• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anthony Martial

can you explain to me how Grealish and Martial are the same role? Grealish is a Center Midfielder ( only 3 games a AMC from the stats I see last year) and Martial is an inside forward from the left.
Some are adamant hes not a CM, but every time Ive seen him play hes definitely there....

Some are adamant hes not a CM, but every time Ive seen him play hes definitely there....

That's because he is playing in a Bruce team, anything goes, he can probably roam about wherever he wants. But for Poch? In the PL? Centre mid? Not a chance imo

how much did you watch of him last year?

I did not watch him last season but all reports I read is he is now a deep lying Attacking midfielder https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...ews/aston-villa-wembley-jack-grealish-9334963

Martial is a Striker / Inside Forward (from the left) who has pace - one of the main reasons he wants out of Man U is they now have 3 LWF and he cant play on the right. The are not going for the same role.
A good batch of games, I’d guess 6-8. He always picks the ball up deep and is so direct in his dribbling. You always anticipate something is going to happen when he’s on the ball. It would be good to have someone creative deeper in the central areas if Eriksen isn’t going to be that player....

That's because he is playing in a Bruce team, anything goes, he can probably roam about wherever he wants. But for Poch? In the PL? Centre mid? Not a chance imo
I don’t see why you say no chance when we’ve been crying out for more creativity in central midfield areas against a lot of teams who defend deep. Could easily have one DM and Grealish next to him....

I don’t see why you say no chance when we’ve been crying out for more creativity in central midfield areas against a lot of teams who defend deep. Could easily have one DM and Grealish next to him....

I agree about needing more creativity in cm areas but Grealish is not the one to play there. Eriksen is the one I would drop back there if we can't find someone better.

I agree about needing more creativity in cm areas but Grealish is not the one to play there. Eriksen is the one I would drop back there if we can't find someone better.
Fair play mate, but I’d say Grealish is more acclimatised to playing there and as Eriksen has started getting more goals now I’d rather he stayed put if we sign someone who can fill that role (fair enough if you don’t rate Grealish but I think he would do well there for us).

As for Martial, I’m still sceptical Mourinho would let him come to us, but would be a fantastic signing if we could pull it off and I have a feeling based on not a lot he could have a higher ceiling than Son and more consistent....

Grealish was most like Eriksen for us. Not a CM. Yes, maybe gets the ball deep etc, but not a deep player, not safe enough to actually be there.

Instead he had Whelan/Hourahan covering behind him so he could just play between the CM and CF relatively freely.

Fair play mate, but I’d say Grealish is more acclimatised to playing there and as Eriksen has started getting more goals now I’d rather he stayed put if we sign someone who can fill that role (fair enough if you don’t rate Grealish but I think he would do well there for us).

As for Martial, I’m still sceptical Mourinho would let him come to us, but would be a fantastic signing if we could pull it off and I have a feeling based on not a lot he could have a higher ceiling than Son and more consistent....

But will he sell as many shirts globally?

4-1-4-1 is another person's 4-2-3-1, but either way Hourihane was the #8 and Grealish the #10

Looking at the heatmaps would suggest he likes to drop deep and get on the ball even if he is used as an AM, personally ive got better things to do than watch Aston Villa games so am just going by the data tbf and i haven't seen anything to back up your idea that he plays the same role as Martial, which is what kicked this Grealish talk off in here

Looking at the heatmaps would suggest he likes to drop deep and get on the ball even if he is used as an AM, personally ive got better things to do than watch Aston Villa games so am just going by the data tbf and i haven't seen anything to back up your idea that he plays the same role as Martial, which is what kicked this Grealish talk off in here

An AM is an AM in a modern system. You don't really have left wingers, right wingers and second strikers anymore - none of Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lamela or Moura fit those descriptions

Even Keane and vdV used to drop deep into midfield for the ball, but you'd never call them CMs

No more wide forwards or wingers anymore, got it - thanks for the update that must have passed me by

Press reporting Utd Price Martial at £70 - £75 million. Coincidentally, same price we put on Toby... :rolleyes:

Back