• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

Hee's an alternative point of view, from a player whom i believe i can trust:

“AVB was a ledge. He really impressed me,” he told the latest edition of Four Four Two, explaining the innovative training sessions he put on were always different and designed with the club’s next opponents in mind.

Having arrived at Spurs in 2012 following Harry Redknapp’s sacking, he guided the club into the Europa League in his first season with a club record 72 points, but Arsenal edged them to fourth spot by a point.

“He was a clever, enthusiastic coach and, away from all of that he was really nice guy,” Defoe added.

And things started well in Villas-Boas' second campaign where, according to the striker, Spurs were "flying". However, in the space of a few weeks towards the end of 2013 the club lost 6-0 at Emirates Marketing Project and then 5-0 to Liverpool at White Hart Lane leading to the manager's dismissal.

“Being a young coach, he did not have the experience of dealing with players when things were going badly and it affected him.

"He desperately wanted to do well and wanted the players to love him. It was sad the way it ended.”​

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/totte...e-under-andre-villas-boas#Ux8UISjjIQXMUKeY.99

It was absolutely personality. A shame. He simply cracked under the pressure. What he did for Bale can never be ignored, and he certainly has the tactical acumen and skill to be a top manager. Alas, his personality will probably prevent that from happening.

It was absolutely personality. A shame. He simply cracked under the pressure. What he did for Bale can never be ignored, and he certainly has the tactical acumen and skill to be a top manager. Alas, his personality will probably prevent that from happening.

AVB in the end is a fraud, a guy we all wanted to like, spoke a good game, the packaging was right, the content was not (regardless of the odd happy ex player)

His press/possession game creates issues that he never has addressed
- The possession at cost of tempo or creativity made his sides easy to sit back against
- the suicidal highline with no added protection for the two CB's meant we were open to tonkings/mugging (sit back, invite press, hit over top to pace, result = 1:1 or 2:1 with exposed CB)
- He didn't understand the value of mentality, players under him were not fighters, they rolled over.

Was he the worst manager? = no, but he's also no where near top level, to me he's got good concepts, just not an ability to execute.

I don't think it's fair to say players under him rolled over, after that game at everton where we threw away a 2 goal lead he changed us into a side that could come from behind and let's not forget he was the guy that got us a win over Sir Alex at Old Trafford

he laid a lot of the groundwork for the side we have now

AVB in the end is a fraud, a guy we all wanted to like, spoke a good game, the packaging was right, the content was not (regardless of the odd happy ex player)

His press/possession game creates issues that he never has addressed
- The possession at cost of tempo or creativity made his sides easy to sit back against
- the suicidal highline with no added protection for the two CB's meant we were open to tonkings/mugging (sit back, invite press, hit over top to pace, result = 1:1 or 2:1 with exposed CB)
- He didn't understand the value of mentality, players under him were not fighters, they rolled over.

Was he the worst manager? = no, but he's also no where near top level, to me he's got good concepts, just not an ability to execute.
Even if we were to agree on your points (and I don't), the mere fact that AVB understands that football requires thinking rather than gut instinct and received (incorrect) wisdom makes him a breath of fresh air compared to his predecessor and successor.

Last edited:
I would have more respect for AVB if he could do what his compatriot Marco Silva does. Take teams that are struggling and improve them. AVB just parachutes in to top sides because of his money and connections.

Silva reminds me a little of Poch in how he improves players and transforms struggling clubs. Niasse and Markovic were both inconsistent. He had to deal with important players being sold and Hull were propping up the table and favourites to go down. This man will be managing a top side I'm certain of it while the mercenary AVB goes in search of the next big pay check.

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to say players under him rolled over, after that game at everton where we threw away a 2 goal lead he changed us into a side that could come from behind and let's not forget he was the guy that got us a win over Sir Alex at Old Trafford

he laid a lot of the groundwork for the side we have now

Not sure about that. Of his 7 star signings only 2 are left . We were playing a suicidal system and getting honked, dembele and Eriksen had stalled. Poch has totally rebuilt since AVB left can't really see any of his influence tbh.

AVb won with Porto - didn't he. you gotta give him that.
at that time transfers were made by levy and it was by exchange of lists... avb never got the players he wanted, not was he able to keep those he did.
and worse still, there was no science or system to the ins and outs that levy would endorse.

not sure if poch would have done as well then, because the right thing to do was to overhaul the squad and rid of some of them. imagine if poch had to play adebayor instead of kane....

I think that was his plan for some time wasn't it?

Seemed to really put some noses out of joint that a manager might consider other options later in his career.

I certainly remember him talking about making money to race cars, it may even have been whilst he was at chelsea.

Back