• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anyone know anything about Vinyl turntables

Bedfordspurs

Martin Peters
I’ve got a home set up thats ok but I’m having a problem with hissing now

Anyone on here know much about turntable set ups?

What do you mean by hissing? Is it an electrical 50hz humming? Has it been like that before, or just suddenly appeared?

Thought this was part and parcel of the pleasure of vinyl....used to drive me mad back in the day.

I’ve got a home set up thats ok but I’m having a problem with hissing now

Anyone on here know much about turntable set ups?
There are a number of things that can cause unwanted noise from a turntable. What kind of setup do you have? What type of cartridge do you use? (moving coil or moving magnet). Does the turntable have built-in RIAA amplifier, or does your receiver/amplifier have it? Some amps can only cope with moving magnet, as the signal from moving coil is too weak.
Does the TT have a separate ground cable?

I once had a bad hissing problem when I ran a turntable designed for active speakers through an amp and passive speakers. The inbuilt amp and the standalone ones were clashing or something. I just returned the turntable and got one better designed for the rest of my setup.

Ok I have the following:
A project elememental SL turntable with a cartridge that apparently will never need changing (their blurb)
Feeding a project phono box II (MM-MC)
Feeding some Ruark MR1 speakers

The hissing is basically a poor quality "fuzz and buzz" whilst playing records. It happens with old vinyl through it brand new heavy weight stuff and it's annoying

Ok I have the following:
A project elememental SL turntable with a cartridge that apparently will never need changing (their blurb)
Feeding a project phono box II (MM-MC)
Feeding some Ruark MR1 speakers

The hissing is basically a poor quality "fuzz and buzz" whilst playing records. It happens with old vinyl through it brand new heavy weight stuff and it's annoying
Have you connected the speakers directly to the phono box? I've never tried a setup like that, but I have tried to connect active speakers directly to a turntable with inbuilt RIAA Amp, and that was not a success. Very distorted sound was the result. Maybe the signal is still too weak for the inbuilt Amp in the speakers? I'm in New territory here, so I might be wrong, but I would try to connect the phono box to a receiver/Amp and see if that makes any difference.

Have you connected the speakers directly to the phono box? I've never tried a setup like that, but I have tried to connect active speakers directly to a turntable with inbuilt RIAA Amp, and that was not a success. Very distorted sound was the result. Maybe the signal is still too weak for the inbuilt Amp in the speakers? I'm in New territory here, so I might be wrong, but I would try to connect the phono box to a receiver/Amp and see if that makes any difference.

So try to connect it to a separate amp and speakers?

The speakers currently are dire yeh connected to the speakers

Back