1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Android Box

Discussion in 'Randomination' started by LutonSpurs, 16 Nov 2014.

1. r-u-s-x01

r-u-s-x01 Adel Taarabt

Get an amazon fire stick or box, good remote and nice interface for Netflix, BBC and great if you have prime. Apps2fire easiest way for kodi

2. ringo

ringo Eidur Gudjohnsen

Lots of interesting info on this thread.

I am in the process of abandoning full service Sky for joys of internet on TV watching. I would like to be able to access most of what I can watch on full sky at minimum - more if poss. Mainly sports/films.

It seems technology and methods may have changed since this thread was started. And scouring the net there is a lot of conflicting advice and info out there - but I trust the people on these forum (wisely or unwisely).

Hence these questions:

--------------------

1. What are the main choices I have in terms of types of hardware/software route? [e.g Is it essentially FireTV/Firestick vs Android box -- Kodi and/or other software]
    2. Are there any major pros and cons to the various choices?

That's it. Thanks for your help.

3. r-u-s-x

r-u-s-x Young-Pyo Lee

If you are bothered about getting the best pictures (i.e. as good as HD through sky or BT) then I don't think you can match this without getting a dodgy skybox and subs. Any non live you can normally get as near to HD as not notice the difference. if you google the bits I highlighted should point you in the direction

if you don't want to watch live tv and not bothered by spending a few minutes to ensure a good feed (I judge it against no ads)then Kodi with a build is fine, setup a TRAKT account and save your favourite shows so don't need to keep searching. I have had a media PC and now on Amazon BOX, I like the box but there are loads of different android boxes.

I have a few mates who use Plex -there is an activation fee but I am told the interface is good, it has live TV and is a lot better for those who want a "Sky experience"

There is also the option of IPTV on top of Kodi that has access to live tv this will be a subscription but should mean a better feed and better live TV.

I pay a bit for Live SPorts and have had it for about 7 yrs, it means not searching for amongst the crap for links and almost guaranteed a feed. Mine has been closed to new people for years but people seem to like sportsmania

4. ringo

ringo Eidur Gudjohnsen

Thanks for all the info I will check it all out. It sounds as if the internet/broadband is the way to go.

Other than sports I'm not overly fussed about watching live. I'm trying to cut back ridiculous Sky expenditure, as most of the stuff the family watches could be accessed from a variety of sources e.g. box sets. But still want to get films/sport without same level of fees. Even the sport I watch is probably accessible from elsewhere - Nordic skiing, cycling, boxing, football. International level competition in most sports.

5. ringo

ringo Eidur Gudjohnsen

Presumably, though, Kodi is going to be the next think the intellectual property rights enforcers go after?

I notice a lot of "are you using Kodi illegally" articles in local news in recent weeks. Presumably as preliminary skirmishing. Plus a few court cases, presumably to test courts and set precedent. (Although it is inevitably prophylactic rather than a cure.)

How do people "cast" the signal to the TV? I'm near enough to use a cable -but would prefer not to.

6. r-u-s-x01

r-u-s-x01 Adel Taarabt

Yes got to as it's becoming so mainstream, can only be achieved by banning vpn or making a severe punishment. Great digital Wall of Britain, think we already have the strictest rules in Europe?

7. scaramanga

scaramanga Erik Thorstvedt Staff Member

Only downside is the lack of good quality passthrough audio

8. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Niko Kranjcar

Looking at getting the new Nvidia Shield TV. It's a fair bit of cash but looks amazing. Does Netflix in UHD and Prime. Will go nicely with my new Hisense telly. Also it is a decent gaming device and even streams from my gaming pc.

9. scaramanga

And (AFAIK) is one of very few devices to output HD audio tracks via passthrough.

10. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Niko Kranjcar

It does everything very well. A friend has one and I have seen it in action. I'm pretty set on getting it next month.

scaramanga likes this.
  11. Spursman

Spursman Neil Ruddock

https://www.facebook.com/nosubtv/

£90 gets you a nice metal cased box and a 6 month Sportsmania sub. Also plenty of support from me! Own custom build which is easy to use.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  12. Rorschach

Rorschach Erik Thorstvedt

Looks great. I'd love one but I think I'll have to sell one my kids first.

13. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Niko Kranjcar

So I have been trying to explain to my wife why we need it. And have said I will sell my Android box and my Fire stick to fund it. Plan is to sneak it in during bonus month and it won't get noticed. That's the plan.

Kandi1977 likes this.
  14. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

I have a firestick to stream my iptv service through kodi on, it's not too bad on 20mb broadband speed

What differences/improvemements would I have if I bought one of those Nvdida boxes ??

15. LutonSpurs

LutonSpurs Niko Kranjcar

Any hard wired box is better than one that needs Wifi. Kodi will work quicker and better. It's just 15 times more expensive though...

16. Rorschach

What is that and why would you need it?

17. scaramanga

If you connect directly into a surround amp, then most android boxes struggle with audio that needs a license (DTS, Dolby Digital, etc).

Most will down sample, some will not play at all without transcoding (loss of quality).

Most of my films are downloads with DTS (or DTS HD) soundtracks and I use Plex as a media server. If I use an android device as a client it forces my server to transcode the film

Sent from my SM-G925F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

18. scaramanga

For the record, I use an i3 PC with integrated graphics and audio as my Plex client, a Virgin V6 box as my tv/netflix client and as fire tv stick as my dodgy footy stream client.

So far it's the only solution that does everything.

Sent from my SM-G925F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

19. Rorschach

I understood that (amazingly). I only use the TV audio output normally though someone gave me a nice surround system a few years back that I just shoved into a box and hid in the attic. Maybe I should dig it out (when I get my own Nvidia Sheild box).

scaramanga likes this.
  20. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Steffen Iversen

Are people still using sportsmania or have you moved on to something else now that their payment service has been a mess for the last month or so?