• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benjamin Stambouli

This is exactly the type of business we should be doing given our resources and long term stadium plan, these guys might not work out but we wont have broke the bank to find out. Last season we paid a lot of money for the potential of Lamela and the proven scoring record of Soldado and neither had a return for us, Lamela might come good but I think Soldado will never be able to get goals regularly in Premiership.

Last summer, as I said, involved getting the right 'type' of player, not the player himself. For Willian, think Lamela: for Hulk, think Chadli. Didn't work, as AVB's ignominious exit proved. And if AVB failed as a coach because he wasn't given exactly the kind of tools he needed, then what was our excuse for the same type of thing happening back in the Redknapp days? For all his faults, he was closer to being a 'success' than any of our other managers in recent memory, and we still did to him exactly what we did to AVB: we gave him the 'type' of player he asked for (Saha and Nelsen, CF and Cb, oh joy) and it didn't help us much.

Can we try something different? Should we? On the one hand, Poch seems to me like a genuinely capable manager, and thus we might not need to change the way we go about things: but on the other, we can't really tell him we're 'backing' him, which was what I thought we would do this summer.

Why doesn't AVB have the contacts / network / personal flexibility to offer a suggestion other than Moutinho though? Was it really the case that his whole style of football was only able to be implemented if he got either Luka Modric at Chelsea or Moutinho with us? Is there really no other player in the world that he could have signed to make it work?

We did go for Willian, he had a medical. Not really Levy's fault Roman decides to spite us for the ****s and giggles. Hulk again likely has wages way beyond our structure and probably a load of third party issues to get through. AVB get Lamela who is one of the brightest prospects in world football instead. I think we backed him enough there. But if he wanted players of a different type, he should have went for them. We can see immediately that Dembele is a completely different type of player to Modric. He's not incisive with his passing and doesn't release the ball in the same way. We all see it, so if Dembele was the Modric replacement why did AVB not step up and say 'absolutely no way, he's nowhere near what I need to make this intricate system work.' OR 'Yes we can sign him because he's talented and versatile, but it's of the utmost importance we get Moutinho or a similar type in too.'

As for Harry, if the CL push was relying on getting Cahill (coming to the end of his contract, so going for a reduced fee meaning Chelsea could blow our wages offer out of the park, plus he still gets first team football with them anyway) and Tevez (never in a million years affordable), then he didn't deserve to get CL football that year. It shows a lot about the type of manager that he is that there was no well scouted alternative to frankly unaffordable signings and so we end up with proven PL veterans.

This situation with Poch is like neither of those two. We are being completely priced out of a move for a good but not entirely unique player, and therefore we've moved on to a player of a very similar type, way more affordable, who is likely to be happy to be rotated considering we already have a similar player in the squad who has performed well and likely demonstrated to Poch he can play the system (Capoue)

Difficult to find good sources of information on this guy.

The youtube videos are a bit meh in my opinion. Some nice pieces of skill, and that's all. Tried looking for some videos highlighting all his involvements in a single game as they can be a bit more informative, but couldn't find any.

His stats are rather unimpressive, certainly a lot less impressive than Capoue's stats a year ago.

Not seeing a lot of opinion pieces either. A couple of links to Arsenal and Dortmund is a good sign I suppose, but even then very few people that know a lot about French football have been speaking out.

Found this article that is at least somewhat informative, although not exactly a rave review of our potential new signing:

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2013/12/22/three-pailladins-benjamin-stambouli/

Away at Valenciennes in game 13, Benjamin Stambouli played his 100th professional game for his club formateur, Montpellier. A native of Marseille, as a child he played for them, then FC Sion and CS Sedan Ardennes, where his father Henri was working, and ES Uzès Pont du Gard before joining MHSC at the age of 14. Part of the Gambardella-winning youth side of 2009, he was promoted from the reserves to the senior team for the 2010/11 season and has since made himself indispensable to la Paillade.

A defensive midfielder by trade, his back-up position as central defender has been coming in particularly useful in a season where Montpellier have had a terrible disciplinary record, with 10 red cards in the first 19 league games, and another in the league cup. He can drop back to the defensive line to prevent the need for an immediate substitution, and when the backline was most seriously impacted by unavailabilities, for the game against Saint-Etienne, he started as part of a back three. In the post-title hangover season, he also ended up playing in both fullback positions as injuries and suspensions took their toll.

This polyvalence is an ideal attribute for any Montpellier player. A lack of money and of squad depth coupled with the occasional feeling that anything that can go wrong does go wrong, means MHSC need players willing to give their all wherever they are put. Defensively solid, with a fine eye for an interception, he can also push play forward, combining with more attacking players in midfield with short passing and lay-offs to try to build up a break. His understanding with his old friend from the Gambardella days, Remy Cabella, is clear, but also with his usual sidekicks in midfield this season, Joris Marveaux and Morgan Sanson.

Stambouli capped his centenary match with an injury-time equaliser, only his second league goal for the club (his first, a late consolation, barely celebrated, came away at Bordeaux in the 4-2 defeat in April 2013; he also scored in the 120th minute of the 3-2 League Cup defeat at Sochaux). It was the second time in a row that Montpellier had conceded early, and escaped with a 91st minute leveller – not great for their fans’ collective blood pressure, but a sign, again, of some dogged determination in the team. Playing every minute of the 18 league games he has been available for (he was suspended for game 7), he is Montpellier’s most-used player, and he encapsulates a much-needed never-say-die attitude.

Stambouli sums up many of Montpellier’s positive defining characteristics, therefore – the guy who has come up through the ranks, plays wherever, never stops, and whose loyalties are evident to see. It was him atop the epic pile-on after the last-minute winner against Lille that set up the title win (and who, with Giroud, then threw his shorts to the ultras). It was him, at half-time in the eerily quiet opening game of the 2012/13 season, who went to ask the striking fans of Etang de Thau to start singing, as the team needed their support.

At only 23, he wears the captain’s armband in the absence of Vitorino Hilton, and has taken to this new role like a natural, chivvying the backline, urging his teammates on, negotiating diplomatically with referees. Montpellier have undergone another managerial change after a disappointing series of results, and their Christmas present is to be genuine relegation contenders. They sit 17th on 17, only four points above the red zone, and as Valenciennes and Sochaux start to pull themselves together, Montpellier need to do the same. Game 20 will be at home to Monaco – now Stambouli is needed more than ever, both as a player, and a leader.

Attitude, energy, work rate type stuff being highlighted.

Why doesn't AVB have the contacts / network / personal flexibility to offer a suggestion other than Moutinho though? Was it really the case that his whole style of football was only able to be implemented if he got either Luka Modric at Chelsea or Moutinho with us? Is there really no other player in the world that he could have signed to make it work?

We did go for Willian, he had a medical. Not really Levy's fault Roman decides to spite us for the ****s and giggles. Hulk again likely has wages way beyond our structure and probably a load of third party issues to get through. AVB get Lamela who is one of the brightest prospects in world football instead. I think we backed him enough there. But if he wanted players of a different type, he should have went for them. We can see immediately that Dembele is a completely different type of player to Modric. He's not incisive with his passing and doesn't release the ball in the same way. We all see it, so if Dembele was the Modric replacement why did AVB not step up and say 'absolutely no way, he's nowhere near what I need to make this intricate system work.' OR 'Yes we can sign him because he's talented and versatile, but it's of the utmost importance we get Moutinho or a similar type in too.'

As for Harry, if the CL push was relying on getting Cahill (coming to the end of his contract, so going for a reduced fee meaning Chelsea could blow our wages offer out of the park, plus he still gets first team football with them anyway) and Tevez (never in a million years affordable), then he didn't deserve to get CL football that year. It shows a lot about the type of manager that he is that there was no well scouted alternative to frankly unaffordable signings and so we end up with proven PL veterans.

This situation with Poch is like neither of those two. We are being completely priced out of a move for a good but not entirely unique player, and therefore we've moved on to a player of a very similar type, way more affordable, who is likely to be happy to be rotated considering we already have a similar player in the squad who has performed well and likely demonstrated to Poch he can play the system (Capoue)

I agree.

Lamela is not really all that similar to Willian, Dembele is not similar to Modric really, Saha isn't the same type of player as Tevez.

I agree with you, I've said it before and I'll say it again: You can't have your targets like Tevez, Moutinho, Hulk and Willian without also having backup targets that you also think can do a job. If those backup targets were Nelsen, Saha, Dembele and Lamela/Chadli then that's what we got. But they don't strike me as similar players.

Fazio was arguably third choice (perhaps 5th, perhaps 2nd, probably not 1st). In him we ended up with a player that Poch seemingly rates (going by the comments from Ossie at least).

We want another central/deep midfielder that's good on the ball. This much seems clear. How far down the list of targets Stambouli is I won't even try to speculate, but the important part is that hopefully it's someone Poch and Baldini agrees will be a good signing. What I think is very unlikely is that this is some panic buy instigated by Levy.

Perhaps it even signifies a change from looking for a first choice central midfielder (Schneiderlin) as the right one couldn't be signed, to trusting young Bentaleb to do the job most of the time whilst bringing in another player with some skill on the ball to stop us being as much of a muchness and give us options? If so it seems like a perfectly reasonable strategy.

stolen from a swansea fan :)

BveM4zCIcAA2L1B.png:medium

i thought this video showed a lot about him...

[video=youtube;ADSDRsFYocY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ADSDRsFYocY[/video]

I love the key passes stat that I see knocking about on various charts and such, so beautifully vague.

Interesting one here though, considering I live in the country I should be more interested but not watched a huge amount of French football and have no idea who this guy is. Like what I'm hearing though, especially about his ability to play CB and FB also.

There's no way to know for sure, but I suspect that was AVB's thinking on Dembele's transfer: 'fine, this guy'll suit us, but I need a passing midfielder too: how's that Moutinho transfer coming along, Daniel?

....Daniel?'

These instances of excessive historical revisionism when it comes to AVB are ridiculous and uncalled for. He wasn't a bad manager, or inflexible: he scrapped his entire early tactical approach once it became clear that Bale was primed to blast the league apart and refocused it to be purely based on Gareth getting all the time and space he needed. He then reintroduced his initial system in his second season, but with players he didn't feel were suited to it. The first gamble worked. The second didn't. And as for Harry, that's an entirely different can of worms: maybe Cahill and Tevez were excessive, maybe not. We played around with 30 million pound bids for Aguero, Rossi and Llorente on the last day of the January window in 2011, but one year on that was deemed unacceptably expensive. Fair enough, but to go from that class of player to Louis Saha and Ryan Nelsen on free transfers is just ludicrously hard to defend. And come on, 'PL proven veterans' is overselling their value by an enormous degree.

I thought we'd accepted that maybe we didn't back our previous managers as much as we should have, their personal faults aside. I guess not. In any case, it's history, and I guess if Poch likes Stambouli instead of Schneiderlin (if, if, if), then some of my criticism was uncalled for. I'm still dubious on it, but sure, I'll go with it for now.

Different men. Different personalities. Different issues…it's all good mate. Don't fret.

Yeah, I shouldn't let this dampen my optimism for the season ahead, I apologise.

Last edited:
Like all our new signings I see Stambouli as a player who will strengthen our squad. It's been an absolutely brilliant window so far, except for the Vorm situation.

Last edited:
There's no way to know for sure, but I suspect that was AVB's thinking on Dembele's transfer: 'fine, this guy'll suit us, but I need a passing midfielder too: how's that Moutinho transfer coming along, Daniel?

....Daniel?'

These instances of excessive historical revisionism when it comes to AVB are ridiculous and uncalled for. He wasn't a bad manager, or inflexible: he scrapped his entire early tactical approach once it became clear that Bale was primed to blast the league apart and refocused it to be purely based on Gareth getting all the time and space he needed. He then reintroduced his initial system in his second season, but with players he didn't feel were suited to it. The first gamble worked. The second didn't. And as for Harry, that's an entirely different can of worms: maybe Cahill and Tevez were excessive, maybe not. We played around with 30 million pound bids for Aguero, Rossi and Llorente on the last day of the January window in 2011, but one year on that was deemed unacceptably expensive. Fair enough, but to go from that class of player to Louis Saha and Ryan Nelsen on free transfers is just ludicrously hard to defend. And come on, 'PL proven veterans' is overselling their value by an enormous degree.

I thought we'd accepted that maybe we didn't back our previous managers as much as we should have, their personal faults aside. I guess not. In any case, it's history, and I guess if Poch likes Stambouli instead of Schneiderlin (if, if, if), then some of my criticism was uncalled for. I'm still dubious on it, but sure, I'll go with it for now.

Yeah, I shouldn't let this dampen my optimism for the season ahead, I apologise.

We went well above the value we had set as our limit in the pursuit of Moutinho, a limit AVB knew about and would have been on board with. Judging by some ITK we have done the same with Schneiderlin, but we can't force anyone to sell to us.

I played a lot of PES with Montpellier last year - Stambouli bossed the midfield. That's about what I know about him. :lol:

We went well above the value we had set as our limit in the pursuit of Moutinho, a limit AVB knew about and would have been on board with. Judging by some ITK we have done the same with Schneiderlin, but we can't force anyone to sell to us.

Like I said, he walked out after not being given the players he wanted, which seems like a fairly accepted fact: whether that makes him a bad manager or not is what has been debated here, but that fact itself seems pretty much the consensus. Hence, I doubt he'd have been on board with not getting Moutinho in the end, especially given that we sold Modric in that window and needed to find a player just like him to keep the transition from Harry to AVB from being too jarring.

We've seemingly gone in with bids above our 'declared' final value for many players over the years, but I've rarely seen those deals come to fruition. Whether that is because those bids were mostly smoke and mirrors (as indicated by the final day shenanigans in 2011 for Aguero, Llorente, Rossi et al) or because in the end, we balked at doing everything necessary to force a deal through even if said deal didn't agree with Levy's idea of a value signing....that is yet to be decided. And either way, it doesn't sound all that great to me, although I freely admit that others may hold different opinions on the viability of such signings. Personally, I believe the Schneiderlin deal was achievable: I believe we mucked it up by messing around with 10 million pound lowball bids after Southampton had already incurred their fans' ire and thus were in a vulnerable position when it came to compromising on the high fees they were demanding for their valued players, I believe Schneiderlin wanted to come here and thought a deal was close to being finalised, and I believe we can still pull it off now if we pay over the odds. And I believe that eventually, Schneiderlin will be a magnificent signing for Arsenal or Chelsea or whoever he signs for in January or next summer, because by then we won't have a hope in hell of getting him over everyone else, what with Poch's appeal having waned by then and our market limitations having kicked in.

Whatever though, I won't harp on it. Hopefully Stambouli comes good, if he is indeed the replacement for the Schneiderlin signing. I wasn't all that impressed by his Youtube fare, but other people here seem to think he's the bees' knees, so who am I to go against the tide of public opinion on the matter?

Right - the song...

Ben-jammin... we all like Ben-jammin too... Ben-jammin, ben-jammin, ben-jammin...

Keep it simple folks :D

Back