1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Asia market important for Spurs growth

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by spurs' magna carter, 8 Jul 2014.

1. spurs' magna carter

spurs' magna carter Sebastien Bassong

Didn't know where to put this but thought it was an interesting read and found it to be quite a coincidence as I was thinking today about how important the AIA could be to our growth when thinking about the club's future this morning.

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.co...nt-for-spurs-growth.html#sthash.ewSruyaF.dpuf

2. AuroRaman

AuroRaman Milija Aleksic

179 million supporters in other parts of the world :eek: Is that a lie? Or am I down playing our fan base?

3. spurs' magna carter

spurs' magna carter Sebastien Bassong

Nah they forgot to add another zero ;)

179 million :-k hhhmmmm. Still, we do have a very large fanbase after all 50,000 on the season waiting list, regardless as to how it's compiled, is mahooooosive by anyone's standards.

4. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Paul Robinson

Explains why our new kit is designed like a traditional asian blouse.

5. scaramanga

scaramanga Vivian Woodward Staff Member

All teams use the same metric for overseas fans - they pretty much count anyone who has heard of the team and seen one or two matches:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0148ypf

6. Armenia Spur

Armenia Spur Steven Caulker

179million fans outside the UK?!! Sounds a bit generous to me considering the Spurs Facebook page only has 5 million followers and the Twitter page has only 850,000.

7. Jordinho

Jordinho Bill Brown Staff Member

Less than 10% of those will be actual fans and most of those will just be casual, people that like to see us do well, but don't really watch many games.

8. therhinospeaks

therhinospeaks Mark Yeates

3 million fans in UK...ha ha ha ha ha

9. Danners9

Danners9 Luke Young

I can well believe it. I watched Spurs vs Southampton in Hong Kong and the bar was packed, sports is big business in terms of satellite tv and betting revenue as well. English football is a major draw, as is Real Madrid and Barcelona and the Champions League. The rest, as far as I know, is not really worth mentioning. Plenty of Brits in HK, plenty of Europeans in general living and working across the far east.

The deal with AIA is mutually beneficial though, it's not just about getting Spurs noticed in Asia but also about helping AIA expand into new markets. They are an insurance provider based in HK, but as Asian countries like Indonesia and the Philippines develop there is huge potential for the newly-moneyed middle classes to seek insurance on their health and assets - which is where AIA come in. They have the capital and the brand in some countries already and if Spurs are being shown on TV across Asia then AIA gets exposure before they set up shop.

10. GPRD81

GPRD81 Ben Thatcher

Whilst I understand the business argument for looking at untapped potential I wonder when the club will try and convert people from North London to spurs; whenever I walk down tottenham high road on a non match day you only see Man U, arsenal and Chelsea shirts.

11. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Dean Austin

From my experience a lot of Asians follow players, rather than teams. Take an interest in a particular player and then transfer that interest when said player moves on. There was a lot of this with Beckham. Thousands of Asian kids in Yanited tops, then suddenly they were all wearing Real tops.