shakhtar.com/en/news/27889

Shakhtar Donetsk signed a 5-year deal with Bernard. The transfer fee for the Brazilian midfielder, who previously played for Atletico Mineiro, is 25 million euros.

At least he's not gone to Arsenal.

Hard to say how good this kid is but I am glad some other team is taking the risk and not us.

But it is funny (or is it?) that Arse are flush with funds but can't seem to get anyone to sign for them.

Back