1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Bale. Could we? Would we? Should we?

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Mulletperm, 17 Apr 2017.

1. braineclipse

braineclipse Andy Thompson

At what point does the money side become agreeable to our side though? Or put in another way, if cheap enough just about everyone would agree to make it happen. But what is the breaking point, and how does that match up with what Real Madrid will demand? What other deals could we make with that money?

I hope we are interested, but I would be somewhat doubtful if we threw caution to the wind to get him.

2. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Tom Huddlestone

I never underestimate the power of Levy, so I would never write off such a thing.

I think it was all games, I looked at it back around the Jan window and was working from memory yesterday.

I went back into his time with us as well, where he admittedly played more than I thought, but there were two key things.
    1) Over all average appearance rate was 52/53%
    2) It was declining

It would be impossible to refuse that deal, though I do wonder how well he would work in our side, back in the premiership etc. Its a gamble, so a loan works for me. Every chance he arrives, gets broken and we barely see him....

I think you are right on Sessegnon. He can play LB, could be converted there, but that would really be a waste of his talents. He is a very effective attacking player, and will become better over time. Versatile, two footed enough, smart, good movement, VERY cool head - I like him a lot and think he could grow as a player in a way similar to Bale.

I dont really buy Scara physique critique either, while I dont think he will be built like Bale (and hopefully not succumb to as many injuries) he is a rather robust lad, good size and strength and pace already, and he hasnt finished growing yet...

3. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Eidur Gudjohnsen

I hope we are not interested. Pochettino likes a small squad. Adding an injury prone personnel is not recommended.

4. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I think we need to look at losing injury prone players too. We have been really compromised this season and the like of Lamela never being available has really compounded the issue.

Of course, injuries are expected and cannot be fully avoided, but when you know a player is prone to breaking down and not being available I think its time we moved them on.

Similarly Dembele should have gone sooner, and potentially Wanyama now.

SteveAWOL and harr1984 like this.
  5. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Simon Davies

If Pochettino wants to compete for all trophies then I think he needs to start liking a slightly bigger squad. Look at how we ran out of steam towards the end of this season. Our form for the last quarter of the league campaign was relegation form, not champions form.

6. nayimfromthehalfwayline

We definitely need a bigger core of players, and more rotation.

We need to make room first though.

And its clear minimising injury is also key IMO. Including avoiding/losing injury prone players.

harr1984 likes this.
  7. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

No, I just think comments such as "he doesn't have the physique of a world class player" are shortsighted.

8. scaramanga

scaramanga Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

My words or yours?

9. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Young-Pyo Lee

homegrown - we have loads of room for those (extra), and we could have done with another attacking player this year- I am not sure my opinion on signing him due to his injury record but squad size / room wouldn't be one of my concerns

10. NoLimits01

NoLimits01 Sean Davis

I'm all for having Bale back but under 1 proviso... that it doesn't impact on our other transfers

11. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Simon Davies

For Grealish I would be happy to pay the same amount as whatever we can sell Lamela for. We can swap an injury prone player for one who isn't and also improve our ratio of home grown to overseas players. I think we missed the boat with signing Grealish early last summer though.

Last edited: 23 May 2019
  12. AjaxDeSuperYids

AjaxDeSuperYids Bobby Mimms

I think the key question is, could we have a real chance of winning the league with this squad:

Lloris, Gazzaniga
    Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth
    Wan-Bissaka, Rose, Walker-Peters, Sessegnon
    Ndombele, Winks, Dier, Gomes
    Son, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, Bale, Lucas
    Kane

I think the key thing for a real title challenge is signing another immense attacking midfielder (on top of obviously filling the gaps in central midfield) but to make the real difference is one more beast AM.

Preferably one who can play up top when needed like Son and Lucas.

This player is very hard to find and I initially thought Martial but would man utd sell to us.

If Bale could be signed on the cheap and a deal is worked where we pay him 250k a week, then I think its a no brainer.

If he stays fit we could challenge city and pool all the way next season.

13. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

Bale would comfortably be the best player in the PL, again, it's a no brainer.

Parklaner81 and scaramanga like this.
  14. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Would he? Its not like he has set La Liga alight.

15. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

he's won 4 European cups

16. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Do we really need to list players that have medals even though they are utter brick to illustrate how that doesnt back up your point?

17. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Young-Pyo Lee

When he has been fit he has largely been excellent (not this year) - his problem was staying fit.

18. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Saw something the other day to suggest he had been declining. Significantly less dribbles, less passes, shots, crosses...

I know he has been pretty reliable on goals, but that alone doesnt suggest excellence.

I also think 6 (or is it 5?) years away from the Premier league is a long time. He is a lot older now, and more accustomed to a different type of football, I think it might be naive to assume he would come back the same player that left.

r-u-s-x likes this.
  19. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Young-Pyo Lee

Discount this year as he (and they have been bad).

I don't watch a lot of Madrid but trust Sid Lowe (Guardian / Spanish football podcast) opinion and this was his and backed up by others I talk to, whenever he was fit he was very good and his goal scoring / assists were still very good. The other stats may have to do with the way RM started to play, if you look at Ronaldo's stats I would guess those things also decreased. I am not really a stat man as they can be misleading in isolation.

I have seen him play for Wales and he still looks quality in a crappy team, he is more of a playmaker there passing /dribbling, coming deep for the ball and taking responsibility.

If it came to September next year and he is lining up against us after being fit for the first month I know I would be very worried, I think I would want the other team to have that fear.

20. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

No, I mean he won them, almost single handedly.

Jon and scaramanga like this.