• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are Belgium players over rated ?

Spurs7891

Jermaine Jenas
Our starting 11 against Everon had 5 English, 4 Belgium, 1 French and 1 Algerian players. We also tried to buy or were linked with 2 more Belgians : Kevin Mirallas and Axel Witsel. It seems like we are too obsessed with Belgium players now. All the 4 Belgium players we have now, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Chadli and Dembele are either inconsistent or have not proved their true worth. All the Belgium players in the EPL seems to have their own problems as well. With us being the team with most Belgium players now, we have the right to ask : are Belgium players being over rated more than they deserved ?

Belgians have often been good individually (right back to the fantastic Enzo Scifo), but never really work as a group.

The Flemish-Walloon divide is usually blamed for that, but perhaps it's more of a mentality thing? They don't have the same resilience as the Germans, or confidence of the Dutch etc?

I was at the Dutch v Iceland game.. and was drinking with a dutch guy night before.. The nationality you want to avoid at the moment is them.. absolute shambles

I think the squad has some excellent players - it's just a shame we have a lot of the average ones.

Vertonghen and Alderweireld aren't good enough to start in central defence for Belgium and play as full-backs - and I can't imagine Chadli and Dembele starting.

If we had Courtois, Kompany, Hazard and Benteke, things would be rather different.

First he has a go at Asians and now he is onto the Belgians. Where will this stop?

Well, atleast we only buy something like 1 Asian in 10 years :D! Compared this to the Belgians, we have 4 now, and were linked with Mirallas, Witsel and Benteke. We could have had 5-7 Belgians in our starting 11 ! Don't remember us having and being linked with as many players from 1 nation as Belgians now.

I think the squad has some excellent players - it's just a shame we have a lot of the average ones.

Vertonghen and Alderweireld aren't good enough to start in central defence for Belgium and play as full-backs - and I can't imagine Chadli and Dembele starting.

If we had Courtois, Kompany, Hazard and Benteke, things would be rather different.

I think only Hazard will improve us greatly as the others are too inconsistent.

Wrong the main reason they play fullback is they do not have any decent ones, and Toby and Jan are better there then the other CB's in the squad.

I think only Hazard will improve us greatly as the others are too inconsistent.

Wrong the main reason they play fullback is they do not have any decent ones, and Toby and Jan are better there then the other CB's in the squad.

Wait, what?

You're both saying that Kompany isn't as good as Vertonghen?

And, Spurs7891, you're saying that Courtois and Benteke wouldn't improve us due to their inconsistency? Benteke has scored 42 goals in 88 League games.

This is madness. Madness.

Last edited:
Wait, what?

You're both saying that Kompany isn't as good as Vertonghen?

And, Spurs7891, you're saying that Courtois and Benteke wouldn't improve us due to their inconsistency? Benteke has scored 42 goals in 88 League games.

This is madness. Madness.

No what I am saying is that Jan is better at FB then Kompany is, maybe I did not explain myself well enough. Belgium do not have any good enough FB's to play, out of the four CB's in their squad Jan and Toby can play both positions so they are picked to play there. The other player alongside Kompany is usually Vermalien and he can not play at FB either.

Back