• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ballon d'Or

He won a Copa America to be fair.

alan-partridge-idk.gif

To be fair if Lewandowski had been given it last year (instead of skipping it) then this would not be a big deal. But the internet says it is a big deal so now I'm outraged.

There is also a criteria allowing them to take a players whole career into account. Being a seven time winner of the Ballon D’or should put him in good stead for next year.

P.S. Why did they skip it last year? Surely giving the prizes for the achievements during a season is more important than putting on a glitzy ceremony.

There is also a criteria allowing them to take a players whole career into account. Being a seven time winner of the Ballon D’or should put him in good stead for next year.

P.S. Why did they skip it last year? Surely giving the prizes for the achievements during a season is more important than putting on a glitzy ceremony.

If there was ever any doubt whether the ceremony or the award itself was most important, the proof came last year. Even Messi acknowledges that it was a wrong decision to deny Lewandowski the award last year:

After being awarded the 2021 Ballon d'Or, Lionel Messi believes France Football - who dish out the accolade - should give the 2020 trophy to Robert Lewandowski following his second place finish in the most recent edition.

Lewandowski scored 55 goals over the 2019/20 season, 48 in 2020/21 and currently 25 goals in all competitions this season. However, France Football scrapped the 2020 edition of the Ballon d'Or due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with the Pole odds on favourite to win. He was given the 2021 Striker of the year accolade though.

"I want to tell Robert [Lewandowski] that it is an honour for me to compete with him," declared Messi upon receiving his trophy.

"You deserve your Ballon d'Or. Last year everyone agreed that you were the winner. I think France Football should give you your Ballon d'Or and [you should] have it as you deserved it.

"I hope France Football can give it to you so you can have it in your house, because you were the just winner. You have to have it in your house."

Messi again this year? Currently this is 12th and down:

12.Robert Lewandowski (POL, 35 ans, FC Barcelone)
13. Yassine Bounou (MAR, 32 ans, Seville FC/Al-Hilal)
14. Ilkay Gündogan (ALL, 33 ans, Emirates Marketing Project/FC Barcelone)
15. Emiliano Martinez (ARG, 31 ans, Aston Villa)
16. Karim Benzema (FRA, 35 ans, Real Madrid/Al-Ittihad)
17. Khvicha Kvaratskhelia (GEO, 22 ans, Naples)
18. Jude Bellingham (ANG, 20 ans, Borussia Dortmund/Real Madrid)
19. Harry Kane (ANG, 30 ans, Tottenham/Bayern Munich)
20. Lautaro Martinez (ARG, 26 ans, Inter Milan)
21. Antoine Griezmann (FRA, 32 ans, Atlético de Madrid)
22. Min-jae Kim (CDS, 26 ans, Naples/Bayern Munich)
23. André Onana (CAM, 27 ans, Inter Milan/Manchester United)
24. Bukayo Saka (ANG, 22 ans, Arsenal)
25. Josko Gvardiol (CRO, 21 ans, RB Leipzig/Emirates Marketing Project)
26. Jamal Musiala (ALL, 20 ans, Bayern Munich)
27. Nicolo Barella (ITA, 26 ans, Inter Milan)
28. Martin Odegaard (NOR, 24 ans, Arsenal)
28. Randal Kolo Muani (FRA, 24 ans, Eintracht Francfort/Paris-SG)
30. Ruben Dias (POR, 26 ans, Emirates Marketing Project)

Poor Kane

You really have to wonder - he scored 30 goals in 38 PL games for a pretty poor Spurs side and broke countless scoring records last season, yet 19th place is what he gets.

Salah, on the other hand, whose season stats were average in comparison, playing for a club who probably underperformed based on the quality of the squad, is sat in 11th place this year.

These ratings will always be highly subjective and debatable, but as long as it portrays itself as an individual award, the Ballon d'or should have a higher emphasis on context. It's much easier to succeed in a poor league or in a team full of superstars.

For instance the bar should be set higher for Haaland in cash doped City than for Kane in a Spurs side in complete shambles. IMO.

You really have to wonder - he scored 30 goals in 38 PL games for a pretty poor Spurs side and broke countless scoring records last season, yet 19th place is what he gets.

Salah, on the other hand, whose season stats were average in comparison, playing for a club who probably underperformed based on the quality of the squad, is sat in 11th place this year.

These ratings will always be highly subjective and debatable, but as long as it portrays itself as an individual award, the Ballon d'or should have a higher emphasis on context. It's much easier to succeed in a poor league or in a team full of superstars.

For instance the bar should be set higher for Haaland in cash doped City than for Kane in a Spurs side in complete shambles. IMO.

It's all about how the journalists and "experts" vote. They'll all have their own reasons to vote the way they do.

It's all about how the journalists and "experts" vote. They'll all have their own reasons to vote the way they do.

Fair point, forgot this is journalists voting. Just bothers me slightly, but I'll survive, and I'm sure Kane will be top ten next year as Bundesliga champion and top scorer.

Fair point, forgot this is journalists voting. Just bothers me slightly, but I'll survive, and I'm sure Kane will be top ten next year as Bundesliga champion and top scorer.

Bit like rotten tomatoes. The critic score seems to be very iffy. Especially as it seems some have been paid to give favourable scores. Wouldn't surprise me if agents of even clubs try to influence the votes.

Former Blackburn striker Chris Sutton tells BBC Radio 5 Live's Monday Night Club: "Erling Haaland should win it just for his numbers in the Premier League. We are sick of Messi winning it.

"Has anyone made a bigger impact in the Premier League than Erling Haaland?"

Yeah, Big Ange :p

Back