• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

At last - welcome to the new Nasty Tottenham.

Spur of the moment

Frederic Kanoute
Nasty in a good way. For all the nonsense of Monday night - the excessive force was to my mind a one-off, an aberration - behind it all there was a clear and powerful message, one that all Tottenham fans will take heart from.

This new Tottenham has thrown down the gauntlet to the Premier League. DO NOT MESS WITH US. We are no longer a pushover. The new Nasty Tottenham has arrived. We have rolled up our sleeves. We mean business.

I agree. The tackles made by Dier in particular were what we always needed. At times however, especially with Dembele's incident, it did seem more like we were playing the way Chelsea wanted us to rather than the way we wanted to.

But it is reassuring to see that we are prepared to go in hard now and I do think that is testament to a shift in mentality at the club. We are NOT becoming a dirty team otherwise we would've shown this in the 36 other premier league games. But I believe we are becoming, as strange as it may sound to say just a few days after 'losing' the title, winners.

Looking at Lamela's change this season is IMO evidence of that. He's gone from quite a weak member of our team who could occasionally produce brilliance to very much a key member of our team, unafraid to break up the play to benefit the club. For me if he had stayed on in both NLD's we would have won. Maybe I'm being biased in saying that but I genuinely feel his substitution cost us those games.

Some of us may not be happy with this shift in mentality. They may consider even one game each season where you play aggressively to be cheating. They may consider that it makes us a dirty club.

To those I ask whether they are happy to see us make it 100 years without a league title, or whether they are prepared to see us do whatever it takes to be champions?

I actually saw someone (I think GlasgowSpur but please don't feel I'm singling you out!!) say that "Leicester appeared willing to do whatever it took to become champions" as a criticism. Of course they were, that's why they are champions of the country and we haven't been so for over half a century.

This shift is so needed. Fergie's teams weren't above putting in a challenge or too. Mourinho, as we all know, was underhanded when it came to just about anything to do with the sport. When Wenger used to be a great manager he didn't mind if his players took a tumble or two to keep them 'invincible'. Now he no longer minds whether his players take a tumble or two but is a pretty crap manager.

Whilst I feel that our young heroes walked into a trap of sorts on Monday night, I'm delighted that they weren't afraid to get stuck in when needed. As a team they will learn a lot from that experience, and as 'Spur of he moment' has stated, we've shown the rest of the PL that we do indeed mean business and wont be bullied.

Whilst I feel that our young heroes walked into a trap of sorts on Monday night, I'm delighted that they weren't afraid to get stuck in when needed. As a team they will learn a lot from that experience, and as 'Spur of he moment' has stated, we've shown the rest of the PL that we do indeed mean business and wont be bullied.

I sincerely hope they do learn from this experience - and do not repeat it.

I prefer the Tottenham that wins football matches by scoring more goals than the other side.

This team has done exactly that this season. What they have shown in addition is they can go rugged when needed. What they now need is our support and also how to turn that ruggedness on and off during a game. To go to Stamford Bridge, Emirates, Anfield and Etihad Stadium and come out without a loss this season to me is a sign of improvement not to mention the 2nd place position.

This team has done exactly that this season. What they have shown in addition is they can go rugged when needed. What they now need is our support and also how to turn that ruggedness on and off during a game. To go to Stamford Bridge, Emirates, Anfield and Etihad Stadium and come out without a loss this season to me is a sign of improvement not to mention the 2nd place position.

Spot on!

I sincerely hope they do learn from this experience - and do not repeat it.
This.

No pushovers? We lost our heads and surrendered a two goal lead against a poor Chelsea side and on another day we would have been down to 9 or 10 men.

Depends which way you look at it I suppose, you may say we can be nasty but other teams will look at us and think we are easy to wind up and can't kill off games.

In a way that trap failed, I believe Chelsea went in with the attitude of "wind them up and wound them" thinking we would "just roll over and cry", what actually happened was they got the opposite result of having to deal with hard tackles, something we know Fibreglass can't handle, so then had to pull out their second book of dirty tricks and start "reacting to the bad tackles" making things look a lot worse than they actually were. I certainly think Terry spoke out at half time saying "come on lads they're winning AND kicking us off the park, start over reacting and getting in their (and the refs) face." Hence the massive swing in the second half in play and bookings.

It probably was me you are quoting, and I stand by that. I don't take snub offence either BTW.
There has been a lot of bad at Leicester that I wouldn't want to copy, and if we did I would walk away. That's some of the anything to win.
But there's another side to Leicester and their attitude that we need to copy. Anything to win, including throwing you body in front of the ball even if it's going to hurt. Both the goals on Monday for instance could have been blocked if we were a little braver. Walker turns his back in the first and I couldn't quite see but I think it was Jan with the last pass to hazard.
We are getting there though, and if we carry on in the same vein no one can have complaints about how we have done.

In a way that trap failed, I believe Chelsea went in with the attitude of "wind them up and wound them" thinking we would "just roll over and cry", what actually happened was they got the opposite result of having to deal with hard tackles, something we know Fibreglass can't handle, so then had to pull out their second book of dirty tricks and start "reacting to the bad tackles" making things look a lot worse than they actually were. I certainly think Terry spoke out at half time saying "come on lads they're winning AND kicking us off the park, start over reacting and getting in their (and the refs) face." Hence the massive swing in the second half in play and bookings.
Actually terry came after the game and said it was a good game and we had done well.
It really is bizarre to my mind that almost all the ones who have come out against over the last few weeks have been foreign. There seems to be a grudging respect from the English players.

Its quite clear that a few people on this site have never played football in a competitive environment. Even at the lowest levels there are clams, wind-up merchants and slimy tossers who will do anything to gain an edge and are nasty feckers to boot. You can't just turn the other cheek and expect to waltz through their defence, win 6-0 and take the moral high ground. You have to come to the table, match their aggression and THEN you play your football. It needs both to be a title-winning team.

Some seem to have forgotten when we'd be leading in a big match, the other side would then start putting the boot in and we'd lose, whining about how we 'went missing'.
Some seem to have forgotten our non-reaction to Emirates Marketing Project assaults in that key Jan 2012 game at the Etihad which was at the time between two title challenges.

I think we more than most contributed to the 'Southern softies' mantra as well as the 'don't like it up them'.....whilst not necessarily wanting to 'glorify' violence we should accept that having a rep of 'not being southern and soft' helps to make the opposition think twice before wanting to play a game in a totally rough game. Remember, careers can be extended because of that alone..

Whilst it was wrong and probably not the right way to play, i have to admit, though, that i loved every minute of it. We were hacking them down all over the place. Walker, Rose, Dier and Lamela put some hard challenges in. Heck even Kane joined in the act. We absolutely refused to be bullied. We showed a level of steel now and no one can call us soft spurs.

BTW i don't for a second believe this is our style going forward. It really felt like a one off to me but we'll see.

Whilst it was wrong and probably not the right way to play, i have to admit, though, that i loved every minute of it. We were hacking them down all over the place. Walker, Rose, Dier and Lamela put some hard challenges in. Heck even Kane joined in the act. We absolutely refused to be bullied. We showed a level of steel now and no one can call us soft spurs.

BTW i don't for a second believe this is our style going forward. It really felt like a one off to me but we'll see.

Indeed; and some should stop pretending that it wasn't a one-off..

This.

No pushovers? We lost our heads and surrendered a two goal lead against a poor Chelsea side and on another day we would have been down to 9 or 10 men.

Depends which way you look at it I suppose, you may say we can be nasty but other teams will look at us and think we are easy to wind up and can't kill off games.

Spot on, as I said elsewhere there is nothing wrong with aggression but it has to be controlled and what we saw on Monday was not. Now I accept that its a side full kids and they will ( I hope) take a lot from this game and carry it forward. I have no problem with being a hard side and not scared to show it but there is a difference between being a aggressive side and a side full of players who lose the plot ( which is what we did).

As I say I am not judging us as I believe we will learn from this and move on.

We were at it from the first minute and managed to go 2 up so I don't think it's a fair reflection of the game to say we threw the lead away because we lost our heads.

Indeed, it was more tactical and fatigue reasons imo that we dropped the points.
On the flip side, when have we last carved Chelski open like that with our first two goals at their place?
Perhaps the 3-3 FA Cup game in 2007?

Back