• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Android v.s iOS

They said it's not backed up in the cloud or stored on any of their servers.

Must say the 5C is still bloody expensive for a budget phone.

It have to be stored on your phone though, and I have a feeling they'll find a way if they want the information.

The 5s i understand, it's a premium product that looks and feels like a expensive item, but the 5c is just a complete miss imo. It looks like it's aimed at teens or young people, and it's still to expensive for them. For everyone else, they can probably afford the 5s if they really want it anyway.

Yeah it's only £80 cheaper so most would get the other model I guess as it's not really much more money over the price of a contract. They should have done one around the £300 or so mark if they want to make it really different but then no one would buy the high end one which is where they probably make a massive margin.

I've got an iPhone but I've recently considered switching to Android. Definitely won't be getting a 5S or 5C (seriously what the **** is that?). But then again I might wait for the iPhone 6, anyone know when that's likely to come out?

I've just made the leap from IOS to Android and, as expected, it's somewhere between the fandom each side claims. Some things are better, some are ****, but my tablet is Android so it just makes sense.

I have a question for you Android nerds though:

My iPhone used to double-vibrate for SMS and long vibrate for email - my Android phone double-vibrates for both which means I keep taking my phone out of my pocket only to find it's an email or Facebook crap rather than an SMS.

I've found apps that can change the vibrate pattern based on contact, but is there one that just changes it for everything that isn't an SMS?

I've just made the leap from IOS to Android and, as expected, it's somewhere between the fandom each side claims. Some things are better, some are ****, but my tablet is Android so it just makes sense.

My iPhone used to double-vibrate for SMS and long vibrate for email - my Android phone double-vibrates for both which means I keep taking my phone out of my pocket only to find it's an email or Facebook crap rather than an SMS.

I've found apps that can change the vibrate pattern based on contact, but is there one that just changes it for everything that isn't an SMS?

I found that issue with the HTC One from the move from Blackberry. Blackberry had all these diff colour notifications and amazing customisable vibrates etc. Now the HTC One has a green or a red notification (green for everything apart from dying battery) and a vib or long vib or no vib. Im not sure if its a HTC issue or an Android issue.

I found that issue with the HTC One from the move from Blackberry. Blackberry had all these diff colour notifications and amazing customisable vibrates etc. Now the HTC One has a green or a red notification (green for everything apart from dying battery) and a vib or long vib or no vib. Im not sure if its a HTC issue or an Android issue.

You could always try this app: Play Store

HTC have said they do it that way because of a patent issue. Its the only real thing i miss from my Nexus 4 compared to the HTC One.

What do you mean by the patent issue? or rather - what do they mean by it? Most phones have various notifications and the ability to change the notification light. Its such a simple yet effective thing. I miss it greatly.

What do you mean by the patent issue? or rather - what do they mean by it? Most phones have various notifications and the ability to change the notification light. Its such a simple yet effective thing. I miss it greatly.

Various companies have patented parts of phone design. So if Blackberry, for example, have a patent on using multi-colour LED notifications then HTC would have to pay them to use the same feature. Of course there's loads of different ways of implementing a similar feature so lots of companies can do it in their own way (although sometimes a company has such a vague, far reaching patent that it stops everyone doing something similar - see MS vs Motorola and push notifications, or Apple vs Samsung for everything). If HTC have a patent on using a 3-LED notification from their days making windows phones 10 years ago then they can carry on implementing that for free, but it wouldn't be worth the legal wrangle to try and get multi-colours in there. It's stupid but a lot of handset makers don't include any LED's at all so it's something at least.

The whole patent system is a mess for phone design really but that's nothing new.

Various companies have patented parts of phone design. So if Blackberry, for example, have a patent on using multi-colour LED notifications then HTC would have to pay them to use the same feature. Of course there's loads of different ways of implementing a similar feature so lots of companies can do it in their own way (although sometimes a company has such a vague, far reaching patent that it stops everyone doing something similar - see MS vs Motorola and push notifications, or Apple vs Samsung for everything). If HTC have a patent on using a 3-LED notification from their days making windows phones 10 years ago then they can carry on implementing that for free, but it wouldn't be worth the legal wrangle to try and get multi-colours in there. It's stupid but a lot of handset makers don't include any LED's at all so it's something at least.

The whole patent system is a mess for phone design really but that's nothing new.

Ahh I see mate. I meant that other phones had them too - im assuming theyre paying Blackberry for using it.

This looks like it will do the opposite, which should fulfill the same requirement? Just set your sms to long, triple or single vibrate?

Or get a pebble - best thing I've ever got for my phones battery - can keep the phone in my pocket, turn off vibrate and just keep an eye out for important messages just by looking at my watch.

Ahh I see mate. I meant that other phones had them too - im assuming theyre paying Blackberry for using it.

Or they have their own patent, depends how far reaching the original one are. Annoying they didn't do what the nexus line did though - that has multi-LED notification capability but you need a third party app to use it properly because the nexus line doesn't have the software patent themselves. It's an absolute mess.

I downloaded Kitkat onto my Google Nexus tablet the other day, it seems to have made it a lot quicker, not sure what other benefits its made though

My Iphone 4s has a cack battery life. My contract has ended and I am now on a rolling contract until the Galaxy s5 comes out around March

Back