• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I am a Poch fan, but didn’t believe in bringing him back - not yet anyway. I am behind Conte now with the reservations I outlined in previous posts. Also I do wish he hadnt managed Chelsea previously. The suits he wears reminds me of him running up the touch line and diving into Chelsea fans which used to irritate me. Mind you I was one of those who really liked Jose until he went full idiot.

I think the way he burned Chelsea and vice versa is only a good thing for us, as in he may feel like he has to get a few over them.

I liked what I heard from him in the presser, wanting to stay for a long time... but let's see.

Conte brings hope to my Spurs football world. It’s been missing for some years.
I’m though under no illusions it will take time’ COYS

Has not been any since just before champs league final. Start to flog some of the dross and bring through a youth player a year and we are good.

Yeah he seems like the perfect coach. Passionate when it matters, calm and logical otherwise. What happened with him at Chelsea? Why did he leave?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Yeah he seems like the perfect coach. Passionate when it matters, calm and logical otherwise. What happened with him at Chelsea? Why did he leave?

Dunno what happened there but he seemed to lose interest very quickly after the first season. Picked a fight with Costa (not difficult) and apparently in conflict with the hierarchy re not signing the players he wanted.
Maybe he just didn’t like the stench of the place and who could blame him.

I much prefer this one over the other one you mentioned. However, it still has crucial weaknesses that need to be addressed - Dier, an RCB playing on the left of the defense. And that central midfield, without a real deep distributor or defensively disciplined player.

The first is simple enough - given we're playing three center-backs, some of the playmaking will have to be done by one or more of them. Romero seems like a carrier more than a distributor. Tanganga likewise. We need a playmaking center-back in there, who sees the tactical picture on the field and also has the authority and stature to make those passes and command the back line.

Dier fails miserably at just about every one of those, plus as a right-footed player, one flank is basically shut off from passes from deep, since his preference will instinctively be to pass out with his stronger foot as opposed to down the left-hand side.

So, biggest weakness that will have to be addressed in the market. There are players on the market *juuust* within our reach this winter (Romagnoli most prominent among them) - but Dier isn't the answer. On the left, anyway. If he switches over to the right-hand side in place of Tanganga, maybe, but then you'd need a left-footed left center back who is also comfortable drifting out wide, which is a staple of Conte's past sides. So not Romagnoli. who is a bit immobile.

The other is a deep distributor. Every single one of Conte's sides from Juve onwards have had this player - Pirlo at Juve, Daniele De Rossi for Italy, Matic at Chelsea, Brozovic at Inter.

Hojbjerg is *not* that player - he's actually very similar to how Conte apparently was as a player, which is a passionate but limited destroyer. But that needs to be in place, and none of our stable fit the mold. Ndombele is too defensively weak to be that player, and also too tactically indisciplined - possibly unfit as well. Lo Celso actually played that role for PSG for a while, but he's certainly not that player today. Winks....yeah.

The solution is, again, on the market. Brozovic is out of contract in 2022. We should be out there in Milan, negotiating for him *right now* - before he signs a new contract out there or someone else bids for him.

There are more players for this role out there compared to LCB that we could approach in the summer. But the key here is that players Conte has already worked with know his system and will not need as much instruction - the absolutely key is to reduce the amount of time Conte has to spend yelling at the useless bunch we have now.

The fact is, he's an extremely emotional, extremely committed man who absolutely detests losing, and detests errors. He once remarked that he had 24 hours in the day, and allocated 5 to sleep, 3 to his family, and 16 for football. And in that commitment is embedded a philsophy which absolutely drills individual player agency out of players, in favour of a regimented system where everyone has a role to play and knows what everyone else is doing and will be doing at any given time in the game.

There are countless stories from his early days at Siena onwards from everyone from Pirlo to his various chairmen about how much he detests distractions, detests players making errors, detests absent-mindedness or a lack of single-minded focus on constant improvement. The highlight is when, after already winning the title at Juve with games in hand, Buffon and Beppe Marotta, the DoF, interrupted one of the tactical analysis sessions for one of the dead-rubber games to ask if they could take five minutes to discuss winning bonuses for the season behind them.

Conte exploded. He literally wrested Marotta out of the room and then stripped the paint off the walls with how much he yelled at Buffon, accusing him of not caring about winning and saying he'd make the other 'dimwits' in the squad complacent because of it.

That's how he is. Nothing left to chance. No errors.

And the longer he is exposed to our lot ,who are by turns incompetent, useless, cheap, bargain-bin, poorly led and poorly-motivated - the more his emotions will get the better of him. I am legitimately concerned that he will just quit at one point if forced to work with this lot alone through January.

Thus, we need to be buying players he already knows. Both to address the gaps in your lineup, and to give him players he's worked with before so, quite frankly, he doesn't blow a gasket trying to coach the incompetence out of the lot we have now.
Tldr; we've broken everything so far. Let's see if this lot can break Conte before January .

When he spoke about how the club has built a fantastic structure off the pitch it was interesting he added “maybe too much”. Maybe the cosseted surroundings have taken some of the edge off our players.
I missed that, hmm that is interesting. He definately seems like a coach that would stick the players in a Gulag if he could or was it just a reference to lack of investment in the squad?

Nuno - We go to war today, who is willing to fight with me?
Team - Nah you're OK mate

Conte - We go to war today, who is willing to put their balls on the line?
Team - Pass the knife boss, my scrotum needs to bleed.

He did. But he didn’t have the aura about him that Conte does. When Conte talks you sit up and listen. Nuno spoke well but not with the same conviction….
He has that evil genius aura. Like you know he is in charge; you know he's got your back if you're on side, but he'll feed you to the sharks if you try and fudge him around; that he knows EXACTLY what he's doing, and it's going to right.
Exactly the kind of person you want to go to battle alongside, but not cross.

Nuno - We go to war today, who is willing to fight with me?
Team - Nah you're OK mate

Conte - We go to war today, who is willing to put their balls on the line?
Team - Pass the knife boss, my scrotum needs to bleed.
I don't even think it's a question from Conte.
It's "we go to war today. We all put out balls on the line today." If you don't, that the choice you make - you won't be around to see the other battles.
Like Mourinho was in his first 10-15 years.

Back