• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

£500 Gaming machine

1060xoz.jpg

In the middle right now.. Having trouble understanding the in case fans. May put up photos later if I cannot work it out. So far only had one other situation where I am thinking WTF how do I do that lol.

Quick question.. Can I put the optical blu ray sata cable into the 6GB connection on the motherboard..there is two.. I have connected to it, but would I be better of putting two hard drives to the two 6GB slots and moving the optical drive (bluray/DVD) to one of the 3GB slots?

GHod I would love to build my own, but the wife will not allow a tower system in the house.

GHod I would love to build my own, but the wife will not allow a tower system in the house.

I have a tower in the cellar (keeps the chill off the wine in the winter!) with long HDMI/USB cables running up through the floorboards in the corner of the living room behind a cupboard. Any chance you can do something like that?

No cellar but could rig something up under the stairs.... Never crossed my mind about long cables. Thanks

155m2wy.jpg

So far.. all that awaits is the graphics card to put into it then tidy the cables at the back. Right now the hardest bit was the CPU cable as the only way looked like right across the motherboard but got it eventually hidden at the top behind the LED fan which I had to move from the back of the case because of the radiator. You may be able to see the CPU connected top left.

The problem I had with the case fans are that they are on a switch which confused me. There was a female and male connector, worked out that the female connector basically means that I can add more case fans to the switch (I think) whilst the other male connector would be connected to the power.

The cooler was simple enough, was worried about the fact that the Ram was in the way but fortunately despite what the picture shows there is clearance between them.

Still not sure I have the RAM in the right slots.. book show from left to right

clear RAM clear RAM

You can download the quick guide manual, and confirm with me on that. Or see below I have uploaded a picture of the RAM page.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G43-GAMING.html#download

I have always thought it to be the other way round

Next I place in the graphics card and power this thing up. gulp!

Once I get the Motherboard features on the screen I will then turn off and tidy the cables at the back.

2i088ls.jpg

Are your slots not colour coded?

To run dual-channel, as you just have two sticks, you can do as the example or you can also use slots 1 & 3.

Heh nice... Thought most were colour coded these days.

Nay bother, your will be fine with the 2/4 config or if you don't like the look then switch to the more usual 1/3 config.

Is there a performance difference between 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. Would it be best to go with what the manual suggests.

No. Both are the correct setup to enable dual channel support for the memory. If you did 1/2 or 3/4 then there would be not dual channel at all, but how that affects performance depends on who and what you believe.

Dual channel allows the controller to access each module, as separate channels, which is meant to allow an increased throughput bandwidth - but as said, how much performance increase is a well debated topic.

In the days of DDR2 there was not much difference in single or dual channel, with DDR3 there may be some differences but if like the old days then not much to write home about.

Ouch.. You have Office too or that is just purely 7 updates?

They changed XP too for updating, reinstalled my laptop the other day and found out it redo's the update inventory totally which maxes out the cpu for 15-20 mins while it sorts out all the updates :( pita totally..

Back