• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Addicted to the phone

Daisuk

Les Medley
fudging hell. I spend way too much time on this thing. I know the social media apps are the main culprits (Twitter for me), but it's all the other things as well. Everytime I'm just slightly bored, then up it comes.

Don't think I can delete Twitter, to be honest, but any good suggestions on how to calm it down a bit? I've been trying to just put it in a cupboard and it works for a bit, or for like a day or two, then I'm back on it.

The addiction is real.

It's simple - just swap your current phone for one of these beauties:

f14421682ea9147bf100b7e0f14399a6b4f5abb6c8b09f9911d0726fc5a5cf92_3891403.jpg

I’d love to have a device I could take out and about, with no social media apps, no internet browsing, no email, no work communications etc… but I still want real-time access to steaming music and podcasts on the go! (Can’t be arsed to sync things up beforehand, it’s so limiting)

I’d love to have a device I could take out and about, with no social media apps, no internet browsing, no email, no work communications etc… but I still want real-time access to steaming music and podcasts on the go! (Can’t be arsed to sync things up beforehand, it’s so limiting)

Not really, any smartphone can do that, just only install the apps you want and delete everything else

Not really, any smartphone can do that, just only install the apps you want and delete everything else
Never thought of that…Just like I never thought of reinstalling the deleted apps in ten seconds whilst out and about.

If it was that bloody simple, I could go even simpler couldn’t I, and just not open the apps at all!

fudging hell. I spend way too much time on this thing. I know the social media apps are the main culprits (Twitter for me), but it's all the other things as well. Everytime I'm just slightly bored, then up it comes.

Don't think I can delete Twitter, to be honest, but any good suggestions on how to calm it down a bit? I've been trying to just put it in a cupboard and it works for a bit, or for like a day or two, then I'm back on it.

The addiction is real.

Stick it up your botty and get a mate to call it.

I'm fairly similar, but tend to think at least I'm getting really good value out of it :)

That won't work. I could spend hours playing snake.

<geek> I spent most of my A Level maths lessons writing a version of snake that ran on my calculator </geek>

Ooh, Snake, I totally forgot about that. Spent quite a few hours playing it myself.

I actually also wrote my own Snake clone for my Amiga back in the days, before my nerd skills plummeted like top of the table Spurs.

Never thought of that…Just like I never thought of reinstalling the deleted apps in ten seconds whilst out and about.

If it was that bloody simple, I could go even simpler couldn’t I, and just not open the apps at all!

Send me the phone with a list of apps you want, I’ll install them and lock the phone so you can’t add any more, and I’ll only charge you £600 for the privilege [emoji16] and you will have a phone customised to your needs

not sure i'm best placed to advise given my wife is always on at me for how long i spend on the phone.

however, i will 100% hold my hands up and say i was addicted to Twitter. in an old job, i wasn't working too hard, and i used to spend all day on Twitter. at some points i would tweet 100+ a day. In the end, i went cold turkey, deleted it. A few times i've fallen off the wagon, i think twice in 3 years, but quickly remember why i dont like it and deleted it. I'd also get messages saying "oh you got time to tweet but can't whatsapp back" etc.

I've seen friends in the pub (pre-pandemic) just checking Twitter and you can see the addiction. A few things i suggest:

1) take a break from Twitter by removing the app, and set yourserlf a goal of no checking twitter for a week . it's a bit of a challenge, but give yourself a date saying "i'll download again on Sunday" or something. You don't lose your account obviously, just removing the app off the phone. Takes willpower though believe me.

2) the metrics of screentime are on your phone but to be honest, it doesn't help me personally, give it a try and see what you spend on there but dont get too bogged down with it

3) what are your interests? for me its sports, politics, current affairs, so find Podcasts on those (happy to recommend some) and try and consume your information that way for the week. that way, you're still in touch with the goings on of things and discussions, but obviously on a more palatable source than Twitter

good luck, it's not easy, and i do sometimes feel like i miss the odd thing, i still can check twitter via open source pages (i.e. if i go to Twitter.com/spursofficial) but i don't go and check things and i can tell you, i feel much better for it. Twitter is a poisonous place, i really believe it.

Surely being addicted to something is a form of escape from normal life? You just need to find a different escape from normal life you are happier with.

Go into the log on details of whatever app you're addicted to, and change password. But dont look at what you're changing it to, look away and just hit a few random keys so you don't know your new password. Might need to c&p if it needs it twice, then just delete the clipboard. That's you locked out, unable to be tempted to log in and with your life back.

Last edited:
Back