• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anyone here play a musical instrument?

Not sure if this has been done before, if it has mods please merge or delete or do whatever needs done with this one. But I figured it would be cool to have a thread for the musicians (or those thinking of taking up an instrument) amongst us to talk about anything and everything related to playing a musical instrument or being in bands or whatever. Might be a nice place for folks to promote their own bands/acts as well and gain a few fans.

Anyways, I play Bass Guitar, have done since I was about 14. Been in multiple bands over the years, from metal to rock to a wedding band for a few years. Just had a little girl so I'm not playing live at the moment, but plan to keep myself occupied by throwing a cover or two up on youtube when I can.

I listen to pretty much everything and anything from Justin Timberlake, to my favourite band currently Sylosis (Thrash metal band from reading). Most of my interset growing up and now is in metal though. I can't stand all these metalcore bands that seem to be popping up (woe is me, memphis may fire etc), I prefer things a little more back to the roots of thrash, doom and I'm a big fan of progressive and atmospheric stuff like Cult of Luna, Mastodon etc.

I also play guitar and a bit of drums, but bass is my main instrument.

Any other musicians floating about the forum?

Did play and write for a band called The Lumbagos, but jibbed it off when the singer started doing my head in. Carried on writing, but not played live in nearly a year now. Do miss it, but sort of don't at the same time. Hated having to wait around after sound check to play

I've a couple, a Spector Euro LX 5 string which is set up in Drop C and an ESP F-204 which is in standard. Currently on the look-out/save up for something more traditional like a stingray, Jazz or possibly a Warwick thumb (not strictly traditional I know). Being from Northern Ireland is a massive pain in the **** though due to the lack of decent shops selling basses in here. Forced to order online but can't try before you buy that way.

There's clips of both basses here http://www.youtube.com/jamiemillsbass

Did play and write for a band called The Lumbagos, but jibbed it off when the singer started doing my head in. Carried on writing, but not played live in nearly a year now. Do miss it, but sort of don't at the same time. Hated having to wait around after sound check to play

I'm in a kind of similar situation, I played in a band where it done my head in because I basically done absolutely everything for all of the other members, even to the level of arranging lifts for them to ****ing practice. I left because I moved away to Bristol, but recently moved back. The singer is now torturing me to start the band back up again. Not going to happen.

Would like to get out playing again at some point, but there are more important priorities at the moment.

Back