• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Battlefield 3 Thread

papaspur

Kasey Keller
My magnum opus was destroyed. In fact, I would bet all the traffic from the noobs wanting to read my guide downed the servers....
The good news is, I've saved the best part for last: combat!
But not now. I am le tired.

Battlefield-3-wake-island-concept-art.jpg

See you on the battlefield.

Been slogging away at Battlefield since GG went down as I had nothing better to do. Since then I have unlocked 2 new weapons through the assignments and earnt 3 medals... which of course made me shoot up the ranks from 25 to 28! Now also have 42/45 of the ribbons too and I did manage to get my KD Ratio back up to 1.002 which then went straight back to 0.998 after a shocking TDM!

Come across a couple of hackers recently too (reported them of course). I'd never experienced someone hacking a match on BF till recently then had 2 guys in 1 match on each side both hacking and a couple matches later a guy blatently hacking! Now I know alot of people shout "HACKER" if they get shot from a great distance or are just getting owned... But these guys were killing me from the otherside of the map (Caspian Border too!) with fudging Medikits, SOFLAM, T-UGS, literallly anything. And the other guy was killing me with a G36 from over 400m!!

I hope my recent experience of hackers doesn't mean they are at large all of a sudden, EA support seem to have taken my complaints seriously tho... But no doubt these idiots will just make a new profile! One guy was taunting people on chat and enjoying that he was hacking and whinding everyone up saying he found it "funny"! dingdong!

And lastly I thought I'd have a little look at the leaderboards and was shocked to see some of the stats!! The guy who currently leads with the most kills has over 75,000 kills... Of which 45,000+ are with the M320 grenade launcher!?!? fudge playing against that guy. Then theres the person who's spent the most hrs on the game... over 860hrs!! Considering the game was released on 25th Oct (US, earliest) means he must average 11+hrs a day!!!!! RIDICULOUS!

Anyway look forward to your guide papaspur :cool:

The BF3 Combat Guide

Despite all the details that I've laid out for you all in terms of classes and strategies for Rush and Conquest, the one thing that will give you the edge on the battlefield is survivability. This is in the sense of both killing and not getting killed.
These tactics will work best in conjunction with attacking/defending objectives, since that's where most of the action is. I will also focus a bit on squad gameplay since this is a multiplayer game and no man is an island.

Just to prove my combat chops:
Metro Offense - 10428
Metro Defense - 12874

*These games were 200 tickets for attackers, hence the high kills.

1. Movement & Positioning
    The key to succeeding on the battlefield is having good situational awareness. There is a lot of information to process all at once, but it is important to always take stock of your surroundings. You probably remember what a torrid time you had the first time you played the new maps. However, once you start knowing how the game tends to flow, you can use your past experience to your advantage. I will draw on some examples of specific points in maps that I feel tend to the locations of the make-it-or-break-it battles that usually determine whether a team makes a breakthrough, or gets halted in its tracks due to a moment of defensive brilliance.

Remember to always spot any enemies you see. This will not only help your team, but will indicate your enemy's position on your HUD as well as your minimap. This can be useful for turning corners around buildings or cramped areas. If you are turning a corner with an enemy around it, that knowledge will allow you to be prepared and not rush around at full sprint. Just be aware that this goes both ways, and enemies could potentially have you trained in their sights.

This is why cover is so important in this game. Different kinds of cover will offer varying levels of protection. The cover spectrum runs from the flimsy corrugated aluminum fence all the way to the impenetrable bunker. While it is true that most of the environment is destructible, there are simply some walls that won't give, no matter how many times you pound them with tank shells and mortars. These rare spots are havens and will keep you alive from most vehicle armaments. This also encourages camping, but if you're on defense and the MCOM you're defending is in a building, I don't see the rationale to running around outside. An M249 mounted on a windowsill will do just fine in these sorts of situations.

FUNDAMENTALS: Make sure you always have cover between you and the enemy. Whenever you're advancing on a position, try running between different pieces of cover, and then crouch or go prone to ensure no pesky limbs or the dome of your head are sticking out. In fact, if you're under some kind of fire, the best thing to do is to duck or go prone to reduce your profile. If you're with teammates (as you should be, most of the time), you can take turns moving up while others stay back to provide covering fire. Good luck finding the teammates to cooperate, however.
    If you see any vehicles nearby, only engage them if you have the tools for the job. At the very least, spot them for the rest of your team. Otherwise, steer clear and find some cover.

For example, the first set of rush points in Seine Crossing generally provide pivotal battles whose outcome determines whether the attacker moves forward or is stymied in a midfield battle. I will tell this story from a common perspective: the frustrated US solider trying to urge his team to breakthrough the stalwart Russian defense at objective B. Sure, A was captured in a few tries, but B has got the team down to its last 15 tickets. It may already be too late for the Americans, especially since the enemy is already dug-in in the midfield. Meanwhile, some donkey on your team left the LAV in enemy territory and they're making full use of it.
    -The building facing the Americans above B is crawling with OpFor. The best way to deal with these assclowns is to ensure they don't take their cover for granted. Enemies hiding behind windows can be pesky, but the best cure for the sniper-woes is a rocket between the eyes. Your team must secure the midfield first, so by occupying the building, you will ensure your team has a foothold to advance on B.
    Keep the objectives in sight, and be sure not to stray too far from them if you're on defense.
    -The Stairwell. You know which one I'm talking about. It's right outside B. It's the thing of nightmares. It's where newbs go to get killed. And then they go and get killed there again. This is one of the most frustrating chokepoints in the game, but with a little bit of teamwork, the Stairwell of Neverending Doom can offer you more than just a quick ticket to spawnville (generally delivered in the form of a .50 caliber bullet that at some point passed through your skull).
    The key here is flanking. The maps tend to have multiple entrances, with players choosing to bottleneck themselves into one particular entrance. True, the shortest distance from A to B is a straight line, but this isn't CoD :)
    Around the rear entrance of B is another building that should also be taken to ensure your team is controlling the streets outside B. That way, your team can safely attack from the rear of B, and in the ensuing confusion, have a squad attack the front of B through the infamous Stairwell. Dropping a few mortars onto B before your team charges in is well-advised. The key to a successful attack is to always move with your team and provide covering fire for each other. This requires some coordination, but if you're capable of killing, you might be able to sneak around to the rear of B and take out their machine gunners.
  2. Weapons & Firing
    "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

I don't know how many total weapons are available in this game, but let's just say you're bound to find a few favorites. I will talk very generally about the different weapon types, but I'll leave it to you to figure out which weapon you'd like to use in any particular situation.

How to fire your gun: Sure, you may think you know how to shoot (and I'd be willing to bet many of you are quite capable). However, I have seen way too many players get over-excited and completely miss their targets at point-blank range, resulting in my death. This is all fine and well in CoD, where recoil and bullet spread are almost unheard of. If you try firing an LMG from a standing position on full-auto, you will seriously struggle to hit a target 20m away from you if you miss the first few shots. It's important to note to ALWAYS keep your gun reloaded when you have a chance. I will outline various gun types based on their functionality in different situations.

SMGs, PDWs, small Carbines & Rifles
    Guns like the UMP-45, M416, and A-91 feature good accuracy from short to medium range. They're quick and best matched with a holographic or RDS. Coupled with a foregrip, these guns will feature little to no recoil. Their main drawback is usually their power, but there are a few guns in this category that are capable packing a punch. These guns also make it easy to go for headshots even when firing in full auto. Generally good for sweeping around when the extra distance and flexibility that a shotgun doesn't provide are needed. With a silencer equipped and spec ops camo, you're a ninja.

Larger Carbines & Rifles, small LMGs
    Guns like the AK-74M, SCAR-H, and RPK-74M are heavier, more powerful variants that contain all the stopping power necessary to bring down enemies quickly. These guns tend to have a decent amount of recoil, so they're best fired in short bursts. This will ensure accuracy and tighter groupings. Use these when in more open areas where there is more distance between you and your enemy. The G3A3 is a great long-range rifle and is excellent in single-fire mode. With a 4x ACOG scope and a trusty piece of concrete, you can pick enemies off from further away.

Shotguns
    These are great for clearing out tunnels and tight hallways. At greater than 20m, they become ineffectual. Different types of rounds are useful for different situations and allow you to take on multiple close-range targets with ease.
    I personally don't use shotguns very often because I like to be prepared for anything and shotguns simply don't offer me enough options. The perfect place for shotguns is when you're in the tunnels in Metro. Its labyrinthine twists and turns will cause confusion in your enemy, allowing you to help him by blasting that confused look right off his face.

Sniper Rifles
    These are the weapons with which you need to be most aware of bullet drop with since you'll presumably be firing from great distances. They are most accurate and steady when fired from the prone position, and with a bipod deployed, don't have any breathing sway. To hold your breath, hold down the SHIFT key while you aim and prepare to pull the trigger.
    There are two types of sniper rifles: semi-automatic and bolt-action. Bolt-action rifles tend to pack more of a punch than their semi-automatic brothers, but they require you to be a deadshot since you won't get as many shooting opportunities. Make every shot count. Hitting moving targets is quite difficult, but it's satisfying to see a bullet curving in towards an enemy's head and seeing their body limply crumple into the ground. If you can, aim for the head. The marksman bonus can often give you more points than the kills themselves do.

Shooting Tips continued...

General Weapon-Firing Tips & Strategies

• Shooting from prone and crouched positions offer more accuracy than shooting while standing. Shooting while moving is easier with smaller guns.
  • Always try to position yourself behind cover, both to screen your movements and to provide safety. Know the strength of your cover.
  • If you see an enemy, spot him! Use 'Q' to spot an enemy unit.
  • Check your minimap at the bottom left of your screen for enemies and teammates. Knowing you have a few friendlies backing you up before storming a building ought to give you some reassurance.
  • Is that pesky wall in your way? Why walk around it when you can blow it up? Engineers solve problems.
  • Try to stay with teammates. Sure, a lot of them exhibit the same intelligence found in a cup of yogurt, but at least let them bite the bullet first so you know where the enemy is.
  • When firing your weapon, try to use short, quick bursts. You can change firing modes on your rifle.
  • Don't use a laser sight on your sniper rifle. The only time it would be OK is if you were so good at sniping that you used the laser to taunt people right before you shot them 'twixt the eyes :cool:
  • Generally, you should aim for the head. You get an accuracy bonus, as well as a sense of self-satisfaction. When you need to engage multiple enemies at once, aiming for the head is simply the most efficient way to handle them.
  • If you're an engineer, you will be most effective if following friendly armor and destroying enemy armored units. Many a battle are won because of a repair torch keeping a tank alive long enough for it to return fire and wipe out all the AT in the area.
  • The worst sound on the battlefield is "Bambambam CLICK..." Don't forget to keep your weapon reloaded. Those extra bullets could be the difference between life and death.
  • Shoot to kill. If you don't think you can kill someone, don't reveal your position away unless you're well entrenched.
  • Use foliage to your advantage. Crawling in bushes might not appeal to everyone, but the concealment offered can lead you to surprise the enemy. No enemy is easier to kill than a confused one.
  • Don't fire from the hip unless you're CQB. Aim down the sights. RDS and Holographic scopes are quicker to aim than scopes.
  • For the love of all that is ... drop your medic/ammo kits near clusters of players! You'll get points for doing it! And make lots of people happy!

That's all I could come up with for now. I know you guys have other suggestions/tips to contribute. Thanks for reading!

papaspur,
making kids ragequit since 1942...

Some great tips there mate. I must admit when I'm on a frenzied run and gun spree I've often forgot to reload and heard the "Dead mans click" after a couple shots fired... So frustrating!

My weapons of choice tend to be the PDW's or the carbines (as you'll prob notice fromy stats) but of course these are not always the best choice on larger, more open maps where a weapon effective over distance would be more suited.
And to back up your point of dropping ammo and meds by groups of players, yesterday played conquest on Grand Bazaar and i was pinned down in the infamous alleyway with a few teammates getting attacked from both sides.
Although I only managed I think about 9/8 KD ratio, i earned about 7 or 8 "resupply" ribbons in that round which of course, at 200 xp each and along with other ribbons, boosted my xp for that round enormously! So drop those crates people!!

Last edited:
I must admit to getting frustrated with BF3. It started as a fairly tactical shooter, with squads working together and lots of cooperation. After my break of a couple of months playing Skyrim I've come back to find it more of a CoD clone. With players just running randomly and doing their own thing without really thinking about the objectives.

I still get the odd great game, but they're few and far between.

I must admit to getting frustrated with BF3. It started as a fairly tactical shooter, with squads working together and lots of cooperation. After my break of a couple of months playing Skyrim I've come back to find it more of a CoD clone. With players just running randomly and doing their own thing without really thinking about the objectives.

I still get the odd great game, but they're few and far between.

I get games like these sometimes (mainly TDM... The word "Team" seems absent in alot of the gameplay) but i find on PC playing conquest that you generally get people atleast trying to play as a team and play to their roles. Unfortunately you get alot of lone wolfs who diverge from the squad and even the objectives just to get some kills... Which of course is not the aim of the game. But the best thing with PC (which i don't think is available on consoles) is the choice of servers and huge customization available for your game, eg. Infantsy only games, servers that kick for use of RPG/M320, gun only servers, even knife only games, the choice is there

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/#!/bf3/soldier/edgey642/stats/348943918/

Managed to get my KD Ratio over 1 again.... Took me ages but got there eventually. Also now completed 6/10 of the assignments too. Starting to get the hang of the L85A2, which my first impressions of weren't great (especially after the pain and struggle I went through to unlock it lol) but I'm really starting to like it now! Like I said before I prefer PDW's and Carbines, but I'm really warming to the L85A2 assault rifle and the M249 machine gun!

xp1_l85a2.png

Any of you on PC wanna add me it's edgey642

Last edited:
I'll write a similar guide for the last 3 CODs for you:

1) Pick any assault rifle with a red dot sight.

2) Point and shoot.

3) ???

4) Profit

I'll write a similar guide for the last 3 CODs for you:

1) Pick any assault rifle with a red dot sight.

2) Point and shoot.

3) ???

4) Profit

Haha yeah and people will continue to buy it, myself included (although i only got MW3 because i could get it cheap, no way was spending 40 notes on a sugar coated DLC) and even tho alot of the COD diehards are defecting and complaining bout the latest installment, they'll all go out and buy Black Ops 2 this year!

I said from the start, that MW3 would just be glorified DLC for MW2, as soon as i heard they were using the same engine and i see the first screenshots of it.

I'm currently Rank 38 on MW3 so i think I've played it enough to give a fair judgement. Firstly the maps are dreadful, bar 1 or 2 of them, they cater too much for campers. The weapons are the same as MW2 plus a few more, and worse of all they kept the deathstreaks and even made them stronger... So your rewarded for being brick! And finally the single player is even more ridiculous and OTT than the last ones... And just as forgettable, so much so that i couldnt be bothered to finish it.

I've tried to go back to it a few times (mainly coz my mate will pester me for a match as he doesn't like BF3) but i just cannot stomach it and it gets my blood pressure at boiling point! I always end up in Battlefield's arms, yes i have had many frustrating matches on BF3 but nowhere near the frustration and rage i get when playing MW3. Some will say "you must suck at COD" and they may be right... Personally i see myself as an average player, not great but not brick either, usually middle of the table.

So to summarise my rant, it's BF3 for me all day... COD have sold out and even their fans are beginning to see it so they got alot of work to win me back. Starting with a new graphics engine and getting rid of deathstreaks. And a single player that lasts more than 6hrs too

Last edited:
The storylines in these games makes Tom Clancy seem like Shakespeare. Devs are allocating all their resources towards multiplayer, when honestly, I miss a good campaign experience. I've seen better plotlines in a porno. These story arcs are ludicrous.

The real shame behind BF3's "expansion pack" is that it did not include new co-op missions. The co-op missions are genuinely fun, and I will start pestering the dev team for a co-op jet mission similar to the one from the single-player campaign, only not as scripted or on rails. EA/Dice claimed they would never release a DLC map pack. Throwing a few weapons and new vehicles does not make B2K an expansion pack, however.

Yeah I love a good single player story, which is why I love the Uncharted series and GHod of War series. Also both Batman Arkham games have had great stories and characters... It's not always about Multiplayer, although for games like COD and BF it has become all about the Multiplayer. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it shouldn't mean the single player experience becomes almost an afterthought.

After my rant above I actually went back to MW3 single player story (was only 20% through) and had a 2nd attempt at it... And although it's fun in places it is quite frustrating and utterly ridiculous! Makes a Micheal Bay film seem lacking in action sequences! I've no problem with big action set pieces and "Wow" moments, but on COD: MW3 it's every single level which for me takes away the "Wow" factor. Seems since the success of the AC 130 mission on COD4:MW, every single COD since has had a similar mission thats more and more ridiculous everytime. The body count too would make Rambo seem a little inadequate.

I understand many people like this in a game but, me personally, I find it all a bit silly really. I prefer a tad more realism when it comes to a war simulator.

As for BF expansions, I agree papaspur that they should add some more Co-op missions and more assignments. But I also think (and prob said this on the old BF3 thread) they should maybe add more factions or more varied locations. I can't wait for the next BF3 expansion and hopefully won't have to wait long for it (I'm sure it's in developement as we speak)

EDIT: Also it seems EA/DICE are doing their job and getting rid of cheaters:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/#!/bf3/news/view/2832654777875433247/
Hopefully the 3 hackers I reported were amongst them ;)

Last edited:
Yeah I love a good single player story, which is why I love the Uncharted series and GHod of War series. Also both Batman Arkham games have had great stories and characters... It's not always about Multiplayer, although for games like COD and BF it has become all about the Multiplayer. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it shouldn't mean the single player experience becomes almost an afterthought.

After my rant above I actually went back to MW3 single player story (was only 20% through) and had a 2nd attempt at it... And although it's fun in places it is quite frustrating and utterly ridiculous! Makes a Micheal Bay film seem lacking in action sequences! I've no problem with big action set pieces and "Wow" moments, but on COD: MW3 it's every single level which for me takes away the "Wow" factor. Seems since the success of the AC 130 mission on COD4:MW, every single COD since has had a similar mission thats more and more ridiculous everytime. The body count too would make Rambo seem a little inadequate.

I understand many people like this in a game but, me personally, I find it all a bit silly really. I prefer a tad more realism when it comes to a war simulator.

As for BF expansions, I agree papaspur that they should add some more Co-op missions and more assignments. But I also think (and prob said this on the old BF3 thread) they should maybe add more factions or more varied locations. I can't wait for the next BF3 expansion and hopefully won't have to wait long for it (I'm sure it's in developement as we speak)

EDIT: Also it seems EA/DICE are doing their job and getting rid of cheaters:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/#!/bf3/news/view/2832654777875433247/
Hopefully the 3 hackers I reported were amongst them ;)

Right, this game makes a mockery of war. They go for cheap shots all the time in trying to provoke a reaction from gamers, or to do something controversial (no russians airport mission). I was tinkled off at that part in the campaign, not because of the controversy of shooting civilians in a video game, but the "why" of it. First off, it wasn't fun. The story sucked to begin with, so I won't even touch on that. It's just a lazy way of creating a talking point simply for the sake of it.

I'm glad the devs are still working on eradicating the hackers, but there are far too many of them out there. Whenever I see the "PBADMIN: so_and_so has been banned for hacking", I feel slightly reassured, but I guess it's good to know they're still chipping away at the dumbasses that somehow think it's still a good idea to cheat.

Right, this game makes a mockery of war. They go for cheap shots all the time in trying to provoke a reaction from gamers, or to do something controversial (no russians airport mission). I was tinkled off at that part in the campaign, not because of the controversy of shooting civilians in a video game, but the "why" of it. First off, it wasn't fun. The story sucked to begin with, so I won't even touch on that. It's just a lazy way of creating a talking point simply for the sake of it.

Yeah that mission was completely pointless... Proved by the fact you can actually play the game without playing that mission! There are similar encounters in MW3 but nowhere near the controversy of that mission.

Oh and i mentioned above that i decided to play the single player.... Well i completed it in one sitting. Far too short

I adore CoD4. By far and away the best FPS I've ever played, but both the campaigns and the multiplayers of each of its sequels have been shocking in comparison. If I got a quid for every time I'd been shooting away and had something explode near me, forcing my screen to be spattered with red and have to be carried to the sounds of my own heavy breathing I'd be some way to regaining the money back I'd tinkled away on those games.

I adore CoD4. By far and away the best FPS I've ever played, but both the campaigns and the multiplayers of each of its sequels have been shocking in comparison. If I got a quid for every time I'd been shooting away and had something explode near me, forcing my screen to be spattered with red and have to be carried to the sounds of my own heavy breathing I'd be some way to regaining the money back I'd tinkled away on those games.

Yeah COD4 was brilliant, both campaign and multiplayer... Really changed multiplayer games forever! If it weren't for all the hackers I'd quite happily go back and play COD4 instead.
I think Treyarch (makers of World at War & Black Ops) make better maps than Infinity Ward (makers of Modern Warfare series). The maps on COD4 were great but since then they have gotten worse and more lazy i think. The maps on BLOPS and WaW were good tho and i find the multiplayer more balanced on both those games than on MW2 & 3.

Personally I'd prefer it if the 2 teams got back together and made a COD game every 2 or 3 years rather than pump out yearly updates of the franchise. They both need a massive overhaul

Back to Battlefield 3. Been playing Co-op missions and I actually thing they are better than the single player campaign! Love them! Would be better to play them with a friend but all my mates own consoles so only have bout 6 friends on BF3 and they never seem to be on when I'm on (did try and join your 1000ticket Metro game earlier papaspur but was in a queue and it says your now "Away")

Unlocked 5 of the 7 Co-op weapons and completed 4 of the 6 missions on Normal. Will hopefully have done them all by end of the night (night in as I'm babysitting while the missus goes out for the 1st time in 10months... oh dear lol). May not even bother with multiplayer tonight? we'll see... unless there's a 1000 ticket conquest on Metro with no rules ;)

Back