• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

In a world of £12m Shelveys and £25m Berahinos, Townsend is worth a lot more than we got for him.

I hope we let him go cheaply as a benevolent reward for his long service.

Not so sure about that. I actually think the Shelvey deal was a perfect comparison for Andros. Under 25, fringe England player who has fallen back down to earth a bit. I like both those signings for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and while neither will get them in the Top 6, I think they can both be solid contributors for a Top 10-ish team.

Best of luck, Andros! You were my favorite youngster at one point (back in 2011 or whenever it was). Score an own goal or two the next time you meet us, for your father! ;)

Not so sure about that. I actually think the Shelvey deal was a perfect comparison for Andros. Under 25, fringe England player who has fallen back down to earth a bit. I like both those signings for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and while neither will get them in the Top 6, I think they can both be solid contributors for a Top 10-ish team.
Spot on

In a world of £12m Shelveys and £25m Berahinos, Townsend is worth a lot more than we got for him.

I hope we let him go cheaply as a benevolent reward for his long service.

A direct comparison like that isn't super useful.

Big difference between the selling club wanting to sell a player (and it being obvious) and the selling club not wanting to sell a player. WBA were determined to keep Berahino, perhaps foolishly so, but they were determined. We had already put Townsend in the U21 squad and he was barely even featuring on the bench for us and even in cup competitions he wasn't getting any game time for the first team.

Us being happy to sell and not seeing him as a first team player at this point massively influences his transfer fee. If a bigger club had come in for Townsend desperate to sign him back when he was getting regular starts it would have been a different story.

Whatever his faults as a footballer he clearly loves Spurs

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/story/...ing-andros-townsend-has-regrets-on-spurs-exit

"It was emotional and sad to leave a club I have been at for the majority of my life," Townsend is quoted as saying.

"Growing up a Spurs fans and being at the club since the age of eight, I obviously planned to spend most of my career at Spurs.

He tweeted:
Not many people can say they've played 100 games for the club they grew up supporting Forever grateful @SpursOfficial

Whatever his faults as a footballer he clearly loves Spurs

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/story/...ing-andros-townsend-has-regrets-on-spurs-exit

"It was emotional and sad to leave a club I have been at for the majority of my life," Townsend is quoted as saying.

"Growing up a Spurs fans and being at the club since the age of eight, I obviously planned to spend most of my career at Spurs.

He tweeted:
Not many people can say they've played 100 games for the club they grew up supporting Forever grateful @SpursOfficial

Well said.

We all grew up wanting to play for Spurs
He did and I'm envious of that

Good luck for the rest of his career

Good lad Townsend, I'm sure we'd all love a team full of genuine Spurs fans like him and Livermore to be successful for us - sadly it was never meant to be for them.

Hope it doesn't put too much of a cloud over him and he can quickly settle and start performing for Saudi Sportswashing Machine - would be happy to see him prove me wrong for not really rating him

Listening to him on TS right now in an interview and what he just said about Poch was very classy. They were obviously trying to bait him about Poch and he just said (paraphrasing) "He played me in many important games last season and on a personal level we got on great. On a professional level, he has brought in players who he feels are better suited to play for spurs in my position and I respect and have to accept that."

Hope it goes well for him.

He's wearing 25 because of Lennon as well. :p

Townsend’s ostracism under Pochettino began shortly after he had rowed, publicly, with the club’s fitness coach, but the winger denied that was the reason he was dumped.

"The manager has a 25 man squad and can only play 11, and seven for the bench. He has had no problem with me on a personal level. He made his decision professionally, which obviously I do not agree with, but Tottenham are flying high in the Premier League, I can't really argue with him.

“I hold no grudges with the manager. He had a decision to make and at the moment, it is working out best for Spurs.

“There was an incident with the fitness coach, but the next time I saw him, we laughed about it and shook hands and just let it go.

“The club disciplined me and after a week I was training with the first team and on the bench again. I don't think that had any bearing on my exclusion from the first team squad for the last three or four months."

I think he'll really well for the Geordies playing down the left. I always thought he had good potential from that position, and struggled when we forced him onto the RW to cut in (and hit the roof!).

Regular footy in the LW position and he could really take off. Irrelevant for us though, as someone said elsewhere (maybe Twitter), Poch does not play with wingers, so its a non starter for us. Its for the best he and Lennon are gone, so at least they can play now!

Nice to see him leave with some class and dignity. Shame it didn't work out for him, still thought he'd come good given a run of games.

Back