• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Last season Davies and Rose started 18 games each.

Doing the maths myself, so beware of errors. But from what I can tell we picked up 2.05 points per game from the games Rose started. Our overall points per game was 2.26.

We might be able to find that Rose started in tougher games overall. Not saying this proves anything. Just trying to move it past looking at a handful of cherry picked games.

Doing the maths myself, so beware of errors. But from what I can tell we picked up 2.05 points per game from the games Rose started. Our overall points per game was 2.26.

We might be able to find that Rose started in tougher games overall. Not saying this proves anything. Just trying to move it past looking at a handful of cherry picked games.

I am not trying to diminish his contribution but I think that Davies started more in the second half of the season when the whole team was on a stronger run of form.

you're trying to move past '3 cherry picked games' which i have already told you are not the focus of my point or the base of my logic - they were just to highlight the type of games i am referring to. I made plenty of other posts yesterday that don't reference those 3 games as an afterthought, if you want to discuss any of those feel free to have a read back.

with regards to your previous post Dortmund defended like a pub side and if our rivals domestically defended like that week in week out we'd waltz the league with academy players at full back, not a fair comparison at all. neither is it fair to use APOEL who for starters didn't sit back and actually tried to take the game to us somewhat and of course that they just don't have the quality to keep a premier league side quiet - may as well use the Millwall and Aston Villa cup games in your favor too. (wasn't your own summary of this game that we were lucky to win and that APOEL had the better chances?)

Last edited:
I am not trying to diminish his contribution but I think that Davies started more in the second half of the season when the whole team was on a stronger run of form.
True. And this August the team suffered from Kane's August thingy, just like last season.

you're trying to move past '3 cherry picked games' which i have already told you are not the focus of my point or the base of my logic - they were just to highlight the type of games i am referring to. I made plenty of other posts yesterday that don't reference those 3 games as an afterthought, if you want to discuss any of those feel free to have a read back.

with regards to your previous post Dortmund defended like a pub side and if our rivals domestically defended like that week in week out we'd waltz the league with academy players at full back, not a fair comparison at all. neither is it fair to use APOEL who for starters didn't sit back and actually tried to take the game to us somewhat and of course that they just don't have the quality to keep a premier league side quiet - may as well use the Millwall and Aston Villa cup games in your favor too. (wasn't your own summary of this game that we were lucky to win and that APOEL had the better chances?)

Defended like a pub side that are top of the Bundesliga. We did well in that game against a very good team. That defended no worse than Liverpool and Arsenal do at times.

I don't think I said they had the better chances, but could be wrong. They did have chances, most of them coming down our right hand side. Stopped when Trippier was moved there. APOEL might not be the kind of team that would survive in the PL, but they have proven themselves a tough opposition for many a team in Europe. CL QF and EL round of 16 in the last 5 years. They aren't pushovers. And part of their tactic is sitting back. Like they did in the first half against us when we had 65% possession. After we scored that obviously changed a bit, as it does with most teams.

True. And this August the team suffered from Kane's August thingy, just like last season.

Defended like a pub side that are top of the Bundesliga. We did well in that game against a very good team. That defended no worse than Liverpool and Arsenal do at times.

I don't think I said they had the better chances, but could be wrong. They did have chances, most of them coming down our right hand side. Stopped when Trippier was moved there. APOEL might not be the kind of team that would survive in the PL, but they have proven themselves a tough opposition for many a team in Europe. CL QF and EL round of 16 in the last 5 years. They aren't pushovers. And part of their tactic is sitting back. Like they did in the first half against us when we had 65% possession. After we scored that obviously changed a bit, as it does with most teams.

I have to say the way Dortmund defended against us was criminally bad. It’s so bad it’s on par with Liverpool’s defence

But Davies was brilliant that game and was IMO the MOTM

I think Pochettino always does what is best for the team. I dont think he gets personal.

Rose has had an outburst, if he comes in and is brilliant I have no doubt he will stay in - even if Pochettino hates his guts.

We went with wing backs, relieving defensive duties, we then switched to a player with a far superior passing/crossing ability. Its really not that complicated is it?

Chelsea? We battered them for the most part but were undone by the fact they were more clinical than we were. An issue we have had for most of the early part of the season, nothing to do with the full backs.
By the way, that game we had twice the possession, twice the shots, thrice shots on target (they scored with both of theirs) and 4 times the corners. "Attacking" and "getting in behind" were not issues, "finishing" was.

We got Aurier because we had only one RB/WB and of course needed another. Long term I actually think Aurier will be better than both Walker and Trippier - which lets be honest, is a proper way to improve a squad.

Indeed Poch does do what he thinks is best for the team; like he did in the case of Bentaleb, Townsend, Ade etc when players didn't seem to be pulling towards the team ethic he requires. Walker situation seemed no different; happy to hear how you think it was.

Before i even begin to address your other points, can i ask you:
At the time of the FA Cup semi-final vs Chelsea, did you HONESTLY believe and/or expect that Trippier would start the game ahead of Walker? Was that really YOUR PERSONAL preference at that time?

imo if Walker and Rose had played that game then Conte would have come up with a gameplan to minimise their effect. Just because we did a number on them earlier in the season at home doesnt mean that the same would have happened again. Conte is a winner, very very clever and he would have anyway stopped Rose and walker getting in behind.

Anyone could also say "If Poch had seen what Conte would have come up with and countered it."
Swings and roundabouts

Indeed Poch does do what he thinks is best for the team; like he did in the case of Bentaleb, Townsend, Ade etc when players didn't seem to be pulling towards the team ethic he requires. Walker situation seemed no different; happy to hear how you think it was.

Before i even begin to address your other points, can i ask you:
At the time of the FA Cup semi-final vs Chelsea, did you HONESTLY believe and/or expect that Trippier would start the game ahead of Walker? Was that really YOUR PERSONAL preference at that time?

What Walker situation? It was alleged that he had a bust up in training. Nothing proven to my knowledge. And in Walkers defence his performances remained consistent. On which basis Im not sure I see the likeness to Ade and co, who were all playing like dogs as well as openly showing poor attitudes.

As to the semi, yes, I did think Trippier would play. He was clearly preferred at the time so I saw no reason it would change.

Of the two Walker is the better defender, but Trippier by far the better attacker. In the wing back system I quite expected Trippier to become more prominent and so it proved.

If I can be honest though, I really dont want to go round and round again on this. I think Ive presented my opinion pretty comprehensively, so it seems a little repetitive to get into it for another few rounds ;).

What Walker situation? It was alleged that he had a bust up in training. Nothing proven to my knowledge. And in Walkers defence his performances remained consistent. On which basis Im not sure I see the likeness to Ade and co, who were all playing like dogs as well as openly showing poor attitudes.

As to the semi, yes, I did think Trippier would play. He was clearly preferred at the time so I saw no reason it would change.

Of the two Walker is the better defender, but Trippier by far the better attacker. In the wing back system I quite expected Trippier to become more prominent and so it proved.

If I can be honest though, I really dont want to go round and round again on this. I think Ive presented my opinion pretty comprehensively, so it seems a little repetitive to get into it for another few rounds ;).

We both know the Walker stories and all the ITK, about the fact that his attitude had changed and Poch had decided it was best he sell him rather than risk an unhappy player brooding amongst the squad has been borne out by the fact he WAS sold. So yes, I think it is much like Ade and co in that the sale was as much to do with attitude and the long-term cohesion of the squad as much as any perception on the players ability.

Walker started ALMOST EVERY PL game from our loss away at Man Utd in mid-December until the March international break. He barely rotated Walker at all for months (save for a few FA Cup games against Lower league opposition). In fact Trippier started one league game between August 2016 and the March 2017 international break!

If you honestly think that Poch decided that Trippier was better than Walker (a player commonly thought of by many of us Spurs fans, pundits and commentators as one of if not THE best right-backs in the PL) based only on a few games that Trippier played against the likes of Watford and Burnley leading up to the FA Cup semi-final, then I don’t think there is indeed more to say.

We both know the Walker stories and all the ITK, about the fact that his attitude had changed and Poch had decided it was best he sell him rather than risk an unhappy player brooding amongst the squad has been borne out by the fact he WAS sold. So yes, I think it is much like Ade and co in that the sale was as much to do with attitude and the long-term cohesion of the squad as much as any perception on the players ability.

Walker started ALMOST EVERY PL game from our loss away at Man Utd in mid-December until the March international break. He barely rotated Walker at all for months (save for a few FA Cup games against Lower league opposition). In fact Trippier started one league game between August 2016 and the March 2017 international break!

If you honestly think that Poch decided that Trippier was better than Walker (a player commonly thought of by many of us Spurs fans, pundits and commentators as one of if not THE best right-backs in the PL) based only on a few games that Trippier played against the likes of Watford and Burnley leading up to the FA Cup semi-final, then I don’t think there is indeed more to say.
That is a very good post, Sir.

Have to say Davies has been impressive so far this season. I still worry about him and K Tripp against the big teams but credit to Davies for his performances since Rose got injured.

Overall i still think Rose is the better LB for me.

However, Davies has been nothing short of outstanding recently and when Rose is fit he better get used to the view from the bench. And wear an extra layer of undies so the splinters don't get through.

Only a catastrophic drop in form or an injury should see him back in the first XI

fudging beast of a player.

Love his attitude and professionalism. Gets his head down and his intelligence and ability is still vastly understated.

Fast becoming a favourite

Solid performance again. I don't think a lot of opponents rate him until he pops up and GBAM. He is in through the door like an armed robber with a 44.

He's been very, very good for us over the last two seasons. As much as I rate Rose, he's got his work cut out to get his place back. He hasn't played much in a year which can take a toll. I hope we hold on to Rose, I really do, but it wouldn't cause me sleepless nights if he left especially if he wants out.

Solid boring and functional
I know he isn’t glamorous but he is technically good at all things and doesn’t let us down
He isn’t a dynamic runner but he is certainly an intelligent footballer

Back