• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Re: ***Official*** Ben Davies signs for THFC

Davies is a fantastic defender. And we need some of them, defenders. People will see a clear upgrade on Rose. He's so sensible with his decision making, and not entirely cautious.

Hey, Aber, what do you make of this stat?

54 - Ben Davies was dribbled past more times than any defender in the premier league last season

Happy enough with this. Its not the kind of signing that will necessarily excite people but we've had that feeling with players before and been badly disappointed for one reason or another.

Well, it should do. There may be some disagreement on what our second and third priorities should be in the market this summer, but pretty much everyone accepts that a left back is our number one. And for once the club has quickly and effectively addressed that number one priority. That alone should excite a Spurs fan! How many windows did we spend stockpiling right backs while the world and his mother knew we needed a striker!?

And while we might have different opinions about Davies, there's no question he's very highly rated and is young enough to still improve significantly. He's defensively strong, which is great news, and whose to say he won't grow into a more attacking player if Pochettino pushes him that direction? We were never going to get Luke Shaw... and Fábio Coentrão (who is one of my favourite players) apparently turned us down. I can't think of many left backs who are currently available, are highly rated and still young, can apparently be swapped for one of our utility players, and have the potential to become a regular feature in our most solid defence in a while (I think we're one good CB away from having one of the best defences in the league - two if we get rid of Dawson or Kaboul).

So for me, this is - oddly enough - a signing that has excited me more than most over the past couple of years. The Magnificent Seven last summer was just weird and surreal... exciting in a different way. This signing feels much more purposeful though. A reason for optimism I'm hoping. But that's just a gut feeling.

(as an aside, I've also been saying for a while that we need a new #2 keeper, because at some stage fairly soon Friedel will lose his ability to perform at the top level, and I'm not sure I want to find out it's happened just at the moment we're relying on him to become our #1 because Lloris is out injured for 6 weeks at a crucial point in the season. So overall, I'm very happy with our business today; I liked Sigurdsson, but we're not exactly short on players who can play his position, and in my view we have others who are at least as good as him).

Made his competitive debut for Swansea vs West Ham, could make his Spurs competitive debut vs West Ham too

I'm not sure that selecting individual statistics and presenting them without context is going to tell us much about him

I'd say that he gor dribbled past the most. But I'd also guess (without a stat to back me up) that he did a bloody good job of getting back and winning the ball back. I'd rather a left back who gets dribbled past but recovers to one who is 40 yards down the other end of the pitch showing no real desire to get back. Sorry, that was a cheap dig at Rose. But I genuinely believe Davies is a fantastic fullback. Give him 3 or 4 years and people will call him a left sided Gary Neville. I really rate him.

That he played a lot games last season? For a 20 or 21 year old playing at the top level he obviously held his own. And should you watch his performances, as our scouts must have, then maybe you would see a player there beyond stats - which could relate to swanseas setup. For example if there was a lot of space in front of him.

As mentioned, Davies addresses an imbalance in the squad. We have an attacking left back in Rose, and when we need to keep it tight at the back and defend first, we now have a solid pro who can defend well, and he's just 21. Who knows what kind of player he will develop into. His career is ahead of him.

So for me, this is - oddly enough - a signing that has excited me more than most over the past couple of years. The Magnificent Seven last summer was just weird and surreal... exciting in a different way. This signing feels much more purposeful though. A reason for optimism I'm hoping. But that's just a gut feeling.

I get the feeling that so far our transfer activity seems (including the reports of other players we are after) more focused this summer. I got carried away last year with us spending big money on big name players and thought we were in for a great year. Ultimately it turned out to be one of the most disappointing seasons i can remember as we pretty much treaded water through the year.

As you say we needed a left back and we have what i believe to be an improvement on what we have with potential and we have a top quality number 2 goalkeeper as competition for Lloris. I'm happy that the club seems to be aware of the weaknesses that we all have talked about and is quietly doing the business to solve them.

That he played a lot games last season? For a 20 or 21 year old playing at the top level he obviously held his own. And should you watch his performances, as our scouts must have, then maybe you would see a player there beyond stats - which could relate to swanseas setup. For example if there was a lot of space in front of him.

As mentioned, Davies addresses an imbalance in the squad. We have an attacking left back in Rose, and when we need to keep it tight at the back and defend first, we now have a solid pro who can defend well, and he's just 21. Who knows what kind of player he will develop into. His career is ahead of him.

Change it to per game and he moves up to 2nd worst in the league, in fact he loses out to Rose in just about every defensive category other than errors. Not to say I'm basing my opinion from stats, I've seen him play, occasionally, but he's only ever looked fairly ordinary to me. Is he actually "defensively solid" or is it just that he's not the most attacking of full backs? It's not like any of us watch 90 minutes of Swansea every week like we do with Spurs either so any weaknesses to his game go largely unnoticed.

Change it to per game and he moves up to 2nd worst in the league, in fact he loses out to Rose in just about every defensive category other than errors. Not to say I'm basing my opinion from stats, I've seen him play, occasionally, but he's only ever looked fairly ordinary to me. Is he actually "defensively solid" or is it just that he's not the most attacking of full backs? It's not like any of us watch 90 minutes of Swansea every week like we do with Spurs either so any weaknesses to his game go largely unnoticed.

Just throwing it out there that I went to 9 Swansea games last season.

He is defensively solid.

Really chuffed with this signing..... happy as a pig in S***!!!

a major problem area addressed!!! Now we need a striker and most certainly a new centre back!!!....but I suppose it all depends on whether we offload Dawson! would be very happy if we signed in those positions and just leave it as the 4 signings for the summer!!!! unless Levy and co want me to cream my pants by landing Mr Antoine Griezman but I wont hold my breath!!!! we still have some players to move on!!! but new centre back and centre forward is a must!!!

BtQsZdUCAAACzrx.jpg

Davies. ies...ies......i. e. s.

Okay. I got it.

Continue.

That stat could easily show he has good positional sense so players have to take him on rather than people running in behind him ( something Rose is critised for)

Also a good winger should be able to dribble past a full back as they have the advantage - how a full back recovers is important.

I think this will also make Rose up his game

If so , two young decent LBs for 5m each....happy days

I think this will also make Rose up his game

If so , two young decent LBs for 5m each....happy days

Based on 45 mins each, Davies is a much better player than Rose.

And for a "defensive LB" he spent the vast majority of his time in TFC half (obviously the plan) as Mason dropped back to cover the hole behind.

Another observation, with Walker/Kaboul/Vert/Davies, we have a pretty big back line

Well happy with this! Welcome Ben!

I think and hope he will be a solid upgrade already next season and at 21 he has a lot of time to improve.

I agree that he's defensively solid, but he's not just a solid defender he's seemed comfortable on the ball and quite capable going forward too. You didn't get to hold down a place in that Swansea team without being at the very least comfortable on the ball.

Back