1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Conte - officially the new coach of THFC

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Daisuk, 2 Nov 2021.

1. fernadez

fernadez Kasey Keller

From what I've read, it seems the main issue is the preparation that he puts into games. The turnaround between Sat and Wed seems to not give him enough time to drill the team. Conversely when down to one game a week his team's seem to perform superbly.

2. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

He has (IMO) never had the depth to make the changes he needs to play twice a week
    We have to give him that now
    And more so with 5 subs

3. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Excuse me?? Dis you see the sheer size of his Inter squad and their wage bill (which ironically is potentially crippling them a little now)?
    I listed the CL record and no way can "not having a deep enough squad" be used as an excuse, especially when you se the teams/squads he finished behind.

The best managers are able to implement styles of play that actually thrive when playing multiple games a week (as long as they don't have too many injured of course)

4. Bedfordspurs

Yeah I did
    But there was a lot on there that weren’t very good players
    It’s not a it quantity it’s about the right players in the right roles
    Who in his inter side would cover for lukaku? Who would cover for Brozovic?

5. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

It's a luxury to be able to cover EVERY single player, but the best coaches try their best and adapt.
    Who were these not very good players? The ones from the PL that HE asked the Inter board to spunk money on??
    I'm sorry i don't but that excuse, unless we're also saying Inter won the scudetto "against all odds" as well??

6. Bedfordspurs

In his inter squad or his Chelsea one?

7. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

I was talking about his Inter one...but happy for you to expand this discussion to include Chelsea's (which could take an even worse turn in terms of judgement...)

8. Bedfordspurs

Both squads IMO had a strong 16/17 players
    We had 15/16 last season
    None of his squads had 4 capable wings back for example
    None of his previous squads had depth up front either
    Chelsea had one hunk of burning love like striker. 3 supporting attackers and that was it
    Inter had less
    For conte to do his job he does need almost 20 capable players with little to No drop in performance
    We can get there IMO

9. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

I again refer to the teams that finished ahead of Inter and very much doubt all could be said to have 'stronger' squads than Inter (in anyway you would define that: quality or number of players).
    It's a weak excuse tbh, especially as he got his Inter board to buy LOADS of players, notably several from PL like Eriksen, Ashley Young etc). If none of them were good enough, why did he ask for them then?
    We often give the likes of Poch, Klopp scrutiny for how they do/don't perform in season but never talk about how 'unlucky' they were because of lack of depth in certain areas but seem to for the likes of Conte...very odd..

10. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

11. Bedfordspurs

They won the league so no one finished in front of them
    The players you mentioned he brought, and played and they won the title… I mean it’s why he wanted them
    The issue though is right in on all front means you need a deeper squad
    Look at pools squad last year they used a LOT of players to do what they did

12. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

I have purely been talking about CL performance here. Yes, he won the league, but he stunk the place out in terms of CL performance and there is ZERO excuse for that, especially given the squad size, spend etc
    I'm not saying he/Inter should have won the CL, but they arguably should not have been finishing 3rd the first season and CERTAINLY SHOULD NOT have been finishing bottom in the second season in which he also won the scudetto (go look at the teams in Inter's CL group to see what i mean).

Any given season a manager can do well or badly in CL, but it is a fair talking to wonder why in his years of managing big clubs - and having generally the big budgets he usually has - he has only won ONE CL knockout round and exited the CL at the group stages more times than he advanced...

13. Bedfordspurs

Cup football is tricky and timing and pritoties come into play
    We made the CL final with arguably the worst record of any side .. we then sacked the manager
    It’s a very very rare club that does both
    I agree he should do better
    Not that your going to look for it but it was something I posted about him a few years back when he was linked… but he wins things and that’s a balance

14. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

I indeed saw what you posted. It's abig blot on his record imo, and i don't think the reasons (excuses?) given for why he has such a poor record in CL give any justification tbh.
    Of course, if he bombs out bottom of our CL group behind, say, a team from Cyprus or Denmark but then wins the league i'd accept haha...

15. Bedfordspurs

All he cares about is trophies and I think he picks his battles

16. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

That's can be used to explain prioritising in the latter part of a season but is NOT an excuse for poor Group stage showings tbh, but hey ho..

17. greatwhitenorf

greatwhitenorf Mitchell Thomas

There'll be some urgency to have a decent run in CL this season. We only earned five UEFA club co-efficient points last season and a run at least to the final eight would go some way to offsetting that and keeping our co-efficient numbers up in the top 16. Which helps in setting more favourable schedules in years to come.

Bedfordspurs and glorygloryeze like this.
  18. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Michael Carrick

Why? 3 points at the beginning of the season is worth as much as 3 points at the end.

19. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Michael Carrick

When klopp won the bundesliga with dortmund they got knocked out of the group stages in the europa the first season he won it. The second season he won it they got knocked out in the cl group stages.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  20. glorygloryeze

glorygloryeze Paul Walsh

Not as simple as that and i'm sure you know it.:D
    Look at how Arsenal collapsed late the season just gone when CL qualification was in their hands.

In any case, i don't think you can say a poor CL finish is expected if you expect to win your league. As i keep saying, Conte's poor record in CL campaigns is baffling and not explained away by talking about 'priorities' etc..if that continues to be the case the choice of top jobs will start to dwindle (see Jose for example...)