• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barbecues

Regarding pizza i have not yet had a go, would love to, but as the GF is gluten intolerant it means I'd only be cooking for one so it always gets put on the back burner. Might have to have the boys round for a pizza party when lockdown is over
yellow-card.jpg

Bit more than a brand name id say - great build quality backed up by the ten year guarantee. The GBS cooking grate system allows for tons of well thought out, useful accessories and with it being such a widely used bit of kit there are plenty of 3rd party companies building interesting attachments and what not soecifically for their kettle.

I'd say if you're not going to go down the expensive Kamado route and you think there's potential to get in to bbqing as something more than just hot dogs and burgers a couple times during the summer then the Weber Kettle is going to be the best choice for you 9 times out of ten.

I don't disagree they're probably better designed but you can still cook good food on a cheap BBQ, if you have a decent cut and a good marinade then it will likely taste good regardless of the BBQ used. If you want a very specific way of cooking/method then agreed it's worth spending more but for the average person a standard BBQ will be sufficient.

thanks, do you have any recommendations?

Not sure mate, I just got a cheap one from Robert Dyas which has done the job so far. That being said I will upgrade to something sturdier with a few gizmos eventually as I'd like one of those big tall smokers but unless you're serious about BBQ's and are going to spend time getting decent cuts, prepping and marinading etc then a standard cheap one will cook a few burgers and sausages just as well as an expensive one.

Would love a smoker
Just got one today. It's a cheap one that looks a bit like a black R2D2, three sections (don't @ me with any racist bs). So I need a few tips on how to use it and what to cook that's simple and tastes like more. I've limited my bbq ambitions to the usual burgers/sausages/etc until now. Time to expand my repertoire.

Whats a good wood to use that is not going to be too strong?

Just got one today. It's a cheap one that looks a bit like a black R2D2, three sections (don't @ me with any racist bs). So I need a few tips on how to use it and what to cook that's simple and tastes like more. I've limited my bbq ambitions to the usual burgers/sausages/etc until now. Time to expand my repertoire.

Whats a good wood to use that is not going to be too strong?
Get a chimney charcoal starter, some good lump charcoal and get some wood chunks, Weber do them I think.
Just use around 5 big lumps to start and then experiment with the amount.
Get a good BBQ book, Aaron Franklin has a good one. Mainly about offsets but it all applies to a charcoal smoker.

Get a chimney charcoal starter, some good lump charcoal and get some wood chunks, Weber do them I think.
Just use around 5 big lumps to start and then experiment with the amount.
Get a good BBQ book, Aaron Franklin has a good one. Mainly about offsets but it all applies to a charcoal smoker.
Just got my charcoal starter from Amazon this morning (damn you Bezos for having everything) and a bag of weber hickory wood chips also from Amazon (damn you to hell Bezos). I think I might try some ribs and chicken to start. If you don't see any more posts from me after this then things have gone badly.

Just got my charcoal starter from Amazon this morning (damn you Bezos for having everything) and a bag of weber hickory wood chips also from Amazon (damn you to hell Bezos). I think I might try some ribs and chicken to start. If you don't see any more posts from me after this then things have gone badly.
Never used wood chips, have a google about how many chips to use and how often you should add them. Over smoked food is the horrible

Never used wood chips, have a google about how many chips to use and how often you should add them. Over smoked food is the horrible
I was watching a youtube of a guy in his allotment with a similar bullet smoker to the one I have, and he used a mug full of wood chips which had been soaking in water for about 20-30mins.

I'm using lump wood too instead of the coals. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Charcoal starters are the best thing invented

Amazon doesn't have it. It's independent companies that list things through the amazon site. I never buy through amazon. If its on amazon, the supplier also has their own site (99,9% of them), so I always go to their site and order. Same price, and delivery but Bezos does not get 15%!
I'd advice everyone to do the same!

Amazon doesn't have it. It's independent companies that list things through the amazon site. I never buy through amazon. If its on amazon, the supplier also has their own site (99,9% of them), so I always go to their site and order. Same price, and delivery but Bezos does not get 15%!
I'd advice everyone to do the same!
Ahhh...good tip. I fudging hate Bezos and his business practices.

So…. I’ve just started with a fire pit cooking set up

any hints and tips

Join the countrywoodsmoke facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CountryWoodSmoke/?ref=share

Good group for all things bbq - I've never cooked over a fire pit before and won't get much chance to living in a low smoke zone.

Been over a year since I've been able to do anything more than a standard bbq as my garden has been impacted by building works - hopefully get back in to the swing soon

Back