• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bale (again)

A player that can't run, in a Conte team?

He's been saying for months that he'd like to sign for Cardiff (the club he supports) in this eventuality anyway.
Not like he’d start is it, he’d be on the bench with 5 subs available. He’d only really be training with us to keep fit for a few months till his retirement at the World Cup! We’d basically be doing him a favour and could be an X factor sub if things aren’t happening on the pitch.

If he’s already said he’d like to sign for Cardiff though that’s a different matter, the debate becomes pointless.

We were going to buy him weren't we? But got greaves instead.
Could well be, but memory has faded so cannot confirm. Billy Nich was certainly on the lookout for the very best players to strengthen the squad at the time, having completed the Double only six months earlier.

But maybe you're thinking of Tony Marchi? He was often likened to John Charles, though perhaps more in style and physicality than ability. In reality the Welshman was streets ahead of him in pretty much every department.

Could well be, but memory has faded so cannot confirm. Billy Nich was certainly on the lookout for the very best players to strengthen the squad at the time, having completed the Double only six months earlier.

But maybe you're thinking of Tony Marchi? He was often likened to John Charles, though perhaps more in style and physicality than ability. In reality the Welshman was streets ahead of him in pretty much every department.

Think it was an interview with billy nich talking about signing greaves. Him saying it was a choice between the two.

We have Moura who can run, just can’t keep the ball
We need players who can impact games
Bale can do that

I know a lot have decided he won’t work for Conte but I agree with you. He can be the guy to turn to when we can’t break teams down.

He showed his class last season (best goals per min in Prem) despite José deciding to bomb him in 2 games where he’d have likely run riot (Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine) - not exactly a bad back plan for when Deki is injured or needs a rest. I sense that is how GB would like it tbh.

The only thing we need to guard against is that he completely wraps himself in cotton wool waiting for the World Cup. That would just be a waste for all.

I know a lot have decided he won’t work for Conte but I agree with you. He can be the guy to turn to when we can’t break teams down.

He showed his class last season (best goals per min in Prem) despite José deciding to bomb him in 2 games where he’d have likely run riot (Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine) - not exactly a bad back plan for when Deki is injured or needs a rest. I sense that is how GB would like it tbh.

The only thing we need to guard against is that he completely wraps himself in cotton wool waiting for the World Cup. That would just be a waste for all.
I think a lot depends how Conte would view Bale's situation. Will Conte allow Bale to approach his fitness and preparation on his own terms or demand there are no exceptions within the group.

Bale is another winner and although he was accused if being a 'flat track bully', that's exactly what we need at times. Plus it's not like he hasn't got a record of making a difference in big games.

He's out of contract and we don't have RMs weekly wage as a starting point. You're right though to be wary that come a month before the WC he might not want to go near a tackle.

I would steer clear this time round. For the many reasons mentioned above.

The romantic in me would like to see him do one more season, but realistically I think we should be looking forward, not back.

Back