• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

3rd Place or FA Cup?

3rd Place or FA Cup

• Finishing in 3rd Place

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Winning the FA Cup

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
A good example is the fact that no one give a flying f#ck that City won it....less than a year ago

That has more to do with how much money they've spent. Anything they win whilst Shiekh Mansour is there is worthless. Football is currently on hold until him and Abramovich do one.

That has more to do with how much money they've spent. Anything they win whilst Shiekh Mansour is there is worthless. Football is currently on hold until him and Abramovich do one.
Have to agree with this. No-one gives a brick that they're top of the league or that they just broke United's record for most games undefeated at home.

indeed bloody glad i touted it for that 1991 final

if someone had told me 21 years later we wouldn't get to another one since then i'd have thought they were off their rocker

Do you really think so? I'd say that our 1991 cup win is still hugely important to us.

Of course it is, mind you there are some fans who think football only started when the Premership did :frown: The game is about glory and winning trophys or it should be.

Its also about winning the top trophys, and the further up the table we finish, is another step towards cementing ourselves in the elite. I want to consistently challenge for the PL, and CL at some point, and 3rd would be a great finish to push on from.

FA Cup would be great, but do you all realize just how much we will need to fold to finish 4th or below? We are half way there now, and you'd happily let this continue to beat Stevenage and Bolton?

Another way to put it:

Would you take a defeat at Everton and Stoke to beat Stevenage?

Last edited:
Frankly being at the CARLING cup to see us win the Wembley final in '08 was one of the greatest supporting memories of my lifetime, so GHod knows what would happen if we won the FA Cup again (I watched '91 on TV so probably didn't appreciate at the time how seismic it was).

However agreed with the point that finishing 3rd is probably more important to our long-term plans, sad though that is to say.

For me, this is now all about finishing 3rd.
Automatic qualification for the CL and a new high profile manager if Harry goes mean we are likely (a) to keep most if not all of our best players and (b) attract bigger name signings.
The FA Cup is great, and perhaps its because my FA Cup memories go back further than many on here that I'd rather see us establish ourselves in the top 3 of the prem.
4th place and having to qualify into the CL is not somewhere I'd want to be - its a real banana skin and if we were to drop out at that stage it'd be a real blow.
So for me I'd like to finish 3rd and use the FA Cup (incl tonight) to rest players we cannot afford to lose to injury over coming weeks (Bale, Modric, BAE, Parker, Lennon).
Don't underestimate Arse, even after losing last night, they are on a run and are now only 4 points behind - if we lose to Everton and they win at the weekend, I can see our heads going down. To concentrate on the FA Cup at this stage would for me be a mistake. COYS.

There is no reason why we can not strive to finish in the top four AND try and win cups, unfortuatly under Redknapp we have failed to even try to send out a decent side in most of the cup games since he has been here. That is what is wrong and is a sad state of affairs.

no one said anything about concentrating on the cup. we're about 1/3 to be in the semi final with the 2 home draws. just need not to make a mess of it

putting a half strength side tonight won't have any effect on our ability to beat everton unless we tinkle about and it goes to extra time. bolton will probably field a very weak side should we get through. they've got villa 3 days later.

The origional question is being forgotten somewhat. We would ALL like to win a cup and come third or higher.....but its either or (in this scenario)

As for going for both? Thats ideal yes, but history shows that we do better in the league the less cups we are in. To be fair, Redknapp hardly fields weak teams....he uses his squad, like every single manager who has priorities elsewhere, be it top 4, title, or staying up.

The teams he has picked should actually be performing ALOT better than they have.

Tough one. The FA Cup means more to our fans, arguably, than any other set of fans due to our history in the competition. However, nowadays it's all about ?ú?ú?ú?ú which can only really be gained via entry to the CL. Gotta be CL for me as its in the best interests of the club. We all know it too even if we do love the FA Cup.

60.87% of the people that voted have chosen the FA Cup. Personally I voted for the 3rd place because key players like Modric and Bale for instance are more likely to want to stay if we are in the CL as opposed to if we win the FA Cup. Also when it comes to attracting the 2 or 3 key "top top" players in the summer who could help push us into serious title contention they are more likely to want to join us if we are in the CL as opposed to us winning the FA Cup and playing in the Europa Cup.

Take for instance the last time we won a trophy, what happened to the dream partnership up front? Keane joined Liverpool and Berbatov signed for Man Utd, both to play champions league football. I think we would have kept both players if we had qualified for the CL.

Of course the choice between 3rd and the FA Cup means we could in effect finish 4th and win the FA Cup. The problem with this however is that this summer we have both European Championship which means we will have key players coming back late for preseason, and Bale for one will be in the GB team. Possible injury to key players during this period, because that is the type of luck we get as Spurs fans, leaves me convinced that automatic qualification for the group stage is the way to help as progress both financially as a club and in a footballing sense with the calibre of player we could attract

no one said anything about concentrating on the cup. we're about 1/3 to be in the semi final with the 2 home draws. just need not to make a mess of it

putting a half strength side tonight won't have any effect on our ability to beat everton unless we tinkle about and it goes to extra time. bolton will probably field a very weak side should we get through. they've got villa 3 days later.

I think that whoever Bolton face (us or Stevenage, I'm not taking ANYTHING for granted!) I reckon their Premier league survival will take precedent... not to say our priority is any different, as I'm sure 3rd is the priority... but WHOEVER gets through tonight will probably see a weakened Bolton side there for the taking (I fudging bet Stevenage will fancy it at home, so why the fudge can't we??)

NO MERCY... FA CUP AND 3rd... no if's and's or but's!

of course they are not mutually exclusive and being in such a good position at this stage of the season we SHOULD be going all out for both. The question though asks for fans to prioritise. If it was to be a straight choice, then 3rd place and automatic qualification for the CL surely MUST be the priority. To win the FA Cup from here is only 4 games (and two are at home against infinitely inferior opposition)and this should not derail our attempts to get third. Lets go all out in all games from now to the end ot the season. TO DARE IS TO DO.

Back