• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Re: ***Official*** Ben Davies signs for THFC

There is no good mathematical or statistical model for Football.

There are a few worthwhile individual stats that indicate certain things but most are flawed.

That http://eplindex.com/50471/fullback-comparison-ben-davies-shaw-rose-gibbs.html link has Danny Rose at 2 defensive errors for last season.
I watched him make at least 2 every game he played in last season.
Pretty much every top club and international side in the world thinks that analysis of football statistics is not only worthwhile but essential. Do you think that you are more likely to be right than them?

I'm with scara here. It's a matter of sifting out MEANINGFUL metrics out of a very noisy cloud of data. Sure, some stats can be massaged but you have to understand exactly what a certain statistic/metric is measuring.

All of science is conducted on the premise that a result is repeatable within a certain confidence threshold. You have to ask the right questions to get meaningful answers.

Last edited:

I'm with scara here. It's a matter of sifting out MEANINGFUL metrics out of a very noisy cloud of data. Sure, some stats can be massaged but you have to understand exactly what a certain statistic/metric is measuring.

All of science is conducted on the premise that if a result is repeatable within a certain confidence threshold. You have to ask the right questions to get meaningful answers.

I agree but unfortunately eplindex and similar sites end up using all the stats they can get when making these player comparison articles.

Interesting article...http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/24/ben-davies-tottenham-swansea-defender

Tottenham’s new left-back Ben Davies breaks the modern mould

When Neil Taylor fractured his ankle against Sunderland back in September 2012, the concern at Swansea City extended beyond the Welshman’s personal torment. The transfer window had closed less than 24 hours earlier and Swansea’s only other left-back was Ben Davies, a teenager who had six minutes of league football to his name. Michael Laudrup, Swansea’s manager at the time, surveyed what he had seen when Davies came on against Sunderland and accepted that he needed to bring in an experienced free agent.

“Ben did well and he had a great pre-season but he is only 19, we can’t put that much responsibility and pressure on him,” Laudrup said after the 2-2 draw with Sunderland. Little more than a week later, Swansea announced that Dwight Tiendalli, a former Holland Under-21 international who had been released by FC Twente, had joined on a free transfer. Davies had enjoyed a taste of first-team action and that was the last we would see of him for a while. At least that was the theory.

The reality turned out to be rather different. Laudrup selected Davies for the first match after the international break, a 2-0 defeat at Aston Villa and, to the Dane’s credit, kept faith with him for the remainder of the season. Davies flourished, visibly growing in confidence with each game he played, so much so that Tiendalli was reduced to being a bit-part player. It has been a meteoric rise for Davies ever since, culminating in this week’s £10m swap deal with Gylfi Sigurdsson at Tottenham Hotspur, where the 21-year-old will be Mauricio Pochettino’s first-choice left-back.

Not bad for someone who was turning up for first-team games at Swansea in his Volkswagen Polo, complete with wind-down windows – a source of amusement among the rest of the squad – less than two years ago. Davies had not long graduated from the youth team and was earning around £400 a week at the time. His salary at White Hart Lane is likely to have a couple more zeros on the end.

For Davies, it must feel as though the last two years have passed by in a blur. He has been a man in a hurry. Four weeks after making his first Premier League start, he was filling Taylor’s boots for country as well as club, making his Wales debut in the 2-1 win over Scotland in October 2012. The following month he signed a three-and-a-half-year contract at the Liberty Stadium as reward for his progress.

His first senior goal arrived against Stoke in January last year and encapsulated what Davies is all about. Picking up the ball just inside his own half, he played a give-and-go, continued his run and brushed off the challenge from Jon Walters when possession was returned to him on the edge of the penalty area. He then slipped away from Ryan Shawcross, evaded Robert Huth and dispatched a low shot into the corner of the net.

Davies struck twice in the Premier League last season, including a superb left-footed volley at The Hawthorns at the start of September, yet he is a defender first and foremost – not a left-back waiting to be converted into a left-winger (similarities with Gareth Bale are confined to their nationality and favoured foot).

Indeed, Laudrup wondered whether Davies would end up as a left-sided centre-half later in his career. At 1.81m (5ft 11in), he probably lacks a bit of height to play in the middle of defence. He is also, by his own admission, not blessed with great pace. Not that he suffers as a result.

Davies reads the game well, he has a lovely left foot and he is technically strong. There is nothing flamboyant about him; he is composed in possession and uses the ball intelligently. He made more successful passes than any other left-back in the Premier League last season (admittedly, Swansea’s style of play contributes to that statistic) and his first instinct is always to try to play forward, rather than go sideways and look for the safe option. He also possesses a decent strike.

In December last year, when Davies signed a one-year extension that tied him to Swansea until 2017, Laudrup spoke as if he knew what was around the corner. “[Ben] has already done a lot but every day in training he wants to improve. He doesn’t think he has arrived and that is the right attitude. I am sure one day – although it may not be good news for Swansea – we will see Ben at one of the top five or six clubs in the Premier League.”

In an ideal world Swansea would have kept hold of Davies, who was born in Neath and came through their academy, but they were resigned to the fact that his head had been turned once Tottenham made it clear that they were serious about signing him. From that point on it was a case of trying to make the best of a bad situation, which is why Swansea pushed so hard for Sigurdsson, who excelled at the Liberty Stadium during a loan spell a couple of years ago, to be part of the deal.

Comparisons between Davies and Luke Shaw, another young and talented British left-back on the move this summer, are inevitable. Although both broke through into the first team at pretty much the same time, Shaw, at 19, is two years younger than Davies. The England international cost Manchester United an initial £27m, which is three times as much as the Welshman was valued at – something that has aggrieved Swansea supporters, who feel Spurs are getting Davies on the cheap.

Although Shaw has yet to score a senior goal, the England international is a more natural attacker than Davies; at times at Southampton he was operating so far forward that he was playing almost as a winger. Last season Shaw delivered 142 crosses from open play for Southampton from 35 Premier League games; Davies made 75 from 34 matches for Swansea. That said, both players ended up with one assist to their name.

Perhaps the biggest compliment to Davies is that Taylor’s absence, which threatened to leave a huge void, almost went unnoticed at Swansea. Taylor, it is easy to forget, was one of the most highly rated left-backs in the Premier League prior to his injury. He had enjoyed an impressive first season in the top flight, under Brendan Rodgers, represented Team GB at the 2012 Olympics and was attracting interest from the Premier League’s leading clubs. Yet two years on it is Davies who is heading for the bright lights while Taylor prepares to rebuild his career at Swansea.

Some may say that fate has been kind to Davies, who got his opportunity courtesy of a team-mate’s misfortune. It is one thing, though, to be in the right place at the right time, and quite another to seize a chance when it presents itself. Davies did that and more over the past two seasons. He may not be a sexy name and could probably walk through the streets of north London without anyone batting an eyelid, but if his career continues on the same trajectory, Spurs will have an accomplished left-back on their hands for years to come.

Not quite sure if your talking to me or people in general but I understand them fully and in detail. I choose to ignore them out of choice.

If anyone wants to read into them that's their choice.

:ross:

Pretty much every top club and international side in the world thinks that analysis of football statistics is not only worthwhile but essential. Do you think that you are more likely to be right than them?

Yes, but they have access to stats that we do not have access to. The stats are analyzed by professionals with a lot of knowledge, and used alongside watching a lot of games and access to relevant video clips.

I really don't think that's comparable to the stats we have access to, or the analysis of those stats by journalists and the average fan.

All of science is conducted on the premise that a result is repeatable within a certain confidence threshold. You have to ask the right questions to get meaningful answers.

Do you have any examples at all of any article or analysis available to us that even deserves to be compared to a real scientific analysis? I've yet to see even basic stuff like standard deviation or confidence intervals being mentioned in any analysis by any journalist I can remember.

I do think that some stats available to us will have some usefulness. But when people start dragging random individual stats or player comparisons up without context I don't think it adds much, if any, value.

In the post-match interview, he seemed humble and even conceded he had some things to work on. Seems like a hard-working player that will improve, and hopefully thrive, under Poch.

that article reminded of two things:

1. Neil Taylor... he was pretty good back then, but this article says something interesting about his relationship with Davies
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-full-back-neil-taylor-7369864

2. Luke Shaw...inevitable comparisons surely. their stats look very similar, luke shaw has a more aggressive style going forward and more pleasing to the eye...is he really worth that much that Man U paid for, or do we have a bargain on our hands?

Thanks, Gareth!

Gareth Bale and Mauricio Pochettino inspired me to join Tottenham, says Ben Davies

New Tottenham signing Ben Davies has revealed that Gareth Bale and Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino helped to lure him to White Hart Lane.

Davies, an international team-mate of Bale's with Wales, openly admits that the opportunity to follow in his footstep helped attract him to Tottenham, a club which left a strong impression on the Real Madrid star.

“Gareth always used to say what a good club Tottenham were and how they always looked after him,” Davies told the Sun on Sunday.

“That has always stuck with me and is one reason why I decided to make this move."

But Tottenham's £10million signing batted away comparisons with Bale, who left Spurs last summer for world record fee in excess of £85million.

“People will want to compare me with Gareth but we are different types," Davies added. "He is a huge person to live up to, a superstar.”

Nonetheless, it was not simply the Bale factor that saw Davies switch Swansea for Spurs - a move which he concedes was a 'huge wrench' - but also admiration of his new boss, Pochettino.

“I liked what I saw of him at Southampton and the way he got them playing,” said Davies.

“If the manager can get Tottenham working in a similar way we will be hard to beat, and with the talented players we have in attack it could be a perfect combination.

“It was a huge wrench to leave, but I am certain I have made the right decision.”

If you upload a file to gfycat you get to name the url

Did you see the astroturf cloud when the header bounced in front of the goalie?

Yeah amazing ...one day all games will be played like this.

The new FIFA standard pitches are pretty good ... Very low chance of burn sores, and all that extra black bits adds a bit of unevenness to the pitch ( in a predictable manner, if that makes sense) ....and easier laundry when it rains.

We really need a player who regularly shows up in the right place at the right time in the opposition box. That Welsh player that got on the end of Davies cross might be worth a look.

Actually, I thought Soldado would be that player - all the stats from his stint in Spain pointed towards it - but time after time during Spurs attacks, we literally have *no one* in the opposition area when the attacking player is ready to cross. Then when we're defending, the opposition always seem to manage to get at least three - often more - players into our area when the ball comes in. I've never coached at any level, but to me this has been our major tactical problem for the past two years; and I hope to hell Pochettino is working on it now.

We really need a player who regularly shows up in the right place at the right time in the opposition box. That Welsh player that got on the end of Davies cross might be worth a look.

Actually, I thought Soldado would be that player - all the stats from his stint in Spain pointed towards it - but time after time during Spurs attacks, we literally have *no one* in the opposition area when the attacking player is ready to cross. Then when we're defending, the opposition always seem to manage to get at least three - often more - players into our area when the ball comes in. I've never coached at any level, but to me this has been our major tactical problem for the past two years; and I hope to hell Pochettino is working on it now.

Agree. I think AVB's keep possession at all costs policy resulted in us circling the box like the Alamo but with almost no one in it except Soldado. I think Chadli's recent goals could be an indication that Poch is targeting this an an area of improvement. Hope so anyway.

Agree. I think AVB's keep possession at all costs policy resulted in us circling the box like the Alamo but with almost no one in it except Soldado. I think Chadli's recent goals could be an indication that Poch is targeting this an an area of improvement. Hope so anyway.

This, we need main striker (Ade doesn't consistently do it), and either the other wide side player and/or a midfielder making run into box.

Soldado has done that in spain, Lamela/Eriksen/Paulinho are the only other in squad that seem to natuarally have a bit of that in their game.

Players like Davies/Dier/Lannon also need to attack far post when their opposite number is putting a cross in.

This, we need main striker (Ade doesn't consistently do it), and either the other wide side player and/or a midfielder making run into box.

Soldado has done that in spain, Lamela/Eriksen/Paulinho are the only other in squad that seem to natuarally have a bit of that in their game.

Players like Davies/Dier/Lannon also need to attack far post when their opposite number is putting a cross in.

this would make sense if soldado wasnt our main striker when we were playing that policy that you think he is best suited for and he still looked poor as a lone striker.

Wales full-back Ben Davies admits he is "frustrated" by his lack of Premier League starts since joining Tottenham from Swansea in the summer.

The 21-year-old has played seven times for Spurs, but only one of those appearances was in the top flight.

Davies told Sport Wales he is determined to make the grade.

"It's frustrating at times. But coming here I was taking nothing for granted that I was going to walk straight into the first team," he said.

"I have to bide my time, take my chances and work hard, as I do every day.

"And when that chance arises to get the games in the Premier League, then I've got to be ready for that and take it with both hands."

Davies's only league appearance under Mauricio Pochettino came as a 72nd-minute substitute for Danny Rose against Liverpool, who were already 3-0 up.

But he has started four Europa League matches, and the League Cup ties against Nottingham Forest and Brighton.

He was also in the Wales side for their Euro 2016 qualifiers against Andorra and Bosnia-Hercegovina.

"I feel like I'm improving as a player every time I get the chance to get out there," said Davies.

"It's sometimes difficult not playing as many games as I'd like maybe in the Premier League, but that's part and parcel of it all."

Davies made his debut for Swansea as a 19-year-old in August 2012 and quickly established himself as first-choice left-back when Neil Taylor suffered a long-term injury.

He joined Spurs on a five-year contract in July and says he would not currently consider the possibility of returning to the Swans on loan.

"I'm 100% focused here at the moment and I haven't really thought that far ahead," he said.

"I think it would be silly of me to put that idea into my head right now.

"I've got to prove to everyone here, and to myself really, that I can do a job at this club and that is what I want to do.

"I want to push on as far as I can and be as successful as I can at Spurs."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/wales/29886661

Very suprised no one has commented about this guy yet. He had a solid game I thought, up until that last 5 minutes where they really put some pressure on down that flank. He passed out really well from the back, kept his head and had that really good moment in the second half where he somehow got out of a bit of trouble.

Was like that with Swansea,he's just a solid defender,won't do anything daft,plays it simple, and with some intelligence,we've needed someone like that in ages.

Back