• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

I hope it happens, I’ll be taking an easyJet flight down there to watch a couple of games.
I hope so too. Because if he breaks a habit and takes Marseilles who are not the biggest club in the League, who are not the biggest spenders and he leads them to a trophy against the might of PSG, I might actually develop some respect for him. In the meantime though I don't get the esteem for him given that a novice, Levy and Pochettino had to clean up his mess.

Reactions: DTA
I hope so too. Because if he breaks a habit and takes Marseilles who are not the biggest club in the League, who are not the biggest spenders and he leads them to a trophy against the might of PSG, I might actually develop some respect for him. In the meantime though I don't get the esteem for him given that a novice, Levy and Pochettino had to clean up his mess.
Seems a strange measure by which you will rate him or not. Especially as it's something our own manager (who you clearly rate) has so far failed to do for his entire career.

Great to see AVB becoming the new Marseille manager. All the media expected his managerial career to be over after going to the Russian and Chinese league. But he has done well to come back to the major European football. If he does well at Marseille, I am sure he will be sought by big clubs again.

AVB deserves credit for improving our away record, especially that historic 3-2 away win over ManU. AVB's first season league record is actually better than Pochettino's first season league record ! He would have done even better if Levy had signed Moutinho like AVB wanted ! I am convinced AVB would have done well in his second season at Spurs if not for that traitor Bale who forced us to sell him to Real Madrid.

Seems a strange measure by which you will rate him or not. Especially as it's something our own manager (who you clearly rate) has so far failed to do for his entire career.
Trophies and win percentages appears to be the metric that marks AVB out as a top manager amongst Spurs fans. Hence that being the case, if he was to win or even come close to winning at a club where the dice is not heavily weighted in his favour, like Poch, he will have earned my respect.

The bar is set high because that is what it will take for me to forget the mess he left others to clean up and the fact that since he left he has taken every opportunity to blame our chairman and board for his own inadequacies. That said I mean no disrespect to Spurs fans whether they like him or not, but I genuinely do not understand the love.

Trophies and win percentages appears to be the metric that marks AVB out as a top manager amongst Spurs fans. Hence that being the case, if he was to win or even come close to winning at a club where the dice is not heavily weighted in his favour, like Poch, he will have earned my respect.

The bar is set high because that is what it will take for me to forget the mess he left others to clean up and the fact that since he left he has taken every opportunity to blame our chairman and board for his own inadequacies. That said I mean no disrespect to Spurs fans whether they like him or not, but I genuinely do not understand the love.

I don’t get it either. Poch is ten times the manager he is. Being a coach is not just about managing down but also managing up and AVB doesn’t seem to be able to do that whereas Poch understands the limitations he is under at Spurs but he doesn’t bitch about it. He gets on with things.

I think for some they like AVB because he replaced Redknapp. They were always going to give him much more leeway even if he had a bad run of games. There’s simply no way we would be where we are today if AVB was still in charge, no way.

I don’t get it either. Poch is ten times the manager he is. Being a coach is not just about managing down but also managing up and AVB doesn’t seem to be able to do that whereas Poch understands the limitations he is under at Spurs but he doesn’t bitch about it. He gets on with things.

I think for some they like AVB because he replaced Redknapp. They were always going to give him much more leeway even if he had a bad run of games. There’s simply no way we would be where we are today if AVB was still in charge, no way.
Being second best to Poch is still pretty fudging good.

There is also simply no way we would be where we are today without AVB’s stint at the club.

There is also simply no way we would be where we are today without AVB’s stint at the club.
How is that so? Genuine question. He brought Eriksen to the club and Lamela, the former being a key player and the latter could have been key if he wasn't so injury prone. But I am sure he claimed during one of his post spurs's interviews that we gave him players he didn't want and failed to sign players he did. Therefore not sure if their signings were down to him or the DOF.

For me his stint was the most forgettable of all our recent managers.

How is that so? Genuine question. He bought Eriksen to the club and Lamela, the former being a key player and the latter could have been key if he wasn't so injury prone. But I am sure he claimed during one of his post spurs's interviews that we gave him players he didn't want and failed to sign players he did. Therefore not sure if their signings were down to him or the DOF.

For me his stint was the most forgettable of all our recent managers.

He also signed Lloris, Verts, Dembele, Siggy, Chadli and Dempsey, players who have been a key part of our progression, along with blooding Kane in the PL and bringing the average age of the squad down, almost certainly the wage bill too. Bale notably improved under AVB which no doubt increased the world record transfer fee.

Aside from that, he changed the attitude of the club, the win at Old Trafford against Sir Alex was a watershed moment, in his full season with us, after a bedding in process for his system our results became incredibly solid, the erratic s p u r s y nature went to sleep for a while and I believe it was our highest ever points tally to date.

The second season, in which he was sacked, results were better than the previous year up to the point of his sacking, the big losses to City and Liverpool were outliers, at the point of firing his stats read, P26 W16 D4 L6.

He also signed Lloris, Verts, Dembele, Siggy, Chadli and Dempsey, players who have been a key part of our progression, along with blooding Kane in the PL and bringing the average age of the squad down, almost certainly the wage bill too. Bale notably improved under AVB which no doubt increased the world record transfer fee.

Aside from that, he changed the attitude of the club, the win at Old Trafford against Sir Alex was a watershed moment, in his full season with us, after a bedding in process for his system our results became incredibly solid, the erratic s p u r s y nature went to sleep for a while and I believe it was our highest ever points tally to date.

The second season, in which he was sacked, results were better than the previous year up to the point of his sacking, the big losses to City and Liverpool were outliers, at the point of firing his stats read, P26 W16 D4 L6.
Pretty much sums it up.

Comfortably the second best manager we've had in a generation yet some will always slate him because he refused to dumb things down for them

A lot of speculation there which exaggerates how much credit should be directed his way. I wouldn't class Sigurdsson, Chadli and Dempsey as being key to our progression at all. As for the other signings Lloris aside we were after them before he was appointed. In any case he worked under a DOF which makes it difficult to assign signings solely to him. Bale's break out was the Champions League season under Harry. Bale is such a good player that he can overblow a manager's reputation just ask Chris Coleman. Even AVB takes no credit for Kane's development.

Changed the attitude of the club by winning at Old Trafford? No more than Steve Kean changed Blackburn's winning mentality by winning up there too, by the same score! If any thing regular wins against our top 4 rivals was started by Harry and embedded by Poch. AVB had little to do with it because he was just not here long enough.

Less said about his second season the better, selectively quoting stats with no context limits their usefulness. But tbh I credit Jol with starting our revival; Ramos for winning a trophy; Harry for building a fabulous team and reaching top 4 and the quarter final of the Champs League and now Poch for taking us to another level. AVB? I struggle to see what he brought to the club except for humiliation from Chelsea because we didn't learn from their mistake. On top of that he is probably the most ungracious of all our recent ex managers.

Last edited:
Pretty much sums it up.

Comfortably the second best manager we've had in a generation yet some will always slate him because he refused to dumb things down for them

I think some like him because of how he talks rather than the actual results on the pitch. He could get relegated and people would still like him because he’s an intellectual. If he was half as good as some on here make out then he’d be managing at a more high profile club than Marseille, Shanghai and zenit.

Verts was done before AVB turned up. Dempsey and siggy were ok ish signings but they were sold within 2 years.

You can’t credit AVB for signings that a DOF made but then people still claim Redknapp had no input on the good signings whilst he was at the club.

Kane didn’t get his first league start till Timmy became manager so not sure how AVB gets the credit for that.

There was no structure to how we played under AVB other than give the ball to Bale. That became clear when bale was sold. There was no plan B. IIRC AVB was forced to play Bale as a forward when Defoe got injured and Adebayor took forever to come back from the African nations.

He didn't want Lloris, he made him sit on the bench like a naughty schoolboy. Played Siggy out of position and shackled. As the team became more boring, Bale stood out more by default. Made Adebayor stand on a box to apologise. Zero man-management skills. A disciple of Mourinho's win at all costs, sod the entertainment. Toys out the pram when it wasn't working. A clam in front of the press.
I don't care how good his stats are, it was the most fudging boring football to watch since Graham.

Basically lucked out inheriting Redknapp's fantastic team.;)

When he took over Tottenham he was 35 years old. Maybe, just maybe, he got some experience while managing both us, Zenith and whatever he's done in China and that he'll be fine at Marseilles regardless of how some of us view his time here?

Verts was done before AVB turned up. Dempsey and siggy were ok ish signings but they were sold within 2 years.

You can’t credit AVB for signings that a DOF made but then people still claim Redknapp had no input on the good signings whilst he was at the club.

Kane didn’t get his first league start till Timmy became manager so not sure how AVB gets the credit for that.

There was no structure to how we played under AVB other than give the ball to Bale. That became clear when bale was sold. There was no plan B. IIRC AVB was forced to play Bale as a forward when Defoe got injured and Adebayor took forever to come back from the African nations.

AVB was done before he turned up too.

First league appearance from the bench was under AVB.

There was clearly a structure and a system in place, one that was built to get the best out of Bale.

Bale has won 4 European Cups playing as a forward in Madrid.

He didn't want Lloris, he made him sit on the bench like a naughty schoolboy. Played Siggy out of position and shackled. As the team became more boring, Bale stood out more by default. Made Adebayor stand on a box to apologise. Zero man-management skills. A disciple of Mourinho's win at all costs, sod the entertainment. Toys out the pram when it wasn't working. A clam in front of the press.
I don't care how good his stats are, it was the most fudging boring football to watch since Graham.

Basically lucked out inheriting Redknapp's fantastic team.;)

Made him earn his place from a supremely consistent and professional Friedel.

Adebayor was a taco.

Winning is entertaining imo.

Last edited:
Back