• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Advice on where to buy in London

Wanstead is lovely but already the property prices have been driven up around that area. Leyton is a good shout as it's connected into town and has pockets of nice areas.

A few friends have bought in Tottenham for the impending gentrification, there was good value there but I think you or someone else mentioned property prices have been pushed up already.

My ex bout a 2-bed flat in Thamesmead last year for £325k I think? At the moment it's a bit of a nightmare to get to and there's not a lot going for it. However, the crossrail will be going right through there soon and there are some nice open spaces where she lives. Her plan is to wait for the transport system to come through and upgrade as the price of the property (hopefully) rises.

I don't have much knowledge of South London property prices but South East seems to be a good area to buy at the moment. Essex seems to be the way a lot of people are buying but again, the market is getting wise to that and prices are being reflected accordingly.

Did you know you can look up the postcode for any property to find out how the locality is graded for crime, health, education and a range of other measures? Based on detailed census data it's known as the Deprivation Index (or Indices of Deprivation) and it's used by the government to allocate extra resources to the most deprived areas.

The index divides the country up into 32,483 small areas, each with a population of between 1000 and 2000.

So depending on how deprived an area is it will be graded between 0001 and 32483, with 0001 being the worst and 32483 the best. The higher the number, the better the location. For example the area at number 32,483 for crime should (in theory at any rate) be the safest place in the country to live whilst the location graded 0001 will be the worst.

http://imd-by-postcode.opendatacommunities.org/imd/2019

I’m probably going to take the plunge and buy a flat soon. Budget will be around 400k. As that buys you basically nothing, I’ve narrowed my search down to the north east.

I’m probably looking at either Wanstead, Leytonstone or Walthamstow and was after tips on which is better? From what I’ve seen I like the look of Wanstead but there are less flats on the market there.

I’ve (wash my mouth out) glanced at the prices in Plaistow and around West Ham, but I’m assuming it’s a pure brickhole based on the fact I could maybe afford a house! Leyton is the roughest end of what I’d fancy, so not sure Plaistow would be what I’m after.

Any advice appreciated !!

£400k will get you a big house and garden in a nice part of town where I live.

1 hour 5 mins for a direct train into St Pancras. :D

I'd look at somewhere on Crossrail that's a bit further out, maybe Woolwich or Abbey Road. It will be a very quick line that's 24 HR's on the weekend. I've read a lot about Barking and Thamesmead as well, not nice areas at the moment but huge investment pouring in where prices will likely go up.

Wanstead was the place to move to a few years ago, think prices have risen now.

I'd personally move somewhere outside with quick trains unless you really need a tube. I'm in Surbiton and the quick trains are 15-20 minutes into Waterloo.

check out the cost differential between tube and overground if relevant though, I have the option of either, but there is quite a difference in daily commute cost, one is rated zone 6 the other zone 9

Did you know you can look up the postcode for any property to find out how the locality is graded for crime, health, education and a range of other measures? Based on detailed census data it's known as the Deprivation Index (or Indices of Deprivation) and it's used by the government to allocate extra resources to the most deprived areas.

The index divides the country up into 32,483 small areas, each with a population of between 1000 and 2000.

So depending on how deprived an area is it will be graded between 0001 and 32483, with 0001 being the worst and 32483 the best. The higher the number, the better the location. For example the area at number 32,483 for crime should (in theory at any rate) be the safest place in the country to live whilst the location graded 0001 will be the worst.

http://imd-by-postcode.opendatacommunities.org/imd/2019

Ta

I am posh

Postcode..............................Where I live...n17 0ap
LSOA..................................South Oxon.....Haringey
Index of Multiple Deprivation Rank....26794..........1966
Income Rank...........................30476..........2342

Back