• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Any Project Managers here?

Jurgen the German

David Ginola
I’ve been a PM for just over 2 years. I got my Prince2 foundation and Practitioner qualification in late 2019. Been doing some research and I’m slightly underpaid relative to experience and given I’ve got qualifications that are transferable in most countries. I didn’t feel it was appropriate to ask for a pay rise last year given the economic climate but my company has been hiring people fairly regularly and consistently for the last 6 months. Am I within my rights to ask for say a 10-20% pay rise to reflect the market rate, given my experience, age (I’m 36) and qualifications? All they can say is ‘No’ but I don’t want to us for say £1-£2k as they no doubt counter with a lower offer. I think it’s better to ask for much more than I expect them to give me. And 20% although perhaps unlikely doesn’t seem completely unreasonable or unheard of.

I’ve been a PM for just over 2 years. I got my Prince2 foundation and Practitioner qualification in late 2019. Been doing some research and I’m slightly underpaid relative to experience and given I’ve got qualifications that are transferable in most countries. I didn’t feel it was appropriate to ask for a pay rise last year given the economic climate but my company has been hiring people fairly regularly and consistently for the last 6 months. Am I within my rights to ask for say a 10-20% pay rise to reflect the market rate, given my experience, age (I’m 36) and qualifications? All they can say is ‘No’ but I don’t want to us for say £1-£2k as they no doubt counter with a lower offer. I think it’s better to ask for much more than I expect them to give me. And 20% although perhaps unlikely doesn’t seem completely unreasonable or unheard of.
Never ask for a raise relative to the market IMO
Never ask for a raise comparing yourself to others
Always ask for raise by highlighting what you bring to the table
Use loyalty, skills, knowledge, delivery success
Anything that’s positive and the6 will find it much harder NOT to give you a rise
I once had review at Tesco and they used BRAG scoring
I said I was a blue a so had exceeded budgets, met all my targets in 6 months and stretched them to achieve more, and hit a blue from my teams review of me. I was told it’s a green as they had already issued a blue to someone else... so i flipped it around and said ok, tell me what else I could do to get a blue.
A week later.... it was a blue so I got a pub extra rise
I didn’t compare my work to anyone else, they had too

I'm currently a PM, although no Prince qualificiations. Personally, a bit similar to @Bedfordspurs comment, they're not gonna pay you more on the basis you have a qualification because it's down to deliverables end of day so would discount that.

Depends on what industry, but are you due a pay review now? if so, then yes worth making noises about it. If you're not, then usually it's hard to get over the line intra-year. In my space, the levels of approvals are mad, and with the juniorisation of roles and offshoring, why pay me more when you can simply get someone in to do it cheaper?

What i've always found is if you want a payrise, you need to move out to another firm to get a signifcant bump.

Back