• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB out or not?

AVB out or not?

• Yes

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 49.2%
  • Give him a few more game to turn it around

Votes: 44 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dont. Really not worth it....

plus he kind of has a point. whoever we get in wont have been in the pipeline for long and would therefore be a care taker. are we willing to have such a destabilising affect.....(or effect? which one is it?)

Effect, as it's the noun. Affect is the verb.

you dont think he wants to work anymore? just for money?

I don't think, at 67, he fancies being out on the training ground day-to-day in February doing drills. I think he fancies sitting in his Black Sea villa watching videos and turning up to 8 international meets a year. When he left PSV he made a big deal of no longer having the motivation for club football any more.

Just priceless coming from you.

I really can't see Levy going for someone of that age again, I reckon he'll go for another young manager, although maybe someone not quite as young as AVB.

I'm quite tolerant of people who from the start didn't like AVB. As you know, my feelings on Redknapp were always consistent, even when we were doing well.

What grates is all those who were posting favourably in the 'the elephant in the room (we can win the title)' or the 'give AVB a new contract' thread a month ago, who are suddenly slitting their wrists because we've had two bad results on the bounce. AVB was given a massive job to pull the club into the twenty-first century - it was never going to be a completely smooth ride.

Capello is the obvious next-in-line because of his connections to Baldini (and Levy).

plus he kind of has a point. whoever we get in wont have been in the pipeline for long and would therefore be a care taker. are we willing to have such a destabilising affect.....(or effect? which one is it?)

It's been reported that Levy was wooing AVB back in his Porto days. He obviously re-evaluated after the Chelsea experience, but decided he was still the man to lead this project. Throwing nearly four years of planning out the window to go for a short-term populist manager just isn't very clever.

Plus, considering nearly all our squad now are AVB/Baldini recruits, an old-fashioned 'pat on the back/kick up the ****' type manager might not work in the way there was enough of Jol's squad left for Redknapp to be able to work with.

Last edited:

Effect is the noun. Affect is the verb. Confusion over which is which is why people have started using the noun "impact" as a verb.

No and it would be stupid to do so. We allowed him to spend 100 million this summer, give him at least a season to sort things out, barring a horrendous collapse. We should have sacked him and allowed someone else to spend the money if sacking him after 12 games was even an option, regardless of how unlikely.

I agree 100%

I'm quite tolerant of people who from the start didn't like AVB. As you know, my feelings on Redknapp were always consistent, even when we were doing well.

What grates is all those who were posting favourably in the 'the elephant in the room (we can win the title)' or the 'give AVB a new contract' thread a month ago, who are suddenly slitting their wrists because we've had two bad results on the bounce. AVB was given a massive job to pull the club into the twenty-first century - it was never going to be a completely smooth ride.

Capello is the obvious next-in-line because of his connections to Baldini (and Levy).

I wasn't convinced Levy knew what he was doing when he appointed him but I was willing to be patient. Doubts crept into my mind at a similar stage last season, but he turned it around and 5th was a good first season, not spectuclar, but certainly not below par. Given the squad we had, it was the least I expected but he achieved it.

I never thought we could win the title this season, I know you've got to aim high, but that was a step too far. Top 5 again was the requirement for me, not overly unrealistic in my book. To be fair it isn't two bad results, it's two shocking results (W. Ham and Emirates Marketing Project) and one bad result (Saudi Sportswashing Machine) with zero goals scored in those game. Plus given we've needed some rather fortunate penalty decisions to win games for us, some people thought we were in a false position, coupled with the style of play which has been dreadful despite assurances from the likes of yourself that things would improve. Well it's been over a year now and it still hasn't improved.

I believe most reasonable Spurs fans have been saying we should be aiming for the top 4/5 this season again, with a few posters like yourself for example saying 3rd should be the goal. The expectations from the fans for the previous 3 managers has been top 4 and/or a trophy so I really don't think it's unfair to expect similar things from the current manager.

Final point, I really think you are exaggerating what kind of state the club was in when AVB took over. Of course the previous 3 managers had their faults and bought certain players that needed to be moved on, but we still had a core of a squad that at worst was of a top 6 calibre. You make it sound like the previous manager left us a midtable type squad that needed a massive overhaul.

Last edited:
I wasn't convinced Levy knew what he was doing when he appointed him but I was willing to be patient. Doubts crept into my mind at a similar stage last season, but he turned it around and 5th was a good first season, not spectuclar, but certainly not below par. Given the squad we had, it was the least I expected but he achieved it.

I never thought we could win the title this season, I know you've got to aim high, but that was a step too far. Top 5 again was the requirement for me, not overly unrealistic in my book. To be fair it isn't two bad results, it's two shocking results (W. Ham and Emirates Marketing Project) and one bad result (Saudi Sportswashing Machine) with zero goals scored in those game. Plus given we've needed some rather fortunate penalty decisions to win games for us, some people thought we were in a false position, coupled with the style of play which has been dreadful despite assurances from the likes of yourself that things would improve. Well it's been over a year now and it still hasn't improved.

I believe most reasonable Spurs fans have been saying we should be aiming for the top 4/5 this season again, with a few posters like yourself for example saying 3rd should be the goal. The expectations from the fans for the previous 3 managers has been top 4 and/or a trophy so I really don't think it's unfair to expect similar things from the current manager.

Final point, I really think you are exaggerating what kind of state the club was in when AVB took over. Of course the previous 3 managers had their faults and bought certain players that needed to be moved on, but we still had a core of a squad that at worst was of a top 6 calibre. You make it sound like the previous manager left us a midtable type squad that needed a massive overhaul.

I don't especially mean the personnel. I mean things like having a system rather than relying on 1 or 2 individuals to be brilliant, playing with possession rather than being a plucky on-the-break side, having a transfer strategy, fitness, sports science, sports psychology, scouting and medical excellence. All these things hadn't really moved on since the early 90s (although for short spells Hoddle and Ramos were more progressive in these areas). Wenger didn't achieve what he has through coaching, it was by changing the whole culture and ethos of the club. We're still quite a way behind, but making significant progress in the last 15 months (and will do more, as a lot are now Baldini's area of responsibility).

In terms of players - losing Modric, vdV, Bale and King were big blows, but unavoidable. All of AVB's 15 odd signings have been upgrades on the other players they've replaced, although not stepped up into the shoes of these big 4 yet. So we've massively upgraded the squad, whilst maybe not yet getting the first 11 back up to that level. We've also dropped our average age considerably (when Friedel and Defoe go in Jan or June, I don't think we'll really have anyone left over 30). It's putting in place the foundations for something big. Like what Nicholson was doing in the late 50s, Burkinshaw in the late 70s or Ferguson c.1990.

Last edited:
Can't you use effect as a verb? eg. "the aim is to effect a change"

Yep, when the verb means "to cause" then you can use effect as a verb. I believe there is a place for affect as a noun too but I can never remember it.

The votes are in and have been counted. I'm moving this thread to classics before Scara sets you all some English homework. AVB discussion can continue in the AVB thread.

Back