• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maltese Falcon

Niko Kranjcar
No... not what some of you lot will be on this evening.:p

Tottenham step up transfer chase for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Sven Bender

22:30, 31 JULY 2015 BY JOHN CROSS

Tottenham are ready to make a move for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Sven Bender.
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is desperate for a new holding midfielder and has so far been rebuffed in an attempt to get Everton's James McCarthy.
But they are now looking at 24-year-old Bender who was left on the substitutes' bench for the club's Europa League game against Wolfsberger on Thursday night.
Bender - along with his brother Lars - has been a target for Arsenal in the past but now Spurs are ready to move in.

Now I am no big fan of stats but even for sceptic like me looks mighty impressive; ticks the boxes of the player we need as a defensive shield...

Would be surprised if Dortmund let him go... though he does not seem to be a regular - played only 20 games last year. Understandable in a team with the likes of Gundogan, Mikhtaryan, Sahin, Reus, Błaszczykowski et al

Bender.jpg

We live in hope

What's that Defence Score made up of? Looking at the other 4 statistical categories you would think Bender would be miles ahead of Bentaleb and McCarthy.

What's that Defence Score made up of? Looking at the other 4 statistical categories you would think Bender would be miles ahead of Bentaleb and McCarthy.
I always ignore those defence and attack scores. They're not objective enough to be of any use.

No... not what some of you lot will be on this evening.:p

Tottenham step up transfer chase for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Sven Bender

22:30, 31 JULY 2015 BY JOHN CROSS

Tottenham are ready to make a move for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Sven Bender.
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is desperate for a new holding midfielder and has so far been rebuffed in an attempt to get Everton's James McCarthy.
But they are now looking at 24-year-old Bender who was left on the substitutes' bench for the club's Europa League game against Wolfsberger on Thursday night.
Bender - along with his brother Lars - has been a target for Ar5ena1 in the past but now Spurs are ready to move in.

Now I am no big fan of stats but even for sceptic like me looks mighty impressive; ticks the boxes of the player we need as a defensive shield...

Would be surprised if Dortmund let him go... though he does not seem to be a regular - played only 20 games last year. Understandable in a team with the likes of Gundogan, Mikhtaryan, Sahin, Reus, Błaszczykowski et al

View attachment 2388

We live in hope
His defensive stats are pretty good, but he'll need to improve on his pass accuracy to fit into our midfield.

As long as he gives our back four cover, tracks runners, does not ball watch, and does not allow opposing players to run in behind him that will do for now as its better then what we have at the moment.

I don't think that is all Poch is looking for though. Being comfortable on the ball and being able to pick a quick pass seem to be high up his wishlist.

His defensive stats are pretty good, but he'll need to improve on his pass accuracy to fit into our midfield.

This is also where you have to be careful of stats. I'd be interested to see WHY his passing accuracy is low, by watching videos of him playing. Does he try difficult balls that are low percentage but dangerous if they come off? I think that's how Poch wants his midfield to play. I think that's why Mason is in the team over Dembele. Dembele's passing accuracy is probably great, as he only knocks it sideways to an easy team mate half the time. Mason does look to release the early difficult ball. It's just that we have to be prepared to press to win back possession as soon as it's lost.

In that respect, I'm unsure if passing accuracy is the primary thing we're looking for, although we want them to be an accurate passer, if that makes sense :)

As long as he gives our back four cover, tracks runners, does not ball watch, and does not allow opposing players to run in behind him that will do for now as its better then what we have at the moment.
We play possession football - you can't have a weak link like that in a team that plays like us - especially not in central midfield.

Think what it's like when Townsend's playing - intricate passing in little triangles, we've got the ball for 15-20 passes, the opposition is getting pulled out of shape and tired from all the chasing.

Then Townsend gets the ball and the next person to touch the ball is either the lino or some poor sod in row z

I don't think that is all Poch is looking for though. Being comfortable on the ball and being able to pick a quick pass seem to be high up his wishlist.

Can you think of any DM who is BOTH excellent at breaking up play as well as picking a quick accurate pass AND who we can afford, is available and would be willing to come to us...

I would rather get a really decent player who does the things that Parklane mentions and whose remit is to pass to Bentaleb, Eriksen or Alli in front of him than someone who is half decent in both areas but not really outstanding in any...

We play possession football - you can't have a weak link like that in a team that plays like us - especially not in central midfield.

Think what it's like when Townsend's playing - intricate passing in little triangles, we've got the ball for 15-20 passes, the opposition is getting pulled out of shape and tired from all the chasing.

Then Townsend gets the ball and the next person to touch the ball is either the lino or some poor sod in row z

Can't resist a Townsend jibe, can we?

That's not to say I don't necessarily agree with you but you could say just the same for Lamela and Dembele and their propensity to dirbble themselves into a blind alley...

Can you think of any DM who is BOTH excellent at breaking up play as well as picking a quick accurate pass AND who we can afford, is available and would be willing to come to us...

I would rather get a really decent player who does the things that Parklane mentions and whose remit is to pass to Bentaleb, Eriksen or Alli in front of him than someone who is half decent in both areas but not really outstanding in any...

Don't think Pochettino has ever played with such a player in his teams.

I don't think that Poch is after an out and out DM.

Singing weve got be bender at the back, singing weve got bender at the back, weve got bender, weve got bender, weve got bender at the back

We do have Veljkovic who fits this description pretty well. He's not the most mobile and you won't see him haring around the field launching into tackles but he does read the game very well whilst being able to move the ball quickly and efficiently, he's more of a Busquets type DM than a Scott Parker. It's said that Poch doesn't rate him though so I doubt we'll see him in a Spurs shirt any time soon, hopefully he gets a good loan and impresses enough that he becomes an option in the future, whether that's as a DM or a CB.

This is also where you have to be careful of stats. I'd be interested to see WHY his passing accuracy is low, by watching videos of him playing. Does he try difficult balls that are low percentage but dangerous if they come off? I think that's how Poch wants his midfield to play. I think that's why Mason is in the team over Dembele. Dembele's passing accuracy is probably great, as he only knocks it sideways to an easy team mate half the time. Mason does look to release the early difficult ball. It's just that we have to be prepared to press to win back possession as soon as it's lost.

In that respect, I'm unsure if passing accuracy is the primary thing we're looking for, although we want them to be an accurate passer, if that makes sense :)
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...tal_passes/avg_pass_length/chances_created#90

He sits more than either of our current two and most of his passes are reasonably short.

Don't get me wrong, 79% isn't a terrible completion rate, it's just not very good either. I really like the way he defends (more Carrick than Parker/Carragher), I just think he'll be a weak link in our passing unless he can improve.

Kramer fits that description well except for maybe 'willing to come to us', but you never know.

We got Carrick. It's just a matter of getting them on the way up

Bender would just be a pretender, as useful as a street vendor, are we even sure of his gender,does he want to be an east-ender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back