1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Conte - officially the new coach of THFC

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Daisuk, 2 Nov 2021.

1. Bishop

Bishop Milija Aleksic

Oh well the wrong man for the job I guess then.

2. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Justin Edinburgh

Maybe why he kept on getting into arguments with the boards over signings?

3. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Willie Hall

There are, what, 18 days to go in the window? We have NO idea where certain deals are at. None. I think we have to assume that he is upset because he is a born winner, and however obvious tonight's exit was, he still hates it as much as any of us.

Robbo, JerusalemMan, AdamB and 6 others like this.
  4. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Andy Thompson

Ndombele has a lot to answer for. Arguably lost Poch his job. And now has our hands tied. If we can't play him, there is no way other teams will take a punt on him without us paying for him to play for them. A catch 22.

djp82 and Legohamster like this.
  5. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

We might sign 2/3 you are correct as I said we still might be active, but he wasn’t really overjoyed after the win on Sunday or against Watford either.

Finney Is Back and thfcsteff like this.
  6. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

Have you people never seen Conte in action for his previous clubs? He is a man that wears his heart on his sleeve and never looks far from a breakdown - and that's when things are going well...

Last edited: 12 Jan 2022
    Robbo, MKSpur, thfcsteff and 6 others like this.
  7. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jack L. Jones

Uh it’s actually 10 1/2 weeks please
    And the window has 19 days left (in 34 mins at least)

nerdved likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Milija Aleksic

We CAN at him, the manager doesn't like what he's getting from him so chooses not to.

DubaiSpur likes this.
  9. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

It feels now a bit like where we were with Poch, just prior to the Mason goal against Forest kicking things off.

Bedfordspurs and thfcsteff like this.
  10. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Should he have been overjoyed after the wins against Watford and Morecambe?

Mood on here was that neither of those were particularly good performances. What would it say if our manager was overjoyed about that.

To me this seems like Conte. It seems like a good thing.

thfcsteff likes this.
  11. braineclipse

braineclipse Gary Stevens

Interesting comparison. Can see some similarities. Some weak spots being identified and starting to be discarded. Some players stepping up. Signs of real progress, but still a lot of work to be done.

Could do with a "statement win" type game. Something that makes it obvious to most people that we're on a very good path.

MKSpur and Bedfordspurs like this.
  12. AdamB

AdamB Erik Thorstvedt

Completely, and given the way which Paratici is known to work (i.e. have a lot of deals and talks in progress and advanced....and then at some point push the button and complete them), I still think we'll end up signing 2-3 players this window.

If so, almost irrespective of what positions those players are, they'd make on hell of a difference if Conte has bought into them and if they suit his system. They'd give everyone - Conte, players, fans - a lift.

We'd still need another 4-6 players in the summer window, but it would be a big step in the right direction

13. Bedfordspurs

Or when arsenal battered Chelsea and conte reacted and they went a long winning run
    The difference of course is we have that run already in the league …. Which scares me for Sunday because no spurs manager stays unbeaten this long this early in the league

MKSpur and harr1984 like this.
  14. harr1984

harr1984 Pedro Mendes

Plus Conte won once out of eight games against Arsenal….

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  15. Bedfordspurs

That changes Sunday
    Although how has he played then that many times in only 2 seasons at Chelsea is mental
    He did lose 4 I’ve seen

harr1984 likes this.
  16. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I don't know, both Mourinho and Santo had statement wins, but we were clearly going down the wrong path. I would rather green shoots, which just keep steadily growing. As long as we have a sense of purpose and feeling of direction of travel, that will do for this season (after what we've endured)

glasgowspur and Bedfordspurs like this.
  17. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

IMO we eventually need….

Lloris. New GK. (Gollini can go)
    New RWB. Royale. (Doherty can go)
    Romero. Sanchez. (Tanganga can go)
    Dier. New CB. (Rodon can go)
    New LCB. Davies
    Sessegnon. Regulion
    New CM. Skipp. (Hojbjerg can go)
    New CM. Winks. (Ndombele & Lo Celso can go)
    New RWF. Moura. (Bergwijn can go)
    Son. New LWF. (Dele can go)
    Kane. New CF

On top of that there can be some young/homegrown players in the squad like Gill, Sarr, Clarke, White and Austin but I think when playing they should be coming in and playing with the actual first choice team with only one or two changes and not a complete second 11 type team.

I have bolded the positions that I think we must fill this month if we want to finish in a league position that brings European football next season.

That is 9 players for the squad, which realistically is 3 transfer windows (especially for us, might even be 4 for us).

Assuming we have little money (which seems to be the case) then my choices would be:

GK. Onana or Johnstone (both available for £0 this summer)
    New RWB: Corona (£0) or Nandez (£15m)
    New CB: Bremer (£30m)
    New LCB: Romagnoli (£0)
    New CM1: Brozovic (£0)
    New CM2: Kessie (£0)
    New RWF: De Ketelaere (£30m)
    New LWF: Lindgard (£0)
    New CF: Brereton (£10m tribuneral fee) or Alvarez (£18m) Vlahovic is the dream but would be £60m and I don’t think we’ll have the money or the pull for him).

Wage bill probably hikes up by a net amount of about £25m if bringing that lot in and selling the no longer wanted players (I think we’ll have loan out Ndombele). If there is one club in the PL that can support a bigger wage bill it is us.

if we actually have a reasonably large transfer budget then we could take a better player than Romagnoli but he would be a good bosman signing as he plays on the left of a three, passes the ball well and is a natural leader.

I think that would give us a squad with a very good chance of CL qualification along with enough depth to be able to win a Cup.

The key with the defensive signings is that they must be comfortable on the ball and good progressive passers. The key with the CMs is that they must be hard working but also press resistant.

18. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Put Skipp straight back in that first 11 Finney! Otherwise good post.

I'm maybe concerned with Romagnoli's lack of pace, especially as we don't have that anywhere else across the back.

Gil over Lindgard too

MKSpur, djp82 and Bedfordspurs like this.
  19. Bedfordspurs

I think the key for us still is….
    Shifting the brick
    There are so many players that we need to leave, and for those players theh need to leave for the sake of their careers…. But I just don’t see buyers unless those players adjust their own aspirations on the basis of how they have performed here
    And the money we wound get form those players would actually be sufficient IMO to significantly improve the side with the right kind of conte players
    But again, back in reality, who is really gonna want to pay money for Tanguy, or Lo Celso, or Doherty or Clarke, or Bergwein
    If we can get £70m for that bunch I think it would be good business
    But I’m not sure if that’s achievable
    That would be something around £20m for Bergwein whose stock is highest of the group and we have a suitor
    £20m for Lo Celso which I think you could get from Italy or Spain
    £15m for Tanguy if were lucky
    £10m for Doherty which I think is possible
    £5m for Clarke
    That’s me simplifying things
    But that would allow is the money do do the deals you mention above and improve us whilst helping those players were selling get on with their careers

20. StephenH

StephenH David Ginola

this
    And it’s a recurring nightmare