• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

as I said, you seem as if you were happy with how we played, but that doesnt mean the rest of us were. Plus its not just Spurs fans who wanted to see more goals, more chances, more excitement, plenty of non Spurs fans working in journalism and the media pointed out that Spurs were no longer exciting to watch

But you picked out games where we clearly did create chances and attack, but punctuated it with 'first half of that game, second half of this'. It's saying that the only way you would consider an acceptable match from AVB is if we played the whole game in a perfect way for you. Which just isn't fair. You'd be hard pressed to find any game like that in this league.

there was no need to do it so publicly. How about having a chat with them one on one, trying to build a harmonious relationship. It just showed his inexperience and tetchy nature

Why was there no need? It did nothing but make Ashton in particular look like a macaron. He had been mis-quoted. They attacked him on the basis of those mis-quotes. There's no need to tip-toe around people that have done something so clearly underhanded.

I'm sure I wrote an absolutely massive post that detailed what the system was supposed to be a few weeks ago. As for who the first team would be - we had a huge squad I don't think it's easy to do that. Lloris, Verts, Walker, Rose, Paulinho, Sandro, Soldado would be the first choice picks IMO.

Does the Pardew case not show that they've given a manager who previously looked like playing turgid football and generating poor results the time, and are now reaping the rewards? They are in and around us in the table after taking the hit last season bringing a load of foreigners in at once and now have a good team and very decent squad.

This reminds me - no-one answered me on my post a couple pages back in answer to the 'we've been turgid all season' accusations. Other than Hull at home and the hammerings, it really wasn't as bad as the turgid myth makes out.

So no readily identifiable system, no set formation and no first team. No wonder the players were confused if not even you can explain it!

I will go back and comment on your post on a match by match basis for turgidity.

So no readily identifiable system, no set formation and no first team. No wonder the players were confused if not even you can explain it!

I will go back and comment on your post on a match by match basis for turgidity.

I wrote a massive post explaining the system?

But you picked out games where we clearly did create chances and attack, but punctuated it with 'first half of that game, second half of this'. It's saying that the only way you would consider an acceptable match from AVB is if we played the whole game in a perfect way for you. Which just isn't fair. You'd be hard pressed to find any game like that in this league.

i know what you are saying, but the you only have to look at how many goals we scored and the lack of clear cut chances created to show you that overall we were not playing well whilst achieving the results. Something was inherently wrong in how AVB had set us up from an attacking point of view

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying AVB is flawless in all this.. All managers make mistakes . TS will make them too no doubt and they'll be plenty of voices screaming for his head when his errors prove costly.

But I do think our chairman has been to trigger happy for what the club is , veering from one philosophy to another. I'm hoping should we get tonked a couple of times by the end of January he holds his nerve and sees the season out with TS and gives the man a chance.

Anyway , there's some posters wanting this thread locked as AVB at the club is now history . Its just really about getting it off the chest for those who would rather had seen the manager given at least until the end of the season and those who are now glee full to see the back of him .. So I'm done with it all ..

Timbos blue and white army .. COYS!\o/

Ah at last we find some common ground.....

yes our chairman has questions to answer...but I would rather we did not have to suffer any more tonkings.

Glad you got the AVB stuff off your chest....Please understand I am not full of glee about AVB and whats happened....I called for him to be given time.....I was defending him when others were saying turgid....turgid....turgid (thats my quota for today) I feel desperatley let down by it all.

But yeah lets all crack on \o/ Tims blue and white army;)

Why was there no need? It did nothing but make Ashton in particular look like a macaron. He had been mis-quoted. They attacked him on the basis of those mis-quotes. There's no need to tip-toe around people that have done something so clearly underhanded.

there is only one winner when taking on the press, even if they are in the wrong

there is only one winner when taking on the press, even if they are in the wrong

So everyone should act in deference and smarm to them like the Good Ol' Boy??? Wow.

What a **** attitude to adopt IMO! This was one thing that took AVBs stock right up for me. The media get away with so much because they don't get called out enough

So everyone should act in deference and smarm to them like the Good Ol' Boy??? Wow.

What a **** attitude to adopt IMO! This was one thing that took AVBs stock right up for me. The media get away with so much because they don't get called out enough

no, all i said was that he could have put them straight in private. Plus it wasnt just the mis quote that bothered him, it was how they questioned his record at Porto, sh!t league/easy cups and all that

So for a game to qualify as good football, we have to play well for how long? 90 minutes? 70 minutes?

my comments are in bold

Palace we should have won that game 3-0. They sat back all game on a small pitch and Sigurdsson and Defoe still missed clear one on one opportunities that were easier to score. we hardly created a chance against the whipping boys of the division won by virtue of a fortunate penalty. Palace also had chances to score. Turgidity rating: 6/10

With Arsenal we didn't create much, sure. But we had good possession (to go to theirs and have significantly more possession isn't easy, and is no mean feat, and it's also a fair enough tactic to go to Arsenal and try and keep the ball off of them if you are capable). A 1-0 loss there isn't really a disgrace and not an example to show up a managers 'turgid football'.No disgrace to lose there 0-1 but a disgrace not to even TRY to score when we were losing. T rating 8/10.

Swansea. Poor game by us. Won by another lucky penalty. Hardly created anything apart from long range efforts. T rating 8

Norwich. Played reasonably well against a poor Norwich side who got there tactics all wrong against us and allowed us far too much space. Eriksen shone. T rating:2

Cardiff. Played ok as a counterattacking team. Relied on Paulis injury time winner as we didn't create enough nor finish clinically enough to be well ahead by then. Always palpitations when Cardiff had a set piece. T rating: 5

Chelsea. Good first half and deserved to be 1-0 up at half time. Completely out thought and outplayed in the second half and lucky that Torres got sent off as they were annihilating us by the end. T rating 8

Villa we could have won that 4-0 easily. After a controlled first half, we absolutely ruined them in the second. agreed but should have put the game to bed far earlier. T rating 2

Everton - do you remember this game? Do you remember how edgy their crowd was? Do you remember Everton, managed by Martinez, great football extraordinair, not being able to get the ball off of us for a good hour? Because it happened. Maybe we didn't line up chance after chance, but we certainly played well and we were certainly on the front foot. It's Everton away, one of the best teams in the league this year, undefeated in the league pre-boxing day at home, it's hardly fair to use a 0-0 draw where we did play well as an example of turgid football justifying a manager's removal. just like Chelsea, first half good, second half bad. Everton were as poor as I have seen them in the first half, but really showed us up in the second and should have won it with a penalty. In the end we were scrabbling for a draw. So much for controlling whole games and scoring when we want. We never looked like scoring even when we were on top.T rating 8.

Hull. One of the direst performances on record. How we won with a flukey penalty is a mystery. We were completely outplayed. By Hull ffs. T rating 10.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine - we forced the goalkeeper to make more saves than had been needed in any game in the PL for what was it? 7 years? first half we were crap and deserved to be behind after our normal slow tempo start.We came out fighting in the second half, took the game to them and should have won. Begs the question why we let the whole of the first half go by before trying to up the tempo. T rating 6.

Man U did well to take the lead, stupid pen giveaway by Loris. A decent game by us. T rating 3.

Fulham...I think you're being very unfair here. Paulinho missed an open goal. We had chances in both halves and successfully went toe to toe with a team looking to play with high intensity and get their new manager bounce working. It certainly wasn't turgid from us. turgid it most certainly was. Fulham are playing like relegation fodder and if you think going toe to toe with them is anything to aspire to then we have very different hopes for our team.

Chelsea was a game of two halves, we played extremely well in the first and not so well in the second. Not a disgrace against one of the favourites for the title this year. see above.

Sunderland. A scrappy win against a poor team. T rating 7

I've given you Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool and West Ham. T ratings 10, 10 and 10.

I think you will find that we score high on the turgid-o-meter in the vast majority of games this season. Particularly against the poorer sides at home where we showed hardly a clue how to break them down and as soon as one of them scored against us at home we were as good as dead.

Last edited:

i know what you are saying, but the you only have to look at how many goals we scored and the lack of clear cut chances created to show you that overall we were not playing well whilst achieving the results. Something was inherently wrong in how AVB had set us up from an attacking point of view

Isn't that to be expected when a team is settling in with loads of foreigners and hasn't settled yet? Or do you expect perfect football and good results, already in position to achieve our targets, and with nothing going wrong in the initial settling in period?

Isn't that to be expected when a team is settling in with loads of foreigners and hasn't settled yet? Or do you expect perfect football and good results, already in position to achieve our targets, and with nothing going wrong in the initial settling in period?

What would be expected is some sign of this. Frankly, there was hardly a glimmer.

no, all i said was that he could have put them straight in private. Plus it wasnt just the mis quote that bothered him, it was how they questioned his record at Porto, sh!t league/easy cups and all that

He could have picked up any of the journalists that had a go at him that week, he picked up on Ashton and Samuel because they misquoted him, and used that as the basis for their attack articles. 'The beauty of being Villas-Boas is that it's always someone else's fault.'

The 'Anyone could have had AVB's success at Porto' was one of those too, but I really don't see how the 'there's only one winner when you take on the press' line actually means anything. They laid off him after that, he did the job, and anyone with a brain was laughing at how much of a fool Ashton made himself look.

I think you will find that we score high on the turgid-o-meter in the vast majority of games this season. Particularly against the poorer sides at home where we showed hardly a clue how to break them down and as soon as one of them scored against us at home we were as good as dead.

I was going to go back over each game again, but it's too much work because you've been ridiculously harsh on us in all of those games. 'Palace also had chances to score, we needed a penalty'. 3-0 would have been a very fair score from that game, the fact it wasn't was down to crap finishing because the chances were as clear as anything. Palace offered nothing.

Then down to Sunderland...a scrappy win where it would have been a fair result had we scored 6. Fulham was end to end, that will happen sometime in an away game in the PL. It certainly wasn't a game we sucked the life out of because we were a turgid team.

You've been so harsh on all of our performances and tried to use it to justify the myth that all of our performances were turgid, that we offered absolutely nothing to show we could play good football. Because, if you acknowledge that we did show glimmers, the argument that it could get better under AVB has much more credibility.

Back