• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Basel Ratings

elltrev

Andy Sinton
Can't be bothered to do all of them, but:

Walker - 7 - Thought he actually defended very well today.

Siggy - 5 - Thought he was a bit unlucky today as he showed a lot of skill which always just failed to come off... still, ultimately showed a disappointing end product.
Holtby - 7.5 - Thought he was excellent - 6 tackles and 6 interceptions, and the only starting player who naturally plays pass-and-move football... showed a bit more creativty too
Dempsey - 7 - Difficult to know what to give him as he scored two nicely taken goals, and did very little apart from that... that's what he's all about though I guess!
Parker - 6 - Solid game from Scotty I thought, almost the opposite to what he's normally like - didn't throw himself around much and didn't win the ball much, but kept possession very well.
Dembele - 4 - Awful game... lost possession countless times, once costing us a goal, and didn't win it back that much either.

Adebayor - 4 - Personally I thought he was really poor... Wasted the two chances he did get, didn't create everything, and didn't hold the ball up consistently well enough.

Carroll - 7 - Thought he was excellent... like Holtby, he excels at pass-and-move football... always moving, and passes quickly and accurately, as well as showing some great skill with that pirouette and a couple of creative passes too.

Friedel 5
Walker 6
Dawson 6
Vertonghen 6
Naughton 6
Dempsey 6 (despite two goals I thought the rest of his game was poor)
Parker 6
Dembele 4
Holtby 6
Sigurdsson 6
Adebayor 5

Carroll 6
Huddlestone 6
Ekotto 6

Wasn't a terrible team performance, but no one player stood out for me. Holtby was good in the first half, less so in the second, but for his first half performance I think he just about edges Spurs man of the match.

Friedel - 5 - Thought he could have done better for the second goal, he just patted it out straight to the Basel player. He had no hope with any of the penalties, I didn't expect him to save one and he didn't.

Walker - 6.5 - Few silly square passes, but still our only attacking threat down the right really, his pace was very crucial, especially up against Salah when he come over from the right hand side.
Dawson - 7 - He was shocking in the first half. Much better in the second half and down right heroic in extra time, that block at the end from Frei's effort was superb and he could hardly fudging stand.
Vertonghen - 6 - Didn't think he had the best of games, red card was down to Dawson at the end of the day, he took one for the team.
Naughton - 5.5 - Thought he was poo to be honest, I don't understand why AVB plays him there, Ekotto should have started, we'd then probably had an extra sub to bring on Caulker.

Dempsey - 8 - Worked his absolute socks off, was dead on his feet by the end of the game, got us off to a great start and then scored a very important equaliser late on. Can't fault him tonight.
Parker - 6 - Thought he was okay actually, works hard.
Dembele - 4 - His worst game in a Spurs shirt, no excuse for the first goal was just pathetic. I hope he picks it up for Emirates Marketing Project because he is still an important player for us.
Holtby - 7.5 - He was great for me, great vision, works hard, not afraid to put a foot in.
Sigurdsson - 7 - He tried making things happen, but he was a little frustrated, one of those who worked ever so hard all game and throughout extra time too.

Adebayor - 7 - I'm not going to mark him down for his awful penalty. He worked his gonad*s off tonight, especially in the 90 minutes. Was dying throughout the whole extra time but still did his best to hold the ball and try win us corners etc.

--

Carroll - 7 - Just what we needed when he came on, someone who can move the ball accurately and quickly from midfield.
Huddlestone - 7 - Great when he come on too, him and Carroll bossed the middle and it was his ball that forced the equaliser. Looked solid at centre back too.
Ekotto - 5 - didn't do anything, he came on as a late sub and still didnt provide anything in extra time, when attacking he should have been bombing down that left.

I thought walker was very good and helped out his defence a great deal - especially recovering vert and dawsons mistakes.

Hudd was very good when came on and then reverted to CB - just showed his class and how we looked so much better with him on - maybe not start but definitely bring him on earlier than he has done in the past.

Carroll showed energy and was fairly impressed without him doin much actually

Vert looks tired and exhausted as does Dembele. We need back up for them

Holtby/Sig - much of a muchness - both defended well but created little. Sig I understand - he isnt someone who can and should play out wide. Holtby meh - showed great fight and defended well but didnt do too much else. Not actually sure what their best positions are.

Ade - meh
Dempsey - battled well and two goals so shouldnt complain but was a bit poor.

Overall spirit and battle - 10 skill and ability and performance 6

Freidel - 5.5 - Could have done slightly better with the second. Couldn't do anything about the pens.

Walker - 7 - Immense performance from the young lad in my mind. His tracking back was crazy. He made mistakes sure, but the positives vastly outweighed the negatives.
Dawson - 6.5 - Bad in the first, good in the second, immense in extra time. Out on his feet yet he kept getting back up and throwing himself back in.
Vertonghen - 6 - Did alright. Struggles a bit when placed next to Naughton. Took the red for the team, seemed th sensible option.
Naughton - 5 - Do not want him on the left. Please cease that.

Dempsey - 8 - Worked well and took risks, two paid off for the goals. Decent interplay when we could keep the ball.
Parker - 6 - I actually can't remember seeing Parker on the pitch. Which likely means he did nothing wrong, but aso nothing particularly right. So i assume an average performance.
Dembele - 4.5 Was not in the game at all. Bad error for the first. Hoping a break can do him the world of good.
Holtby - 7 - Did well. Got involved and chased down the ball all game. Was one of the few to still have some in the tank near the end.
Siggy - 7.5 - I really really like this guy. He provides a decent outlet on the left, but is not an orthodox winger. At his best cutting inside. Puts himself on the line and does his defensive duties very well.

Ade - 6.5 - Good performance. Held the ball up well. Didn't quite have the final touch but other left him isolated for quite a while. Was still running around in extra time too. Will be spacegoated for the penalty.

Carroll - 7 - provided an impetus the defensive did not have previous to him being on. GOt the ball and controlled our tempo very well.

Huddlestone - 7 - We resorted to route one football and it paid off with huddlestone's deliveries. Did a decent job standing in at CB as well.

Ekotto - 6 - Didn't really do anything, was decent defensively, not great offensively.

Can't be bothered to do all of them, but:

Walker - 7 - Thought he actually defended very well today.

Siggy - 5 - Thought he was a bit unlucky today as he showed a lot of skill which always just failed to come off... still, ultimately showed a disappointing end product.
Holtby - 7.5 - Thought he was excellent - 6 tackles and 6 interceptions, and the only starting player who naturally plays pass-and-move football... showed a bit more creativty too
Dempsey - 7 - Difficult to know what to give him as he scored two nicely taken goals, and did very little apart from that... that's what he's all about though I guess!
Parker - 6 - Solid game from Scotty I thought, almost the opposite to what he's normally like - didn't throw himself around much and didn't win the ball much, but kept possession very well.
Dembele - 4 - Awful game... lost possession countless times, once costing us a goal, and didn't win it back that much either.

Adebayor - 4 - Personally I thought he was really poor... Wasted the two chances he did get, didn't create everything, and didn't hold the ball up consistently well enough.

Carroll - 7 - Thought he was excellent... like Holtby, he excels at pass-and-move football... always moving, and passes quickly and accurately, as well as showing some great skill with that pirouette and a couple of creative passes too.

Would generally agree with these ratings, except Adebayor who I think was worth a 6.5, and Carroll who also gets 6.5.

Vertonghen has to get a 4 for me as well, he was poor throughout, apart from his excellent spot of Dempsey for the first goal, and even that was a bit fortuitous.

Dawson was a hero, threw himself in the way of everything and demonstrated exactly why he's club captain. Reminded me a lot of Terry for Chelsea, he was utterly determined to get us through to pentalties, it's a shame we are cursed with them. I think he was probably man of the match for us. 8/10.

Was pleased to see the introduction of Hudd make a difference, decent ball for Dempsey's second, and he filled in well at CB as well. Bit difficult to rate tbh.

Friedel 5 Should have done better for the first goal, very slow to react.
Naughton 6 Not too bad from him, got caught of of position early though.
Vertonghen 6 Another game where he seemed off the pace. His inconsistency is a worry.
Dawson. 6 Put his heart and soul in, made some great last ditch tackles, but also made some terrible mistakes.
Walker 7.5 his best game for ages, never stopped running.
Dembele. 4 Remind me what does this guy does again? Not the brightest player, I've ever seen either.
Parker 6 Ran hard, but little impact.
Siggy 6.5 Ran hard and never stopped trying, made good positions, only to be ignored by Ade.
Dempsey. 7 Tried hard, and got the goals.
Adebayor. 4 Why does he persist in coming out deep and wide? The penalty-another tinkle take!
Holtby 6 Meh, doesnt seem to add much to our results, another stock standard player, tried hard, but not the wonderboy he was made out to be.

Last edited:
Friedel - 5
Naughton - 6 - prior to him coming off i tought he actually settled down and started playing reasonably well- poor first half
Vertonghen - 6 - can't complain with the red, Dawson more to blame for me
Dawson - 7 - overall he was poor i think but there were several "lionheart" moments from him which bump his score up
Walker -8- had his usual rushes of blood to the head but asides from those moments he was one of the best performers, drove us on at times
Sigurdsson - 6 - tried but ultimately lacked any ingenuity
Dempsey - 7 - two important goals
Holtby - 7 -
Parker - 6 -
Dembele - 4 - nothing came off for him today
Adebayor - 7 - worked hard, held the ball up well and caused their back four problems

Carroll - 7 - during the time he was on the pitch was probably the best player for us - there was a clear change in how the game panned out after his inclusion - we started to take control of the middle of the pitch and kept the ball a lot better.

Huddelstone - 6
Ekotto - 5

Vertonghen 6 Another game where he seemed off the pace. His inconsistency is a worry.
Dawson. 6 Put his heart and soul in, made some great last ditch tackles, but also made some terrible mistakes.
Dembele. 4 Remind me what does this guy does again? Not the brightest player, I've ever seen either.
Siggy 6.5 Ran hard and never stopped trying, made good positions, only to be ignored by Ade.
Adebayor. 4 Why does he persist in coming out deep and wide? The penalty-another tinkle take!
Holtby 6 Meh, doesnt seem to add much to our results, another stock standard player, tried hard, but not the wonderboy he was made out to be.

Because he is being told to do it. Standing in the middle of the pitch would make it too easy for the central defenders.

Friedel - some good, some bad, but overall not good enough.

Walker - needs to engage his brain more often and calm down a bit. Crossing still brick.

Dawson - some terrible mistakes, one amazing last ditch block

Verts - generally good, but sent off. Great tackle to win the ball right on the byline.

Naughon - has the footballing brain that Walker lacks, but too many other glaring weaknesses in his game. Deserves a goal.

Parker - one of his pirouettes actually got him out of a sticky situation. Must stop giving the ball away by taking freekicks quickly.

Dembele - needs a rest. You do not have to dribble past everyone.

Holtby - great first half, full of creativity. Faded badly

Sig - Showed some real determination. Him, Dempsey and Holtby were the ones driving us on today.

Dempsey - 2 goals, so close to a third. Worked hard defensively, won the usual free kicks

Ade - slightly above average. Nothing really came off, but was often alone on the right with Walker not coming forward.

Carroll - will definitely make it at this level, just needs to get a little tougher.

Friedel 6 should have saved the first goal

Walker 8 back to his best saved us a number of times
Dawson 7 fudged up for verts sending off, then saved us in extra time over and over
Vertonghen 7 split the defence open for dempseys opener, did what he had to do with that challenge that got him sent off
Naughton 6 didnt offer us enough going forward had to keep coming inside

Parker 7 decent game
Dembele 5 really poor game, his passing was all over the place
Dempsey 7 took his goals well, looked fudged in extra time
Holtby 8 worked hard, created some good opening, and was solid when he had to slit into midfield. 6 interceptions and 6 tackles!
Sigurdsson 7 our most threatening player going forward

Adebayor 7 linked up well and then had to work his arse off on his own for ages

Carroll 7.5 just such a tidy player, does the little things so well most people dont probably even notice or appreciate it
Huddlestone 7 look great in the middle with all the space he had when basel were dropping back, look nervous but ultimately got away with playing as a centre half
Ekotto 6 46% passing success says it all

Because its no longer the 90s.

Dawson 7 fudged up for verts sending off, then saved us in extra time over and over
Vertonghen 7 split the defence open for dempseys opener, did what he had to do with that challenge that got him sent off

Parker 7 decent game
Holtby 8 worked hard, created some good opening, and was solid when he had to slit into midfield. 6 interceptions and 6 tackles!

Carroll 7.5 just such a tidy player, does the little things so well most people dont probably even notice or appreciate it
Huddlestone 7 look great in the middle with all the space he had when basel were dropping back, look nervous but ultimately got away with playing as a centre half

I would have given Dawson a 6 at best, otherwise I agree with all of that. Particularly agree with Walker and Holtby who i thought both had very good games.

Modric THFC

Re: Basel Ratings

Parker 7 decent game

Agree with this, except I would drop verts to a 5. Yes Dawson sold him short, but if he stayed on his feet and pushed him out wide rather then trying to pinch it we would probably won that in ET. Shame cos I love verts really.

I said it on the "Dawson" thread I would expect that he, like the other defenders are told to attack the ball early in a high defensive line, so he is always prone to being caught out. But then have posters not seen our defenders perform this season? All of them have made mistakes. IMO Daws has been the best out and out defender and we actually look pretty solid with him in the team. Compare today's defensive performance with last weeks

I would have given Dawson a 6 at best, otherwise I agree with all of that. Particularly agree with Walker and Holtby who i thought both had very good games.

I thought we were really good tonight, I think these ratings are harsh, they're a really good side and we were better for about 60+ mins of normal time when 11 v 11. In extra time we defended almost perfectly, we're just dogbrick at pens, always have been.

If we'd have won the pen shoot out everyone would be getting 10's.

not meaning to quote you Brain just easier to reply to a post.

Friedel - 5. Thanks for all your hard work over the last couple of years Brad, but I guess that's the end of the road.
Walker - 8. A shame he had to spend the whole night on the defensive but did a great job of shackling their biggest threat.
Dawson - 6. Lions effort, amazing last ditch tackle. However, all heart doesn't disguise the average first 75 minutes.
Vertonghen - 6. Unlucky in the build up to the red.
Naughton - 5. Weak link in the first half, was ineffective coming forward. Would have preferred him to cover for Vertonghen to move upfield.
Dembele - 4. Not his night.
Parker - 6. Did what Parker does.
Holtby - 6. Did what Parker does.
Sigurdsson - 6. Great to have at least one of our team run at them.
Adebayor - 6. Isolated at times, questionable positioning.
Dempsey - 7. 2 goals, worked hard but could have played a cleverer game.

Subs
Huddlestone - 7..... in that it was a decent performance, if not excellent, for a player out of position after a long lay off.
Assou-Ekkoto - 6. In hindsight, an unnecessary switch.
Carroll - 7. Impressive cameo to add to his experience. Relieved the lad didn't have to take a penalty.

I'd say my judgement on Adebayor and the attacking component is partly reserved on what their instructions actually were. You'ld have to expect that it was AVB that was telling him to take up wide positions. I also would have had Huddlestone on much earlier, Basel were letting us have a lot of the ball. And I'd have liked a more direct approach to Adebayor at times, so a shame this switch didnt happen for another reason.

I also think Adebayor deserves some credit for his second half, where he was the only forward against two CBs (which also makes me wonder how we struggled so much with ten men, because if it is Ade v two, then the rest of the pitch is evenly matched??) . However, he should have done better with that chance late into stoppage time, either a decent shot, or a good lay off. That said, AVB is a far more knowledgable man than me on these things, who am I to say ;)

thought adebayor was alright to be honest. looked like he was trying which was nice and he was a handful, not too much came off but for sure he caused them problems.

thought adebayor was alright to be honest. looked like he was trying which was nice and he was a handful, not too much came off but for sure he caused them problems.

In all honesty I am absolutely livid with ADE. Here was a player who was supposed to be close to World Class, we chased him throuhgout the summ,r goodness knows how much he has cost in wages and what deals had to be struck to get him. Apart form the Everton game frankly he has been shocking for most of this season. Really today when he managed to bring the ball under control (his first touch is appaling) he didn't ever look like doing anything with it. He bumbled his way through challenges then ran into dead ends. He would get to the by line but never remotely looked like crossing. How many times was he offside when he should have been looking down the line. We are paying him untold wages and deserve more than "he is trying his best" no fudging way is that the case. The man is not a youth player trying to break through. fudge me Gooners must be laughing their heads off today. If only we could have signed berbatov instead in the summer.

In all honesty I am absolutely livid with ADE. Here was a player who was supposed to be close to World Class, we chased him throuhgout the summ,r goodness knows how much he has cost in wages and what deals had to be struck to get him. Apart form the Everton game frankly he has been shocking for most of this season. Really today when he managed to bring the ball under control (his first touch is appaling) he didn't ever look like doing anything with it. He bumbled his way through challenges then ran into dead ends. He would get to the by line but never remotely looked like crossing. How many times was he offside when he should have been looking down the line. We are paying him untold wages and deserve more than "he is trying his best" no fudging way is that the case. The man is not a youth player trying to break through. fudge me Gooners must be laughing their heads off today. If only we could have signed berbatov instead in the summer.
I agree with your last line, berbs is twice the player, but we've got ade and as far as performances go this season that wasn't in his bottom 80%. Should he be doing better, of course, but he's clearly a mentally weak individual and his head went early doors this season.

Back