• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Conte's record in Europe is truly baffling...he's only won one CL knockout tie in his managerial career. When you think of the teams he's been managing in the last decade that is incredibly poor.

Can anyone put their finger as to why even the likes of Pochettino, Allegri (who i think is barely mediocre overall) and Emery seem to fare better in the CL?

Conte's record in Europe is truly baffling...he's only won one CL knockout tie in his managerial career. When you think of the teams he's been managing in the last decade that is incredibly poor.

Can anyone put their finger as to why even the likes of Pochettino, Allegri (who i think is barely mediocre overall) and Emery seem to fare better in the CL?

What are the actual stats?

Didn’t he manage Chelsea and Inter when they were not in the CL, and before that Italy, before that Juve coming back out of Serie B?

How many times has he been in a cl?

3 years he spent at juve, 2 at inter, 2 at chelsea. He got to a europa final with juve. But it's not much time to build teams to both go for the league and cl. How many years did it take fergie at utd? Klopp? Arsene and pep (city)?

What are the actual stats?

Didn’t he manage Chelsea and Inter when they were not in the CL, and before that Italy, before that Juve coming back out of Serie B?

Managed Juve from May 2011 until July 2014, winning 3 straight Serie A titles.
CL Record:
2012-13: reached Quarter finals
2013-14: knocked out in group stage

Managed Italy July 2014 until summer 2016

Managed Chelsea summer 2016 until summer 2018, winning league and FA Cup once each.
CL Record:
2016-17: Chelsea had no European games
2017-18: Eliminated by Barca in round of 16

Managed Inter Milan summer 2019 until summer 2021. Winning Serie title in second season.
CL Record:
2019-20: knocked out at group stage, going into Europa league
2020-21: knocked out at group stage, finishing bottom

Started well, but gone downhill since....

How many times has he been in a cl?

3 years he spent at juve, 2 at inter, 2 at chelsea. He got to a europa final with juve. But it's not much time to build teams to both go for the league and cl. How many years did it take fergie at utd? Klopp? Arsene and pep (city)?

See my reply above to @Baleforce ...started well but gone downhill since..

Managed Juve from May 2011 until July 2014, winning 3 straight Serie A titles.
CL Record:
2012-13: reached Quarter finals
2013-14: knocked out in group stage

Managed Italy July 2014 until summer 2016

Managed Chelsea summer 2016 until summer 2018, winning league and FA Cup once each.
CL Record:
2016-17: Chelsea had no European games
2017-18: Eliminated by Barca in round of 16

Managed Inter Milan summer 2019 until summer 2021. Winning Serie title in second season.
CL Record:
2019-20: knocked out at group stage, going into Europa league
2020-21: knocked out at group stage, finishing bottom

Started well, but gone downhill since....

Chelsea record is probably par.

Would it be too simplistic to say his record with Juve and Inter shows the relative strength of Serie A compared to other countries at those times.

His success at Inter came from a squad with a fair number of PL “failures”.

Chelsea record is probably par.

Would it be too simplistic to say his record with Juve and Inter shows the relative strength of Serie A compared to other countries at those times.

His success at Inter came from a squad with a fair number of PL “failures”.

Serie A: Not sure that's enough of a reason/excuse tbh.

2013-14: Juve finished in a group below Galatasaray; Real Madrid finished top.
2019-20: Inter finished behind Barca and Dortmund
2020-21: Inter finished behind Real Madrid, Monchengladbach AND (a relatively poor by their standards) Shaktar Donestk; For additional reference in this season, Juve, Lazio and Atalanta got through their groups...

Serie A: Not sure that's enough of a reason/excuse tbh.

2013-14: Juve finished in a group below Galatasaray; Real Madrid finished top.
2019-20: Inter finished behind Barca and Dortmund
2020-21: Inter finished behind Real Madrid, Monchengladbach AND (a relatively poor by their standards) Shaktar Donestk; For additional reference in this season, Juve, Lazio and Atalanta got through their groups...

The beginning of the season most of us didn't think we'd be in the cl. So worrying about how far we get in it is a bit insane imo. We'll get as far as we get. Just enjoy being back in it.

The beginning of the season most of us didn't think we'd be in the cl. So worrying about how far we get in it is a bit insane imo. We'll get as far as we get. Just enjoy being back in it.

It's end of season; no football on and it's worth a discussion (not worrying as you put it)

A bit odd, but it seems Conte's main focus is the league wherever he is. I'm not too worried about it.

I don't think it's by design...i honestly think the teams he builds often end up with titles almost as a comfort/compensation when they don't do well in Europe. His teams usually have one of the top budgets in said league, but strangely in the CL that doesn't translate...i'm very intrigued as to why that is and i styill can't work it out as he is more much attacking an Italian/Italian-style coach than, say, Allegri

Last edited:
This from The Sportsman is interesting.

For their encounters against Real, Conte had switched to a 4-3-3 and, unsurprisingly, Juve produced their best football of the season. Real, never a team to implement a reactive strategy, left gaps defensively that undoubtedly played into Conte’s hands, and yet despite only picking up a point from both games, it gave him another tactical alternative.

-I think we saw evidence of that this season v Liverpool in particular.

But the alternative was put in a drawer and never used again. He reverted to type for the remainder of the season. Conte’s 3-5-2 was rigid and lacked fluidity, with wing-backs Stephan Lichtsteiner and Kwadawo Asamoah performing the same rehearsed instructions time and again; Andrea Pirlo, Arturo Vidal and Paul Pogba tried to operate in overcrowded midfield areas as lesser-quality teams became difficult to break down.

Nevermore was this crystallized than in the semi-final of that season’s Europa League. Having lost the first leg 2-1 against Benfica at the Stadium of Light, the return required Juventus to score a single goal to make the final – to be played at the Juventus Stadium.

They laid siege to Benfica’s goal for 90 minutes and failed to create anything meaningful, snatching at half chances as Benfica held on. The lack of invention, of spontaneity, in his system was never more evident. The league meanwhile was a procession, making history by winning the league in triple digits.

-And evidence of this v Burnley and Watford away the latter which I thought we were lucky to come away with 3 points.

Conte, whilst able to get his teams to grind out results in a league season, has been accused of lacking the ingenuity to change the outcome of a game mid-course, an ingredient so integral in cup competitions. Certainly that was the case during his time with Juventus, where he would make substitutions too late in games for them to have any real effect. What exacerbated Conte’s European-allergic reputation was his successor Max Allegri taking what was ostensibly the same side to within 90 minutes of a treble the following season.

-This refusal to change formation got quite a few on here frustrated me included, hopefully It's a good sign that we seem to be looking at bringing in players that will give Conte different options.

This from The Sportsman is interesting.

For their encounters against Real, Conte had switched to a 4-3-3 and, unsurprisingly, Juve produced their best football of the season. Real, never a team to implement a reactive strategy, left gaps defensively that undoubtedly played into Conte’s hands, and yet despite only picking up a point from both games, it gave him another tactical alternative.

-I think we saw evidence of that this season v Liverpool in particular.

But the alternative was put in a drawer and never used again. He reverted to type for the remainder of the season. Conte’s 3-5-2 was rigid and lacked fluidity, with wing-backs Stephan Lichtsteiner and Kwadawo Asamoah performing the same rehearsed instructions time and again; Andrea Pirlo, Arturo Vidal and Paul Pogba tried to operate in overcrowded midfield areas as lesser-quality teams became difficult to break down.

Nevermore was this crystallized than in the semi-final of that season’s Europa League. Having lost the first leg 2-1 against Benfica at the Stadium of Light, the return required Juventus to score a single goal to make the final – to be played at the Juventus Stadium.

They laid siege to Benfica’s goal for 90 minutes and failed to create anything meaningful, snatching at half chances as Benfica held on. The lack of invention, of spontaneity, in his system was never more evident. The league meanwhile was a procession, making history by winning the league in triple digits.

-And evidence of this v Burnley and Watford away the latter which I thought we were lucky to come away with 3 points.

Conte, whilst able to get his teams to grind out results in a league season, has been accused of lacking the ingenuity to change the outcome of a game mid-course, an ingredient so integral in cup competitions. Certainly that was the case during his time with Juventus, where he would make substitutions too late in games for them to have any real effect. What exacerbated Conte’s European-allergic reputation was his successor Max Allegri taking what was ostensibly the same side to within 90 minutes of a treble the following season.

-This refusal to change formation got quite a few on here frustrated me included, hopefully It's a good sign that we seem to be looking at bringing in players that will give Conte different options.

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
The trouble with your last point about different options: he would have probably had more options than anything we've ever had at those big Italian clubs....

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
The trouble with your last point about different options: he would have probably had more options than anything we've ever had at those big Italian clubs....
I guess so, I've no idea what Juve's squad was like but yes he had a lot of options at Inter. We'll see but Eriksen on a free really is a no brainer and if Spence is coming too we're off to a great start with barely a dent in the transfer budget.

I'll be honest: if Conte wins us a league tile but finished bottom of our group behind, say, FC Copenhagen, i'd care not a jot.

His CL record is a blot on his CV and i think (hope) that will add an edge of motivation for him to prove himself better than the likes of Pochettino, Emery etc.
Of course, winning the league with Spurs will put him on the level of Maradonna in terms of impact...

Every system has its weak points. Conte needs quality CBs to help build up and get involved in attack when the opposition stay deep and aggressively defensive. The speed of world's fastest wingers are negated when the defences are packed in the box outnumbering attackers. .

We need more like Romero who functions like auxiliary DM so midfield can get higher and with the vision and ability to launch attacks from the back. Otherwise the CBs become the underutilized resource on the pitch while we are outnumbered in the oppositions half.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

I'll be honest: if Conte wins us a league tile but finished bottom of our group behind, say, FC Copenhagen, i'd care not a jot.

His CL record is a blot on his CV and i think (hope) that will add an edge of motivation for him to prove himself better than the likes of Pochettino, Emery etc.
Of course, winning the league with Spurs will put him on the level of Maradonna in terms of impact...

If he doesn't win the league?

Back