• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Perhaps he was expecting Reggie to backtrack and mark the goal scorer?
Maybe Reggie deserves most of the blame, he should never have allowed James to get the run on him, but neither should Davies be hoping someone else will clear it. If there is a chance he can get to it first he has to be taking the responsibility himself.

It's not as though it's the first time he's been caught out like that this season either.

On top of his mostly solid defending Conte's formation and tactics afford Davies alot of freedom to get forward from LCB. In the last 3 games he has burst forward on a number of occasions and always seems to be spare as I don't think the oppo are expecting him to be there. He gets ahead of or around Regulion/Sessegnon with regularity and causes a bit of confusion in their defence.

He has become a key player in this set up. Who'd have thought eh?

Last edited:
On top of his mostly solid defending Conte's formation and tactics afford Davies alot of freedom to get forward from LCB. In the last 3 games he has burst forward on a number of occasions and always seems to be spare as I don't think the oppo are expecting him to be there. He gets ahead of or around Regulion/Sessegnon with regularity and causes a bit of confusion in their defence.

He has become a key player in this set up. Who'd have thought eh?

Looks very assured, confident and enjoying the game. Win win as I think Ben is a very limited player but has the right attitude and basics right to being a genuine option.

Looks very assured, confident and enjoying the game. Win win as I think Ben is a very limited player but has the right attitude and basics right to being a genuine option.

A very limited player he is not.

Is main limitations are a lack of speed for a full/wing back and a slight lack of height for a centre back.

Other than that he's a rather well rounded player. Does a lot of things well. Playing in a role that suits his strengths better gets more out of him, as it is with every player.

A very limited player he is not.

Is main limitations are a lack of speed for a full/wing back and a slight lack of height for a centre back.

Other than that he's a rather well rounded player. Does a lot of things well. Playing in a role that suits his strengths better gets more out of him, as it is with every player.

Thanks for that nugget :p.

He lacks pace, doesn't have a great leap to head a ball, his passing is bang average, his tackling is decent, his positional play is average, his work rate is brilliant.

Last edited:
Thanks for that nugget :p.

He lacks pace, doesn't have a great leap to head a ball, his passing is bang average, his tackling is decent, his positional play is average, his work rate is brilliant.

Full back is one of the positions where pace is most important of any position in the modern game. Davies has been able to play at a very high level, including being a fairly regular starter when we were consistently top four despite being rather slow for a full back. How he's been able to do that while being a very limited player is a mystery to me.

I guess it depends who you compare him to on those other attributes. We must be seeing different things, probably best to agree to disagree.

Slow and soft in duals. Smart enough to compensate but against PL players sometimes smartness is not enough.

Slow for a full back, but not really slow for a centre back, even one playing LCB in a back three.

Don't think he's soft in duels at all. For many years now he's been well capable of absolutely uncompromising tackles. But he knows, particularly as a full back, that if he loses that tackle he won't be able to recover so he doesn't make them as often as he could. Generally been rather strong in aerial duels too. Doesn't win as many as a towering CB, but rarely gives the opponents an easy header. Tough into the duels.

No doubt against some of the best in the league he has struggled in the past and will struggle in the future if exposed. As is true for a lot of players even at or near the top of the league. He's not Kyle Walker, someone you can leave exposed one vs. one and trust to come out on top most of the time.

Very happy about his performances so far as LCB and expect more of the same.

We will see when we meet the Top 6 again this time with a higher line.

Quite sure now the opposition will target the space behind our defence and I've not seen Davies or Dier fare well in those situations.

Tanganga and Sanchez I think will do better with their better mobility and pace.

Slow for a full back, but not really slow for a centre back, even one playing LCB in a back three.

Don't think he's soft in duels at all. For many years now he's been well capable of absolutely uncompromising tackles. But he knows, particularly as a full back, that if he loses that tackle he won't be able to recover so he doesn't make them as often as he could. Generally been rather strong in aerial duels too. Doesn't win as many as a towering CB, but rarely gives the opponents an easy header. Tough into the duels.

No doubt against some of the best in the league he has struggled in the past and will struggle in the future if exposed. As is true for a lot of players even at or near the top of the league. He's not Kyle Walker, someone you can leave exposed one vs. one and trust to come out on top most of the time.

Very happy about his performances so far as LCB and expect more of the same.
Yeah. I'm fully expecting him to come a cropper against Salah though. He won't be the first, and certainly not the last this season.

We will see when we meet the Top 6 again this time with a higher line.

Quite sure now the opposition will target the space behind our defence and I've not seen Davies or Dier fare well in those situations.

Tanganga and Sanchez I think will do better with their better mobility and pace.
It’s a shame that with their mobility and pace as you call it their positioning and/or decision making is so bad

It’s a shame that with their mobility and pace as you call it their positioning and/or decision making is so bad
Perhaps that's why they are so bad? As youngsters, they could rely on pace and physicality to get themselves out of trouble, but got found out at the top level. Whereas the slower kids had to learn how to read the game. That said, I really wouldn't expect such lazy coaching at Ajax.

Perhaps that's why they are so bad? As youngsters, they could rely on pace and physicality to get themselves out of trouble, but got found out at the top level. Whereas the slower kids had to learn how to read the game. That said, I really wouldn't expect such lazy coaching at Ajax.
He only had a brief period at ajax

Back