• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Barbecues

Anyone get the chance over the weekend? Had 3 on the spin from Thursday (neighbour's must love me) found a spanish foods website recently and got some pork loin steaks in, up there with some of the best steaks I've had in terms of flavour...

Got some iberico pork ribs on order too and will be attempting a low and slow cook on the weber kettle with the snake method next weekend

I did some kebabs on Thursday.

Shoulder of pork makes a good BBQ steak cut and holds up well to marinades.

So, had my first crack at a low and slow cook on the kettle weekend gone. Iberico pork ribs as mentioned above, never cooked ribs before either so all things considered I'm quite happy with the results - think i over rubbed them initially as they were quite strong on the flavour.

MydXuI7.jpg

OeD4WS6.jpg

Found setting and maintaining the temperature a doddle with the snake method shown below

Dh2XdTU.jpg

That burned at around 220F for 4.5 hours with a third of the coals left untouched - all in it was a good first attempt, will try something bigger next time out

Interesting. Do you just light one end? What is 'the snake method' when you're not trying to pull on the dance floor?

Interesting. Do you just light one end? What is 'the snake method' when you're not trying to pull on the dance floor?

It's a technique of indirect cooking on a BBQ which allows you to cook suitable meats over several hours at a low temp, meats more typically known to be cooked in a smoker such as pulled pork and brisket which can take up to 6-12 hours. Essentially converting your bog standard kettle bbq in to a smoker.

Yeah you lay out a row of briquettes stretching around half of the drum, chuck a bunch of lit coals at the beginning and it will then just snake round slowly, keeping the heat at a consistent level - little bit of tampering with the vents if it gets a bit too hot/cold but otherwise not much hassle.

Last edited:
It's a technique of indirect cooking on a BBQ which allows you to cook suitable meats over several hours at a low temp, meats more typically known to be cooked in a smoker such as pulled pork and brisket which can take up to 6-12 hours. This allows you to essentially convert your bog standard kettle bbq in to a smoker.

Yeah you lay out a row of briquettes stretching around half of the drum, chuck a bunch of lit coals at the beginning and it will then just snake round slowly, keeping the heat at a consistent level - little bit of tempering with the vents if it gets a bit too hot/cold but otherwise not much hassle.

Clever you. How long did the ribs take? I don't normally eat pork but Iberico is special stuff. Free range fed on acorns? Where did you pick it up from?

Clever you. How long did the ribs take? I don't normally eat pork but Iberico is special stuff. Free range fed on acorns? Where did you pick it up from?

Meat is from an online fine spanish foods store, https://www.bascofinefoods.com/ all the info is on there, but yes free range and acorn fed, imported by them from Spain (have a read on the site, sound like they know their stuff) and delivered to your door. Good choice of wines and other Spanish bits and pieces too.

Ribs took 4 to 5 hours

Meat is from an online fine spanish foods store, https://www.bascofinefoods.com/ all the info is on there, but yes free range and acorn fed, imported by them from Spain (have a read on the site, sound like they know their stuff) and delivered to your door. Good choice of wines and other Spanish bits and pieces too.

Ribs took 4 to 5 hours

Wow top tip. 4-5 on the bbq. That is patience! The kind of cooking you can do at the moment. The misses would love those ribs, really tempted. I've never truely got into bbqing. Love cooking, and can control so much more with a hob or ovan etc. But taking it to another level smoking things, cooking them slowly on the coals is interesting. Provided you have time.

Can you add in flavours to smoke? Hay or something...?

Wow top tip. 4-5 on the bbq. That is patience! The kind of cooking you can do at the moment. The misses would love those ribs, really tempted. I've never truely got into bbqing. Love cooking, and can control so much more with a hob or ovan etc. But taking it to another level smoking things, cooking them slowly on the coals is interesting. Provided you have time.

Can you add in flavours to smoke? Hay or something...?

You can buy wood chunks fairly easily online, different woods for different flavours, one or two of those on top of the coals will give off enough smoke to flavour the meat.

There are a bunch of 3rd party accessories available that will take the faff out of maintaining the cook - one I've had my eye on is essentially a fan that feeds/starves the bbq air depending on the temperature inside - so in theory once you've set up you can leave it be until the meat reaches the desired temp.

Anyone get the chance over the weekend? Had 3 on the spin from Thursday (neighbour's must love me) found a spanish foods website recently and got some pork loin steaks in, up there with some of the best steaks I've had in terms of flavour...

Got some iberico pork ribs on order too and will be attempting a low and slow cook on the weber kettle with the snake method next weekend

Share the wealth

Edit - I hadn't got to the next page, see it above. Will investigate, love spanish meats.

So, had my first crack at a low and slow cook on the kettle weekend gone. Iberico pork ribs as mentioned above, never cooked ribs before either so all things considered I'm quite happy with the results - think i over rubbed them initially as they were quite strong on the flavour.

MydXuI7.jpg

OeD4WS6.jpg

Found setting and maintaining the temperature a doddle with the snake method shown below

Dh2XdTU.jpg

That burned at around 220F for 4.5 hours with a third of the coals left untouched - all in it was a good first attempt, will try something bigger next time out

That looks great. It would be worth using lumpwood charcoal rather than briquettes. They burn better, there are no nasties and it shouldn't be made of primary rainforest. You might be able to find someone local to you who does it but if not, this lot are good.

https://www.greenolivefirewood.co.uk/barbecue-outdoor-range/lumpwood-charcoal

I used to have someone near me who owned a coppice woodland, made his own and delivered. I got really into the burning properties of different woods.

Would love to get a decent BBQ but wouldn't know where to start? Hasn't been til recently I've had a proper garden I want to spend time in

They're good quality but you can still cook decent food on cheaper BBQs - just a brand name really though I do like their smokers.

Bit more than a brand name id say - great build quality backed up by the ten year guarantee. The GBS cooking grate system allows for tons of well thought out, useful accessories and with it being such a widely used bit of kit there are plenty of 3rd party companies building interesting attachments and what not soecifically for their kettle.

I'd say if you're not going to go down the expensive Kamado route and you think there's potential to get in to bbqing as something more than just hot dogs and burgers a couple times during the summer then the Weber Kettle is going to be the best choice for you 9 times out of ten.

Bit more than a brand name id say - great build quality backed up by the ten year guarantee. The GBS cooking grate system allows for tons of well thought out, useful accessories and with it being such a widely used bit of kit there are plenty of 3rd party companies building interesting attachments and what not soecifically for their kettle.

I'd say if you're not going to go down the expensive Kamado route and you think there's potential to get in to bbqing as something more than just hot dogs and burgers a couple times during the summer then the Weber Kettle is going to be the best choice for you 9 times out of ten.

I agree. I've had a couple of Webber's and they've both lasted really well. Before that, I was having to replace cheap ones every year or two.

I might have asked this before but have you tried doing pizza on the BBQ @billyiddo? It works really well on a kettle BBQ with a pizza stone.

That looks great. It would be worth using lumpwood charcoal rather than briquettes. They burn better, there are no nasties and it shouldn't be made of primary rainforest. You might be able to find someone local to you who does it but if not, this lot are good.

https://www.greenolivefirewood.co.uk/barbecue-outdoor-range/lumpwood-charcoal

I used to have someone near me who owned a coppice woodland, made his own and delivered. I got really into the burning properties of different woods.

I do use lumpwood for general grilling but the consensus seems to be that briquettes are the way to go when it comes to the snake method - the uniform size is what you need to help keep the temp as consistent as possible.

Regarding pizza i have not yet had a go, would love to, but as the GF is gluten intolerant it means I'd only be cooking for one so it always gets put on the back burner. Might have to have the boys round for a pizza party when lockdown is over

Back