• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
What would happen if he left?

He's been linked to numerous clubs over the summer months and declined to move but...what happens should he eventually be persuaded that the grass is greener elsewhere?

What would happen with Baldini? Would Bale be more likely to leave if his new BFF left? Who would come in to replace AVB?

He's been linked to numerous clubs over the summer months and declined to move but...what happens should he eventually be persuaded that the grass is greener elsewhere?

What would happen with Baldini? Would Bale be more likely to leave if his new BFF left? Who would come in to replace AVB?

he will bring in his mate Capello i guess

Spanish newspaper reports that Tottenham manager has a Barcelona release clause

Posted by SPORT WITNESS on July 19, 2013 at 18:19 in Sport Witness Football

Spanish newspaper AS have reported on their website this evening that Tottenham manager Andre Villas Boas has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave if Barcelona make an approach for him. The Spanish club would have to pay a set fee of 14m but, if AS are right, should they do so then Spurs would be powerless to prevent their manager leaving.

This is of course off the back of the awful news about Tito Vilanova's illness returning. The Barcelona manager had done a superb job last year in the year and did so whilst fighting cancer, that he he got through that and it's returned is incredibly cruel. Vilanova will be leaving the job permanently and not just for treatment like last time, hopefully it will mean that he is able to again fight the illness. The best scenario for everyone is that he does so and returns to Barcelona one day in some capacity.

Barcelona have called a press conference this evening to announce where they go from here and, according to the Spanish press, say that Rubi is the caretaker coach. Rubi only joined the club recently and has very little comparable experience. Guardiola had been a Barcelona player and managed the B team and Vilanova had been his assistant, Rubi doesn't have anything like that to fall back on.

It's unlikely, but not impossible, that they'd give him the job long term. AS think that Villas Boas is a real possibility along with Luis Enrique. The Barcelona job would be tempting for Villas Boas, as it would be for any manager, but the talk of a special buy-out clause for Barcelona sounds odd and not like something that Tottenham would have agreed to, or the manager ask for.

If Levy permitted a specific release clause for AVB to go to Barca, which strikes me as absurd, then it wouldn't be €14M, that is less than Chelsea paid Porto.

If Levy permitted a specific release clause for AVB to go to Barca, which strikes me as absurd, then it wouldn't be €14M, that is less than Chelsea paid Porto.

Levy only gave AVB a 3 year contract and a lowish wage compared to other top managers iirc. No-one was too sure how AVB would fare after what happened at Chelsea, so i very much doubt Levy would have insisted on a massive release clause

Not sure AVB was actually in any position to ask for clauses in contract for release when we appointed him.

Not sure AVB was actually in any position to ask for clauses in contract for release when we appointed him.

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if he did ask for it just from the fact that he has extreme confidence in his own ability. He may have had a bad time at Chelsea but in his mind I'm sure he was still one of the top young coaches in Europe, who always had a soft spot for Barca.

Baldini was brought in to create a management and transfer structure at the club that will likely last far beyond Andre's time here. In fact, considering the relatively longer tenure enjoyed by DoFs in their posts and Baldini's relative youth (early fifties, if I remember correctly), I'd wager he stays around for at least three or four years if everything goes well, regardless of AVB's presence (or otherwise) at the club.

And if AVB leaves this summer or next summer (to Barca or anyone else), I'm sure Baldini and Levy will draw up a suitable list of candidates to continue the development of the direct, fast paced side he's building at Spurs, to ensure minimum disruption. We did only give him a three-year contract, after all, and he himself has always stated a desire to end his career early, so I'm pretty sure we have at least one contingency plan in place, with more to come over the coming year. We likely won't see a sea change (like Jol to Ramos, or Harry to AVB) in the way we play, or the type of players we buy: rather, we'll see a coach who continues AVB's 'Mourinho-lite' approach, without tinkering too much with the essential dynamics of the side: powerful, quick, direct, etcetera. I don't think we'll bring in a tactically-inept-but-motivationally-gifted or particularly old manager again: those tend to be expensive, inflexible, incompetent or all three. We'll probably look for managers between 35 and 55 who have a track record of promoting youngsters, building teams on a budget and playing direct, attacking football. Probably not top-tier (Klopp, Conte, Low, etcetera), but a level below that: managers like Diego Simeone, Christian Streich, or Sami Hyppia, with a few 'formerly tier one' managers (like AVB) who've fallen from grace somewhat thrown in for good measure.

One thing is for certain, though: for the first time in a long, long time, we look like we have plans for almost any eventuality, and look coherent both at the boardroom level and on the field. And I could not be more satisfied with that, or more confident that if our manager leaves, our forward progress will continue unabated.

What would happen? We'd get a new manager.

Whilst i want him to stick around, life would go on.

Levy only gave AVB a 3 year contract and a lowish wage compared to other top managers iirc. No-one was too sure how AVB would fare after what happened at Chelsea, so i very much doubt Levy would have insisted on a massive release clause

All that evidence adds weight to the idea that Levy had the upper hand in the contract negotiations, that. Much is clear. Barca would not be interested in AVB if he failed or made little impact so it would be strange business strategy to permit a bespoke buyout price for one of the worlds wealthiest clubs.

Furthermore we also have some sort of partnership with Madrid...

This is a flimflam rumour and I am ignoring it.

He wouldn't last long is my guess. If they both end up going it's critical that Levy does this right for a change and brings in a DoF first and let that DoF choose the Manager. Arnesen wanted Jol, Levy brings in Santini. Arnesen gets his way but then leaves. Comolli comes in and doesn't want Jol etc. The stabilising force has to be the Director of Football in that scenario, and I am very wary of bringing in a Manager's mate for the role because if that Manager goes we have destabilisation all over again.

He wouldn't last long is my guess. If they both end up going it's critical that Levy does this right for a change and brings in a DoF first and let that DoF choose the Manager. Arnesen wanted Jol, Levy brings in Santini. Arnesen gets his way but then leaves. Comolli comes in and doesn't want Jol etc. The stabilising force has to be the Director of Football in that scenario, and I am very wary of bringing in a Manager's mate for the role because if that Manager goes we have destabilisation all over again.

Of course Commoli got his man in Ramos and that failed.

I think we will be fine with Baldini. It's not as if he is an AVB appointment, it's just that Levy and AVB operate on a similar understanding, and therefore Baldini fits into that.

Well we've ruled out a lot of good managers by appointing a DOF. I said it the day Baldini arrived that it's only a matter off time before Capello becomes our manager.

7YZcicq.jpg

:tumbleweed:

Well we've ruled out a lot of good managers by appointing a DOF. I said it the day Baldini arrived that it's only a matter off time before Capello becomes our manager.

Like who? Far as I can see the only ones who appear against a DOF/Technical director are British managers and there aren't many of them we'd be keen on....

Back