• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB - I want him out now!

i dont doubt that this is a master plan, cause this cannot possibly be "it", but i think the attacking potential can already be realised now to the much higher degree than we have seen...i just dont think AVB wants it out there right now.

i dont doubt that this is a master plan, cause this cannot possibly be "it", but i think the attacking potential can already be realised now to the much higher degree than we have seen...i just dont think AVB wants it out there right now.

I think that it is about people rather than tactics. I think that it is just taking a little longer to gel in the final third than it has elsewhere on the pitch and that Eriksen and Lamela have not been quite ready for the PL together yet.

It seems bizarre to me that this thread was started after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game when there have been far worse performances earlier in the season. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we bossed it for 60 minutes and it was only a freakishly brilliant performance from their keeper that stopped us scoring a hatful.

Why is AVB playing Townsend then and allowing him to take on players constantly? Why hasn't this been "coached out of him" before he's given time on the pitch? Where are the safe passes?

You're really having a go at AVB for the development he oversaw with Bale? Is there anything AVB has done that you will give him credit for at this point if not this? The development where we could all see Bale go from a super talented and very good young player into a real life superstar signed for a world record transfer fee by Real Madrid? Not even this development is beyond complaint? Seems unreasonable to me.

I agree with you on this. It annoyed me when people did the same with Redknapp, he simply "got lucky" with Bale apparently. Never got credit for getting the best out of Lennon, improving Modric, utilising King as best as he possibly could after that joke Ramos only played him in the UEFA Cup. Even if you don't care for the manager, you have to be willing to hold your hands up and give him credit when it's due.

AVB has made us difficult to score against. He deserves credit for that. However, has it been at the cost of our attacking fluidity and lack of goals? Probably. It has certainly made us significantly less entertaining to watch.

Is he in the middle of a grand, masterplan? Some seem to think so. Others see no evidence of this.

Regarding Townsend, I think AVB is endeavouring to restrict his natural attacking inclinations. Much like he has done with Lennon, who looks a shadow of himself under AVB IMO.

Regarding Bale, some think AVB deserves ALL the credit for his performances last season. Others point out that Harry was the first to play him through the middle and all over the front ( in spite of chants of " Bale, he plays on the left"). Personally, I think Bale himself turned himself into the superstar by his many hours practicing his free-kicks and shooting with both feet. No one deserves the credit for that but the man himself.

Agree to an extent, but it's a bit of both in my opinion. Obviously the player has to have the desire to work on his game like you said.

why is it such a problem that some fans want us to score more and be more threatening in the attacking 3rd? 6 goals from open play in 11 PL games!! I think fans from any club with that kind of record would have a little moan even if their team was in 1st place and 10 pts clear.

i mean everyone is analysing our attacking play, other fans, journos, the media and wondering why with such talent and expenditure we dont score more or even look like scoring. Why cant we as fans of our own club do it. I just dont get it

Maybe I'm wrong for saying this, but it comes across as "I'm a better fan than you" because I always back the team/manager/club in general regardless of the issue. I fully understand that there will always be football fans of all clubs that 100% back their club to the hilt, I have no doubt that there would be Spurs fans defending a player like Suarez's antics if he played for Spurs. I don't know why those that do do that can't accept that some of us can't always agree with x person at the club.

There are some OTT statements in this thread, on both sides to be fair, perhaps some from me too :lol:

Agree with this, wish we could "do over" from Jan 2012 onwards, I fear Harry may be proven right when he said that's as good as it gets.

Did he ever actually say that? I get that he used to have digs at the fans, I don't like it when any manager has a go at the fans for not singing when the football is dire, but a lot of what he said wasn't wrong.

Yep that's so true - I mean we have excelled since then.

To everyone who says "he's found his level now", he found ours too.

Believe it or not, my opinion of him as a man has changed since the release of his book and some time before that too. But for everyone who thought he was an average manager and AVB is a far superior tactician and manager in general, the results have been almost identical.

Can someone please tell me why does it take a "transition" into a possession based team? Are we buying into this because we want to? By all means tell me we have 7 players to integrate who need more time to get used to each other, but why does it take time to play a system and why do we look so poor playing it? Is AVB teaching them football from scratch? The likes of Southampton and Liverpool changed to a possession based system last season but looked fine pretty much straight away albeit they needed time to really make it work. How can players like Rickie Lambert immediately buy into it but players like Lamela, Dembele, Soldado etc do not? Arsenal "bought" into Wenger's philosophy in his first full season. I'm not sure the problem lies with the change from counter attacking to possession based football. It's to do with how AVB is coaching it?

Can someone please tell me why does it take a "transition" into a possession based team? Are we buying into this because we want to? By all means tell me we have 7 players to integrate who need more time to get used to each other, but why does it take time to play a system and why do we look so poor playing it? Is AVB teaching them football from scratch? The likes of Southampton and Liverpool changed to a possession based system last season but looked fine pretty much straight away albeit they needed time to really make it work. How can players like Rickie Lambert immediately buy into it but players like Lamela, Dembele, Soldado etc do not? Arsenal "bought" into Wenger's philosophy in his first full season. I'm not sure the problem lies with the change from counter attacking to possession based football. It's to do with how AVB is coaching it?

I can't speak for anyone else but when I have talked of transition I have been talking about integrating the new players, youth players and Sandro and Kaboul after their long lay offs.

I think that it is about people rather than tactics. I think that it is just taking a little longer to gel in the final third than it has elsewhere on the pitch and that Eriksen and Lamela have not been quite ready for the PL together yet.

It seems bizarre to me that this thread was started after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game when there have been far worse performances earlier in the season. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we bossed it for 60 minutes and it was only a freakishly brilliant performance from their keeper that stopped us scoring a hatful.

i'm going about this the wrong.

let me ask you, why did we look better in the second half against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? what was the main difference to you?

Possession is very overrated anyway. Even Brendan but we won the possession Rodgers sems to have realised this and his Liverpol side are now much more threatening since conceding a little possession.

let me ask you, why did we look better in the second half against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? what was the main difference to you?

I know it wasnt aimed at me but in simplistic terms - we looked better because the shackles came off, the players played with freedom UP UNTIL AVB decided to change tactics and formation i.e. Defoe came on (who I like by the way).

I agree with you on this point.

What we are seeing now is largely what he wants from us. I don't think it is him not knowing how to coach possession football.

I also don't think we can say Rodgers has figured out the key to all footballing success before the end of the season. If he keeps it up and finishes above us, by all means.

To everyone who says "he's found his level now", he found ours too.

Believe it or not, my opinion of him as a man has changed since the release of his book and some time before that too. But for everyone who thought he was an average manager and AVB is a far superior tactician and manager in general, the results have been almost identical.

Almost but AVB has better http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurManagersRecords1898-2009.html

Redknapp has one trophy in over 30 years and three relegations which ( imo) makes him a average manager and this story rings bells, Portsmouth comes to mind.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...-record-breaking-60m-fine-092516370--sow.html

Almost but AVB has better http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurManagersRecords1898-2009.html

Redknapp has one trophy in over 30 years and three relegations which ( imo) makes him a average manager and this story rings bells, Portsmouth comes to mind.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...-record-breaking-60m-fine-092516370--sow.html

Well I'm judging them by how they have both done at Spurs, the league position was the same that Redknapp achieved with us. They both have/had strengths and both have flaws. Redknapp had a nightmare for 6 months, but the rest of his tenure was ultimately a success I don't know how anyone could argue that. If you really want to talk about how they've both done at other clubs then it's only fair to mention AVB's tenure at Chelsea, which albeit brief was also a failure.

Well I'm judging them by how they have both done at Spurs, the league position was the same that Redknapp achieved with us. They both have/had strengths and both have flaws. Redknapp had a nightmare for 6 months, but the rest of his tenure was ultimately a success I don't know how anyone could argue that. If you really want to talk about how they've both done at other clubs then it's only fair to mention AVB's tenure at Chelsea, which albeit brief was also a failure.

AVB has a higher win average at Spurs then Redknapp, thats what the link is.

Also, for people who are writing him off AND people who are convinced he is going to be a top manager and in some cases, people who think he is that already, it's far too early too tell. Not enough of a sample.

AVB has a higher win average at Spurs then Redknapp, thats what the link is.

Yes I know but the league position is virtually the same and it's only one season compared to 3 and a half under Redknapp, one of which he came in and we were struggling big time in the relegation zone whereas AVB took over a team that finished 4th whilst admittedly lost some key players.

Agree with this, wish we could "do over" from Jan 2012 onwards, I fear Harry may be proven right when he said that's as good as it gets.

I'm biting.

You have hit the crux of disappointment with Redknapp
He had the moment and he let it slip due to a variety of off-the-field dramas he was engaged in. He was supported diligently by the club through this time, and he chose to take his eye off the prize because he was sure a bigger one was coming.

You can moan all you want about Villas-Boas, one thing he WILL NOT DO is ****ing put in less than 100%, and another thing he WILL NOT DO is not accept ANY responsibility in a failure.

If it goes tits up, and the likes of you get their wish, you will see a man who gave it everything, came up short of expectations (which shift all the ****ing time because let's face it, half our support doesn't know how it actually wants it's eggs served from minute to minute) and will not be afraid to accept whatever responsibility sits with him.

The 'myth' of Harry refuses to die. Sometimes I wish he would come back for a year just so as everyone could see for themselves the TRUE context of 'that' season…FFS…

And finally, before ANYONE jumps off and starts accusing me of 'failing to recognize…etc etc' hush! That is simply NOT the case. I just lament the sheer one-sidedness of those who supported him. It's absolutely as blind as that which people who support AVB are accused of being, indeed it's more so as there is never a hint of criticism of the 'Great Man'…this comes from someone who freely admits that Harry gave me one of my top ten live moments at football (that City game) and who bought the man's book and enjoyed it.

Back