1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Andre Gomes

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by harr1984, 31 Aug 2017.

1. AdamB

AdamB Cecil Poynton

2. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Perhaps worth noting that Barca have let Arda Turan go, so that has evened up Coutinho coming in in terms of numbers.

3. Sandman

Sandman Sergei Rebrov

Good point. But the article states he has only started 2 games all season. So he might be very interested in getting out before the World Cup. Getting some real action.

A loan with a view to buy sounds like it could work here. Would also make sense why we pulled out of the Barkley signing.

4. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Ian Walker

5. AdamB

AdamB Cecil Poynton

If true, and as I've posted elsewhere about this potential signing, then this would be a bloody brilliant signing!! Would bring more drive and creativity to our midfield....

6. nayimfromthehalfwayline

Good to hear, genuinely dont know the first thing about him!

Though coming through at Barca you expect a certain level of technique/quality...

7. billyiddo

billyiddo Paul Stewart Staff Member

Barca signed him from Valencia and he hasnt made much of an impression since moving there from what i can gather

8. AdamB

AdamB Cecil Poynton

It could all obviously be BS, however I remember him at Valencia before his big move to Barca. Has a great range of passing, can dribble shoot and has energy. Would play in the Dembele role in games we expect to win, especially at home, or alternatively further forward. Career stalled at Barca - needs to re-emerge from the shadows of Messi, Suarez etc. I think this is the montage I found and posted elswhere:

9. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I think he'd play the majority of time in AM. He was AM when he was good at Valencia, and CM when not very good at Barca. I also think the extra physicality of the EPL would steer him more to AM, especially during his first year or so.

But its useful that he can potentially cover both - basically what Sissy was supposed to be doing, but never has

10. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I think he was with Barca first, before being sold with an option to buy back. Unless Im confusing him with someone else which is quite possible...

11. billyiddo

billyiddo Paul Stewart Staff Member

He started in Portugal with Benfica - didnt know myself tbf until i looked him up recently

12. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Chris Perry

I like the way he breaks with direct running looking for a pass. He could partner Dier successfully in midfield imo. Has a nice passing style, likes to feed in balls to attackers a bit like Lamela? He'd fit in well with Eriksen, Son, Lamela, Alli imo.

My reservation is that he is of a similar level and style to the players we have. Maybe that shouldn't be a reservation as we finished 2nd in the PL, and have some amazing talents. But I'm not sure he would take us up a notch. He'd dramatically improve the squad not necessarily the first team. On the other hand knowing Poch, he would expect the most from Gomes in training, and ask him to take a step forward to become a better player; in which case he could become the next big thing.

They are practically impossible for us to get, but we need an Alexi Sanchez, Sane, Mane, maybe Sessegnon type player to complement the trickey technical players we already have. Gomes would improve our depth no doubt, but to take a bigger step forward, we need a different type of direct player to complement imo.

Eriksen has missed almost no games in how many years? Having Gomes should enhance the likes of Eriksen as we'd be well stocked with players who can play that role - Lamela & Son too - and be able to rest the Dane once in a while. So Gomes is more of the same which if he's reasonable price should be a no brainer, but not at the cost of a Sessegnon type player that Poch knows we need.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
  13. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

He's going to get criticised by the 'tards for not being cultured, purely because he's got an awkward gait.

14. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Gomes would presumably be in addition to a game changer (who would replace GKN)

He'd be an upgrade on Sissy as our 5th AM and 5th CM.

SpurMeUp likes this.
  15. Gazza

Gazza Milija Aleksic

Is that what happens ... no seriously

16. SPURSBOY

SPURSBOY Dean Marney

Is this Herclules great buy/addition a 5th choice AM/CM lol

17. Robspur12

Robspur12 Mitchell Thomas

Bet you wouldn't call him that to his face.

18. nayimfromthehalfwayline

I might be thinking of the other one linked from Barca, Suarez? I completely hold my hands up to not being in touch with Spanish football these days.

19. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

He is bigger than me, but if he rucks as cowardly as he plays football...

Robspur12 likes this.
  20. StephenH

StephenH Tom Huddlestone

Spanish football has been uninteresting over the last two or three seasons.
    He looks OK.
    Price?