• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berba & VDV

mattls

Stephane Dalmat
Just posing an interesting question..

If Spurs had kept VDV or bought in Berbatov this summer could Spurs have been potential title challengers?

I think our main weakness this season has been creating and scoring enough goals to put games away and we've relied on other parts of the team to get the goals apart from Defoe when he's started. I think if VDV or Berab were in the side it would have really helped us this season. Berba was only 5 mill, and was surprised Levy didnt go for that deal

Just watching Berba tonight, no disrespected to Fulham but he should be playing at a much higher level, maybe we can swap Ade for Barba this summer?? lol

I don't think so. Berbatov though would have meant we were qualifying for the CL pretty comfortable imo.

SAF would never have sold Verbs back to Levy. He is a vindictive cnut. VDV was a big loss imo, both goals and creativity.

In this team I think that someone like Berbatov would flourish more than VDV. With our current formation, a good striker up front would put chances away while the midfield could be compact. As someone else said, I think we would be in a much better position for the Champions League places.

Until we have adequate replacements for the likes of Aaron Lennon, we won't be title challengers IMO. When you play players out of position is someone gets injured, that's when you lose shape and have the potential to lose vital points in key games.

We wouldn't quite be challenging United IMO, but with either one of those two in the squad, I think we'd have been vying with City for 2nd place, rather than worrying about being caught by Arse and Chelsea.

Neither would fit in with AVB's way of thinking, and Bale may not have flourished had they stayed. We need more of a striker with pace who faces goal rather than someone who drops deep or plays with their back to goal.

I'm not convinced that VdV would've fitted in but I'm sure that AVB would have liked another option up front so that he could chop and change like he does with the centre backs and Berbatov is undoubtedly better suited to playing up front on his own than either Ade or Defoe.

This season' PL goals tallies say it all really...

Berbatov: 13 goals from 63 shots (25 games)
Defoe: 10 goals from 104 shots (29 games)
Adebayor: 2 goals from 28 shots (19 games)

I concur with previous posters who said that even with Berba we wouldn't quite be title challengers (need some decent quality understudies to Lennon and Bale for starters) but probably be closer to City at least.

Last edited:
Berbatov might have sorted out our goalscorer issue, but you could say the same about most of the strikers out there. That's not a particularly big compliment to Berbatov.

As for VDV? No. I don't think we've missed him that much. We missed him a bit in the early games, then Dempsey got going and we've never looked back. Especially as Bale has moved into his spot now, and is a superior player this season.

VDV, I'm not so sure about. Loved him at WHL but I just don't think he would have fit with how AVB plays the game. Too big a player to expect to sit on the bench. And would Bale have been able to emerge in his free role?

Berbatov, well any quality goal scorer would have been an upgrade on Ade and Defoe at the moment provided they were on form. Would certainly make the difference of a few key goals to get us maybe another 8 or 9 points, yes would put us right up there for 2nd.

But for a title challenge you would be talking about 20 points and I'd say we need two quality reliable goal scorers for that. The other area I think we are short on is simply winners: look at who City have gone out and bought, a lot of their players arrived having won Premierships, CL titles, or league titles abroad. A big reason we made strides in 2005 onwards was the signing of Davids - a real winner. Now who have we got? Gallas has won Premierships, Adebayor maybe has something? But I think we could do with a real leader, a true statesman on the game.

I'm not sure who is out there, Sneijder would have been good maybe. But if we could get someone in to boss the games like Chelsea did with Gullit back in the 90s, and also to really start pulling the big names, well that could put us on the map enough to make a difference.

Often thought about those 2 this season while moaning about Ade and Defoe....selling VDV without a replacement was careless and I doubt Levy wouldve wanted to go down the berba road after the way he dropped us...would've been alot better than ade has been though

VDV obviously (based on later events), left for personal reasons and while we have missed him, Dembele/Duece/Siggy and Bale's contributions have made up for the gap, in fact I question if Bale would have had the same season as VDV would have been the one on the inside.

Berbs however, I feel he would have had a huge impact, probably would have a bit more than the 13 he currently has (we certainly create more than Fulham), plus it might have been interesting to have him +Ade up front, they might have been able to form a partnership which could have helped Ade contribute more.

I would have to assume either bad blood between Berbs and Levy, or SAF did a bit of pay back, because for the money and options, can't see why Berbs would have chosen Fulham.

When Berba came up for sale for only 5 mill Levy should have been in there like a shoot imo, a no brainer but perhaps as some of you have said maybe there was bad blood between Levy and him or maybe at 32 Levy thought he was too old? I personally would have preferred him to Dempsey at 29 who imo has done ok but isnt in Berba's class when it comes to sitting up goals and taking chances. Levy often buys potential so that Dempsey signing went against the grain for me.

Say we do make the champions league.. At 32 could Berba do for a job for us next season if we tried to sign him in the summer?

Without doubt we need a striker in the summer though, would love to see one of Llorente or Negredo at the club.

I think more realistic question would be if we'd have tied up the signings of Moutinho and Damiao where would we be? If we had someone who could recycle possession like Modric did and like Moutinho does along with a striker that offers both a physical/build-up and a goal threat (Defoe & Ade only offer one or other) we'd be right up there. IMO I think we should make a serious move for Benteke this summer the guy is a fudging tank, fast, strong, great shot on him, good technique ! Would be getting another beast to keep Sandro company

Back