• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

One of Sig or Holtby be will surely be available for loan/transfer I'd imagine. Carroll will likely be loaned out. If he gets a PL loan (or Ajax) and performs well I can see him coming back next year and replacing Dembele.
Ade will likely be sold if we receive an acceptable offer.

Good to read some quotes from AVB talking about the fact that we can now try a lot of different tactics. He talks about our win against Man United displaying a lot of counter movement but similarly talks about the need to 'make the game' at home. Which is so pleasing as it was our main issue from last year.

I see that some thinks that Eriksen will go straight into our first 11, but I think we should be patient. Yeah, Vertonghen did adapt very quickly, but he and Eriksen is totally different type of players. The pace of the Dutch league is nothing close to the PL, and Eriksen would need some time to get used to it. I'm not Eriksens biggest fan, but of course I hope he will prove me wrong. But to think he will be a star right away is nothing short of naive. I would guess, if he makes it, he will need two-three months to be a regular starter for us.

And another point: Yes, Lamela played mostly as a RW/RM last season, but I think he could be our no. 10. He's got pace, vision and is strong enough to be the main man.

Last edited:

I am no doubt going to get stick for this but here goes.......

(Up front apologies for any info if not totally spot on...the ole grey matter aint what it used to be)

I know it was our first defeat on Sunday and it was only the third game of the season and the new guys havent gelled yet blahdy blah.....BUT...in all seriousness I beleive unless we are near the top come Xmas I honestly think AVB is in danger of the DL chop.

Remember Juande Ramos? Sold Berba and Keane possibly our best two players at the time and bought in a new Russian starlet (Pav) all in all spending 60 odd million only for it all to go tits up?

They say lighting never strikes twice?.........

Remember Juande Ramos? Sold Berba and Keane possibly our best two players at the time and bought in a new Russian starlet (Pav) all in all spending 60 odd million only for it all to go tits up?

I'm not sure that's good history Phil.

First, Ramos wasn't the one who sold Berbs and Keane, any more than AVB is responsible for the Bale sale. There's no "blame" to attach to Andre in that sense and nobody holds Bale's departure against him at all. It's not a lurking stick to beat Andre with down the line.

Second, comparing Pav to our new signings isn't correct. Pav wasn't a "starlet" in the way Eriksen or Lamela are - he was a known, established player who wasn't coveted by any other teams (unlike several of our new signings). He was 100% a panic buy by Damien Comolli, again in contrast to our new signings who were all planned. Anyone who had seen Pav before he arrived should have known he was a donkey - he was the worst player in that excellent Russian Euros side that included Arshavin. He's one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Spurs shirt and an example of what happens when you don't have a plan or organise your business badly. Again, this is all in contrast to AVB/Baldini/DL's meticulous plans this time.

As for AVB being sacked, it's possible. But in all honesty, if we're 12th at Christmas I would be all on for swallowing hard and leaving AVB there. Hope to GHod he can do a Fergie and get through an early tough patch and end up the man.

An interesting read

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a-better-life-after-gareth-bale-8796050.html

Andre Villas-Boas convinced there’s a better life after Gareth Bale

Portuguese journalist Goncalo Lopes says Spurs boss is aiming for a top-three finish, then the title, after a summer waiting for world record deal to go through

Despite the departure of Gareth Bale and Sunday’s defeat in the north London derby, Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas remains full of confidence.

He knows the world-record sale of the Welshman to Real Madrid will affect the team but it enabled him to buy the players he wanted, knowing £86million was destined for the club’s bank account. AVB hopes this will allow him to continue building the squad he wants at White Hart Lane.

At the start of the summer, chairman Daniel Levy had been happy to keep Bale for one more year after his stellar, 26-goal season but, privately, AVB had come to accept the player’s exit.

The Portuguese knew it would take substantial funds to build his own team for his second full season at the club and, with some of his first choices on board — a few of them players he wanted a year ago — AVB has more confidence in his squad.

Every day, the 35-year-old is drilling the following message into the minds of his players: Bale’s departure will not weaken the team in the long run.

Rather, he believes the opposite is true. AVB knew the presence of Bale alone would not turn Tottenham into a side that would challenge for the title.

More top-quality players were needed to take them to the next level so, to make that happen, AVB was happier to sell one player than lose a number of key members of his squad.

Since the end of last season, AVB knew Bale wanted to leave and that if the club forced him to stay, there was the risk of a bad atmosphere in the dressing room.

Soon after the final game of last season, AVB started to tell friends that he no longer believed he would be able to count on Bale. That was when he started to think about the players Spurs could sign and when he started to design his strategy of a new, post-Bale era.

So, the head coach’s first conversation with Levy after his summer holiday surprised him.

It was made clear to AVB that there was no guarantee Bale would leave as Tottenham were demanding such a high price. AVB understood the situation but worried it would mean a complete rethink, as he feared no club would be prepared to pay £86m.

Luckily for the Spurs boss, it became clear that Real Madrid were prepared to meet Tottenham’s demands and, although the transfer was completed only two days ago, AVB had plenty of time to fine tune his plans.

He knows and agrees that fifth place will not be enough for Tottenham this season. Even last season he was aiming higher — a place in the Champions League, which Spurs missed out on by a single point — and his dream is to finish in the top three, believing it is possible, even without Bale.

According to those close to him, AVB believes it will be difficult to lead Tottenham to the title without the sort of funds available to clubs like Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea. His aim is to fight for a top-three finish and then turn his attention to joining the race for the title in a few seasons. AVB has passed on these thoughts to Levy, who is starting to believe more and more in his coach and in the plans he has.

For his part, AVB is so optimistic about Spurs’ future that he turned down the manager’s job at Paris St Germain despite the huge transfer funds the French club promised to give him. Now his job is to deliver.

Goncalo Lopes writes for Diario De Noticias

Yes, interesting and encouraging read. But without any quotes and relying on the good old "according to those close to him"... It merely restates some transfer facts and rumours of this summer and extrapolates a little bit. Allegedly written by a portuguese though.

There is always that line he said when standing alone at a partly completed training ground giving his first press conference.

"This isn't about restoring my reputation, it is about putting Tottenham back on track with titles."

Whenever we look at Tottenham Hotspur the project we always go back to that press conference at WHL with Levy sat next to Santini, Jol and Arnesen in the summer of 2004.

[video=youtube;HLtRttuQSOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLtRttuQSOI[/video]

That project ended in 2008 and the one that replaced it (Redknapp and Tradition) felt Levy's axe as well. For me the AVB and Baldini project could make it third time lucky.

I must say that my esteem of AVB has fallen a notch this week. He basically repeated his mistakes of last season with a solid but uninspiring midfield. It was patently obvious that the midfield was not creating and that, for all the possession, we were lucky to win the first two matches. So what does he do - repeat his mistake when he saw how effective we were with Siggy and Holtby.

Worse, it was a clear as daylight that Dembele should have come off at half time and either one of those players put on to fill the chasm between midfield and attack. Yet he was caught like a rabbit in headlights making too little changes too late.

I must say that my esteem of AVB has fallen a notch this week. He basically repeated his mistakes of last season with a solid but uninspiring midfield. It was patently obvious that the midfield was not creating and that, for all the possession, we were lucky to win the first two matches. So what does he do - repeat his mistake when he saw how effective we were with Siggy and Holtby.

Worse, it was a clear as daylight that Dembele should have come off at half time and either one of those players put on to fill the chasm between midfield and attack. Yet he was caught like a rabbit in headlights making too little changes too late.

Yet looking at it from the other side, without that midfield trio we would have been overrun in midfield and likely arsenal would have carve out more chances against us.

That Tiblisi side were not exactly the **** were they mate...I will say I'd have liked to have seen Holtby on instead of JD BUT JD scored twice midweek (against same bog standards!) so to pass him over when looking for a goal would basically be saying 'I don't believe in you'...

Goodness grief we were not lucky against Palace or Swansea.

And still we sit respectably in the table at the moment.

Give AVB some time, Falcon. Unlike most I'm fine for the loss to Arsenal with the 2-week break; it forces the players to rethink what they have done wrong/need to do to move forwards. And losing 0-1 at the effeminates isn't such a bad thing - will only spurs us on for the return game; we can be sure the players will be fired up for that one.

And still we sit respectably in the table at the moment.

Give AVB some time, Falcon. Unlike most I'm fine for the loss to Arsenal with the 2-week break; it forces the players to rethink what they have done wrong/need to do to move forwards. And losing 0-1 at the effeminates isn't such a bad thing - will only spurs us on for the return game; we can be sure the players will be fired up for that one.

Plus, it's not like we were completely outplayed and outmatched. **** were better, but not worringly much better. I think we have more in store than them, to be honest. The challenge now is to actually fulfil the potential in our squad.

Besides, an away game against a top four contender is the type of game where every result is a bonus - it's the Palaces and Swanseas you have to beat on a consistent basis. And we have done so far. In what can be another very tight season, losses at home against sides like Aston Villa, can very easily come back to haunt you.

Plus, it's not like we were completely outplayed and outmatched. **** were better, but not worringly much better. I think we have more in store than them, to be honest. The challenge now is to actually fulfil the potential in our squad.

Besides, an away game against a top four contender is the type of game where every result is a bonus - it's the Palaces and Swanseas you have to beat on a consistent basis. And we have done so far. In what can be another very tight season, losses at home against sides like Aston Villa, can very easily come back to haunt you.

Good post. Plus the the game against Scum away was a tight one, even Gooners are admitting that. And the two sides... well they had an 11 which has played together a ton of times playing to a settled, well rehearsed and effective system over 2/3/4 seasons. We had an 11 which has had about two games together prior to the match!

I don't agree with AVB's calls in that game, but whatever. He'll learn, and as we get our new players integrated into the unit we will improve. We'll meet the ****s again at WHL and it'll be a different ball game then.

Plus as you said, what is more important is the war. That was a battle we narrowly lost on Sunday, but if we can get consistency over the season we're in as good a shot for top 4 as they or Liverpool are...

An interesting read

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a-better-life-after-gareth-bale-8796050.html

Andre Villas-Boas convinced there’s a better life after Gareth Bale

Portuguese journalist Goncalo Lopes says Spurs boss is aiming for a top-three finish, then the title, after a summer waiting for world record deal to go through

Despite the departure of Gareth Bale and Sunday’s defeat in the north London derby, Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas remains full of confidence.

He knows the world-record sale of the Welshman to Real Madrid will affect the team but it enabled him to buy the players he wanted, knowing £86million was destined for the club’s bank account. AVB hopes this will allow him to continue building the squad he wants at White Hart Lane.

At the start of the summer, chairman Daniel Levy had been happy to keep Bale for one more year after his stellar, 26-goal season but, privately, AVB had come to accept the player’s exit.

The Portuguese knew it would take substantial funds to build his own team for his second full season at the club and, with some of his first choices on board — a few of them players he wanted a year ago — AVB has more confidence in his squad.

Every day, the 35-year-old is drilling the following message into the minds of his players: Bale’s departure will not weaken the team in the long run.

Rather, he believes the opposite is true. AVB knew the presence of Bale alone would not turn Tottenham into a side that would challenge for the title.

More top-quality players were needed to take them to the next level so, to make that happen, AVB was happier to sell one player than lose a number of key members of his squad.

Since the end of last season, AVB knew Bale wanted to leave and that if the club forced him to stay, there was the risk of a bad atmosphere in the dressing room.

Soon after the final game of last season, AVB started to tell friends that he no longer believed he would be able to count on Bale. That was when he started to think about the players Spurs could sign and when he started to design his strategy of a new, post-Bale era.

So, the head coach’s first conversation with Levy after his summer holiday surprised him.

It was made clear to AVB that there was no guarantee Bale would leave as Tottenham were demanding such a high price. AVB understood the situation but worried it would mean a complete rethink, as he feared no club would be prepared to pay £86m.

Luckily for the Spurs boss, it became clear that Real Madrid were prepared to meet Tottenham’s demands and, although the transfer was completed only two days ago, AVB had plenty of time to fine tune his plans.

He knows and agrees that fifth place will not be enough for Tottenham this season. Even last season he was aiming higher — a place in the Champions League, which Spurs missed out on by a single point — and his dream is to finish in the top three, believing it is possible, even without Bale.

According to those close to him, AVB believes it will be difficult to lead Tottenham to the title without the sort of funds available to clubs like Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea. His aim is to fight for a top-three finish and then turn his attention to joining the race for the title in a few seasons. AVB has passed on these thoughts to Levy, who is starting to believe more and more in his coach and in the plans he has.

For his part, AVB is so optimistic about Spurs’ future that he turned down the manager’s job at Paris St Germain despite the huge transfer funds the French club promised to give him. Now his job is to deliver.

Goncalo Lopes writes for Diario De Noticias

If true, 'a few seasons' indicates that he'll stay for at least a few more years if everything goes well. That's the main nugget of new information I found in that article, and it surprises me considering that we've only given him a three-year contract (which he's already about half-way through) and he plans to retire early to pursue his dream of driving like a madman in the Dakar Rally. Maybe it's true, and if it is I'll be very, very happy, but it does seem distinctly unlikely to me.

Going to **** after 4 games for a team that is still bedding in was not ideal, we weren't outplayed or outclassed and our team will only gel and improve I believe **** played pretty near their optimum.

Back