• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Definitely. If it was truly as strong as the "first 11" would have you believe...then why the unrest from Rose last season and Toby this?

Money talks. Spurs can afford to pay them, don't believe any flimflam to the contrary. The problem is that DL for all his business acumen, is a stubborn mule and won't budge on the clubs wage structure. Even when all the signs of modern football point to this being our final hurdle to overcome.

I often wonder if he does it because he enjoys the headlines and publicity.

Agreed with your first post but don’t really agree with this. Levy has always managed us sensibly and kept our wage spend in line with our turnover (which if I’m not wrong is around 45% to 50% of turnover). That’s what even some of the big hitters pay including City and United.

We added around £100m of revenue last year which should mean an increase of £45m on wages from £100m. That’s a 45% increase. Toby is looking for 300%. While there will be room to give some more than others, 300% is insane really (we’ve reportedly offered to double his wages which sounds like we’re even pushing it at that).

Levy is a great chairman - he has to loosen the purse strings on wages and I think he will but he has to do it in a sensible and controlled way. A 300% increase for Toby is not the way to do it for several reasons despite what we want as fans.

Spurs can afford to pay them, don't believe any flimflam to the contrary. The problem is that DL for all his business acumen, is a stubborn mule and won't budge on the clubs wage structure...I often wonder if he does it because he enjoys the headlines and publicity.
Your first couple of posts made sense and I agreed, but this post is absolutely macaronic.

He pays the players on par with the clubs around us when taking in to account wages to % of turnover - asides from Liverpool the top 6 are give or take around the same.

As our turnover increases over the coming years wages which get renegotiated will reflect that. If our our wage % to turnover considerably drops as revenue rises then it will be time to ask questions
Our wages to turnover is around 42% down from 49, city is 56, Chelsea is 62 .

Point taken re my assumption regarding all the top 6 as a whole, but how about Arsenal and United, the two non-bankrolled clubs, who we should probably be looking at as better examples for how to run a club within it's own means?

I haven't looked in to it in detail but would that be in part due to the big rise in TV revenue kicking in and our last round of contract renewals being the year previous?(before transfers/wages went through the roof) Id expect the % to rise with the next batch of contract renewals which will be much higher.

Though as Bedfordspurs said earlier this may take a couple of years to realign

Last edited:
Lots of contract extensions signed in 2016 (same period of the accounts).

Not arguing the rights and wrongs of it but we are by far the lowest wages to turnover, and it went down significantly on the previous years. man u 45% but they have stupid revenue.

Lots of contract extensions signed in 2016 (same period of the accounts).

Not arguing the rights and wrongs of it but we are by far the lowest wages to turnover, and it went down significantly on the previous years. man u 45% but they have stupid revenue.

Contract extensions were signed that year, yes, but that was before the horse had bolted and hence why our players are looking for big wage hikes now...

You could say Levy was clever to get so many tied down that year as it essentially tied the players to contracts with their wages set to the previous market rate (if there is such a thing for footballers wage) and saved the club a chunk of money. I expect to see similar round of extensions in the summer as we head in to the new stadium.

Last edited:
You could but I was just commenting that we do not have comparable w/t as those around us and it has gone down significantly.

You can certainly position it the way you have however the problem with that approach though is if we told players wages go up inline with turnover and it didn't, next round of negotiations they are going to be less trusting and more aggressive.

In my negotiations I care about next years inflation and if I undershot last year I am going to go high.

Can't believe this thread was on page 4.
He is having a great season and has really seized the opportunity to make the LB spot his own.
But the purpose of resurrecting this thread is to link to an interview with him on the OS.
An extract below - gives me goosebumps to read.

Speaking after training on Wednesday, Ben summed up the feeling of the players after Chelsea.
"There is competition for places everywhere but everyone wants the best for the Club," said Ben.
"Whoever is on the pitch for a particular game, it’s about supporting them and wanting the best for the team.

"You saw Harry on the bench when we scored the second goal at Chelsea, a huge goal and it was as if he’d scored the goal himself. I’m sure he was devastated he couldn’t start a game like that but that’s irrelevant when the whistle goes at the start of the game because it’s about Tottenham Hotspur, not the names on the teamsheet, but winning the game for the Club, no matter who is out there.
"We all want the best for this Club as does everyone involved and if you are not on the pitch or on the bench and not playing, it doesn’t matter, because every player is there every day and as much part of the team as the players who play most weeks. Without them, it doesn’t work, we don’t have the same training, the same intensity and that’s the feeling we have throughout the squad. That’s been huge this season.

"Everyone is settled and that shows on the pitch in our performances - everyone wants the best for this Club.

"The emotions at Chelsea when we scored the goals, after the game, that was real. This is our team. This is what we want to do. It’s one Club, players, staff, fans and everyone has one goal and that’s to push us forward and wins like that make it feel all the more special."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/ben-davies-on-togetherness-050418/

Ben Davies! My new favorite player. :D

You could but I was just commenting that we do not have comparable w/t as those around us and it has gone down significantly.

You can certainly position it the way you have however the problem with that approach though is if we told players wages go up inline with turnover and it didn't, next round of negotiations they are going to be less trusting and more aggressive.

In my negotiations I care about next years inflation and if I undershot last year I am going to go high.

Well that would entirely depend on how the club play it but they agreed deals with all parties happy last time out so i don't see any reason to doubt them doing so again

I think Chelsea are struggling in part because of those wage numbers. They spent a good chunk of cash this season, but that was the first season in a while they've had a significant net spend.

Latest Deloitte numbers have their turnover at £368m. Had their wage to turnover been 50% that's another 12% of their turnover that could have been spent on transfers. That's £44m per season. Even half that would have given then significantly more freedom in the transfer market.

Jesus, didn’t realise he’d been that influential. He’s a very good player that I’ve always liked but I did think Rose was a different class.

While he’s still prone to the odd stinker, it’s a sign of how far he’s come and how far Rose has regressed that Davies is our undisputed first choice left back.

Honestly dont think the gap is all that wide between them, and was arguing as much last year.

The difference is mostly style preference and perception.

Rose goes charging around, with his little legs going 10 to the dozen, and people have the preconception he is "attacking" and "dynamic" and inform their opinions accordingly.

Davies is less flashy, less eye catching. He does his job quietly and efficiently. Being less memorable people just assume he isnt as good.

Honestly Ive preferred him for some time. I know others disagree, and thats fine - but in having those conversations it was also obvious that statistically there was virtually nothing between them (as of August/September), so there was no tangible difference other than what your eye catches.

My preference for Rose is more to do with how the team can play/be set up with a pacier/more athletic player in the full back position than without - it's entirely possible for a side to play better with a player who individually racks up less impressive stats. Similar to Walker/Trippier - Trippier obviously has a better final ball than Walker and racks up more impressive assist numbers but Walkers pace/driving runs give opposition more to think about and creates more space for the attackers to play in, it's similar with Rose/Davies for me and something that often seems to get lossed in your assessment...

That said Davies is certainly having a great season and well worth his place in the team - Rose isn't close to offering any sort of threat to his position atm so the argument is moot at this point really. If Rose gets back in to shape and up to speed then it will be an interesting battle to see play out.

My preference for Rose is more to do with how the team can play/be set up with a pacier/more athletic player in the full back position than without - it's entirely possible for a side to play better with a player who individually racks up less impressive stats. Similar to Walker/Trippier - Trippier obviously has a better final ball than Walker and racks up more impressive assist numbers but Walkers pace/driving runs give opposition more to think about and creates more space for the attackers to play in, it's similar with Rose/Davies for me and something that often seems to get lossed in your assessment...

That said Davies is certainly having a great season and well worth his place in the team - Rose isn't close to offering any sort of threat to his position atm so the argument is moot at this point really. If Rose gets back in to shape and up to speed then it will be an interesting battle to see play out.

I think some people have short memories. When we had Walker and Rose at the same time at their peak, most of us said they were the best right back and left back in the country/Premier League respectively and rightly so. Both used to be average defenders but they both improved defensively and both are ferocious athletes and gave us a different dimension in terms of speed and power than our current set of FB's give us IMO.

Walker no longer plays for Spurs and he almost overnight went from being the best right back in the league to merely one of the best and a player we "haven't missed at all". Will be exactly the same if Rose ends up leaving in the summer.

My belief is a defenders first job is to defend anything else is a bonus, Davies looks more assured in defence and is a better passer than Rose. The pace Rose offers adds something to our attack but his final ball is sketchy. I feel more comfortable when we play 3 at the back as both full backs (whoever they are) look more comfortable. We are definitely lucky to have such cover in these positions, says he with memories of Austin and Edinburgh as our automatic starters.

Back