• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB - I want him out now!

Yes I know but the league position is virtually the same and it's only one season compared to 3 and a half under Redknapp, one of which he came in and we were struggling big time in the relegation zone whereas AVB took over a team that finished 4th whilst admittedly lost some key players.

Redknapp 198 games, AVB 73 games, so yes there is a difference but i would believe that if AVB is a manager for over 30 years he will be the more successful.

When we hire a coach that is not only talented but believes and respects the traditions of the club and the fans.

We've had Harry who was a good coach, someone who had us playing in the club's traditions but he didn't respect the fans or the club he was in it for himself and when he thought the Englsnd job was his he stopped doing his job and threw 3rd place away.

His retort was our fans were stupid and this is as good as it gets. You could tell he had contempt for us.

Now we have AVB, a man who openly admits he doesn't want to be a manager for long, he wants to get to the top quickly then go off and race cars.

We're a stepping stone to rebuild his reputation and he's playing it safe. It's about him again. Another 'safe' season from him and the PSG or Barca job will be his.

He has criticised the fans openly again. You can tell he feels he knows best and is cleverer than us all.

You think Barca or PSG are going to take on the new George Graham?

By the way, i have declared myself as Fozzie Bear, which one are you mate? :lol:

I'm biting.

You have hit the crux of disappointment with Redknapp
He had the moment and he let it slip due to a variety of off-the-field dramas he was engaged in. He was supported diligently by the club through this time, and he chose to take his eye off the prize because he was sure a bigger one was coming.

You can moan all you want about Villas-Boas, one thing he WILL NOT DO is ****ing put in less than 100%, and another thing he WILL NOT DO is not accept ANY responsibility in a failure.

If it goes tits up, and the likes of you get their wish, you will see a man who gave it everything, came up short of expectations (which shift all the ****ing time because let's face it, half our support doesn't know how it actually wants it's eggs served from minute to minute) and will not be afraid to accept whatever responsibility sits with him.

The 'myth' of Harry refuses to die. Sometimes I wish he would come back for a year just so as everyone could see for themselves the TRUE context of 'that' season…FFS…

And finally, before ANYONE jumps off and starts accusing me of 'failing to recognize…etc etc' hush! That is simply NOT the case. I just lament the sheer one-sidedness of those who supported him. It's absolutely as blind as that which people who support AVB are accused of being, indeed it's more so as there is never a hint of criticism of the 'Great Man'…this comes from someone who freely admits that Harry gave me one of my top ten live moments at football (that City game) and who bought the man's book and enjoyed it.

Nah, I don't think it works when managers go back, Mourinho isn't the same Mourinho he was first time around at Chelsea. As you know I've supported Redknapp but we can't ever go back to him.

Personally I don't care if people don't like him, I've admitted to you that I've actually grown to dislike him as a man over the past 18 months, but that doesn't mean people should belittle what he achieved as if some mug like Paolo Di Canio or Steve Kean could have done the same, it's petty and a fallacy. Not saying you do that just to be clear.

I won't lie, I'm on the fence about AVB, last season he did ease some of my doubts, but they've crept back in again. Some of his comments have baffled me, he said before the West Ham game that we would "prepare for that game on the day" as it came after a EL match, that's the sort of comment I would expect from Arry tbh :lol:

Last edited:
Nah, I don't think it works when managers go back, Mourinho isn't the same Mourinho he was first time around at Chelsea. As you know I've supported Redknapp but we can't ever go back to him.

Personally I don't care if people don't like him, I've admitted to you that I've actually grown to dislike him as a man over the past 18 months, but that doesn't mean people should belittle what he achieved as if some mug like Paolo Di Canio or Steve Kean could have done the same, it's petty and a fallacy. Not saying you do that just to be clear.

Not especially addressing you mate, I think in the past few months we have managed via discussion to agree on some things and agree to disagree on others. We will never wholly agree on everything but how boring that would be eh? At least we can have a discussion about it and concede points to each other and come to a place of reason. What I lament in threads such as this is the utter polarization and ludicrousness of some viewpoints. To be clear, as I've always said about Redknapp, for me, his single biggest problem was always that he COULD'VE won silverware with us but CONSISTENTLY stopped paying full attention/became distracted and never had the balls to cop to it. The nature of his departure is also never fully recorded…let me just say that when someone takes on Paul Stretford as an agent, it isn't necessarily to puff the peace pipe. Anyway…here's to being able to have many more conversations and decent exchanges mate...

I know it wasnt aimed at me but in simplistic terms - we looked better because the shackles came off, the players played with freedom UP UNTIL AVB decided to change tactics and formation i.e. Defoe came on (who I like by the way).

personally I thought it was an attitude shift in the second half when the players realised turning up alone wasn't enough to win, for me the problems in the first half all stemmed from laziness, we were not pressing sufficiently when we didn't have the ball and were not concentrating when we did

This thread seems to be drifting a bit and covering a lot of the same ground as several others. Bringing Redknapp into the discussion (tut, tut Steff) certainly won't help. I'm tempted to lock this thread and the conversation on here can continue on the other AVB thread. I'll hold off for half an hour, if anyone has a good reason for keeping this thread open and thinks that there is a conversation here that is not being covered in another thread, shout now.

Really? How's that then? Losing Modric one season, Bale the next and having Willian stolen from the medical? Having to figure out what to do with Jenas, etc? I like your definition of luck...

I'd say it's about even on the luck front:

AVB - Lost Bale, Modric, King. Didn't get a single penalty last season.

Redknapp - Health issues, Chelsea spawning their way to win the European Cup thereby eliminating us. Fulop on the last day.

Last edited:
This thread seems to be drifting a bit and covering a lot of the same ground as several others. Bringing Redknapp into the discussion (tut, tut Steff) certainly won't help. I'm tempted to lock this thread and the conversation on here can continue on the other AVB thread. I'll hold off for half an hour, if anyone has a good reason for keeping this thread open and thinks that there is a conversation here that is not being covered in another thread, shout now.

Apologies mate, you're right, a slip there and I should know better.

I sadly agree that this thread appears to be going nowhere…I'll look to do my bit not to drag things where they shouldn't go. So apologies all. Maybe it's best to fold it all into another place...

I don't see the problem to referring to previous managers in this context. Would people not be allowed to mention Jol or Ramos either? It's only natural to compare previous managers and players, people do it all the time with the likes of Soldado, Sigurdsson, Lloris, Walker, Rose, Townsend and the list goes on.

Really? How's that then? Losing Modric one season, Bale the next and having Willian stolen from the medical? Having to figure out what to do with Jenas, etc? I like your definition of luck...

Got Baled out last season, now getting fluky penalties this. Would have significantly lower points tallies otherwise, he just fools people because he has a nice beard and makes up big words.

I don't see the problem to referring to previous managers in this context. Would people not be allowed to mention Jol or Ramos either? It's only natural to compare previous managers and players, people do it all the time with the likes of Soldado, Sigurdsson, Lloris, Walker, Rose, Townsend and the list goes on.

It's more that we've got the same discussion going on in several threads.

This thread has only been open a week and already has more responses and pages than threads open over a year.

It has generated some much needed debate into the future direction of our club and focused some on the failings of a manager who a great deal of people, me included, want to succeed.

AVB is a nice bloke, charming, dapper, articulate, it's so great story too. I feel he's held up by some to be some kind of grand planner and master tactician when I don't think that's Bourne out in the pitch.

Why close this thread? Unfortunately I got the impression the mods were desperate for it to go away as soon as it was created. One comment : "please don't reply and let this thread die the death it deserves" I believe? So much for independent debate and thought. Unfortunately this thread has got people thinking and talking and some don't appear to like it much!

Got Baled out last season, now getting fluky penalties this. Would have significantly lower points tallies otherwise, he just fools people because he has a nice beard and makes up big words.

Hilarious…that simple eh? No 'discussion' to be had there. OK, who comes in when we sack him at Xmas?

This thread has only been open a week and already has more responses and pages than threads open over a year.

It has generated some much needed debate into the future direction of our club and focused some on the failings of a manager who a great deal of people, me included, want to succeed.

AVB is a nice bloke, charming, dapper, articulate, it's so great story too. I feel he's held up by some to be some kind of grand planner and master tactician when I don't think that's Bourne out in the pitch.

Why close this thread? Unfortunately I got the impression the mods were desperate for it to go away as soon as it was created. One comment : "please don't reply and let this thread die the death it deserves" I believe? So much for independent debate and thought. Unfortunately this thread has got people thinking and talking and some don't appear to like it much!

You could've engaged in that with the other AVB thread. be honest. You wanted to make a Killroy-type stand, you wanted to make an extreme splash, and you're getting fish on all sides to bite (including me!!!!!!)…

Let's be honest here matey…this has nothing to do with reasoned debate, and everything to do with generating arguments...

Hilarious…that simple eh? No 'discussion' to be had there. OK, who comes in when we sack him at Xmas?

This is a line many trot out when defending a manager from the sack, but surely the worry about who to bring in shouldn't get in the way of getting rid of someone who isn't working, or be a reason for keeping them in a job?

I agree with you on this point.

What we are seeing now is largely what he wants from us. I don't think it is him not knowing how to coach possession football.

I also don't think we can say Rodgers has figured out the key to all footballing success before the end of the season. If he keeps it up and finishes above us, by all means.

****ing THIS!!!

=D> thank YOU!!!

The idea that we know more than a scholar like AVB is verging no lunacy.

If AVB wants to commit men forward and play a high risk game he will, right now we arent at that stage yet...but our 'predicament' is more to do with continual growth and development by choice as opposed to **** players or the notion we find it hard to break down teams

this is why away we are a super efficienct and dangerous team and at home we look mediocre for large stretches until he sounds the alarm and turns up the heat

Back