• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2022 World Cup... gonna ruin the European Season

I loved working at the '86 World Cup in Mexico for just this reason. Only during group stages, but we rented a big-assed American Chevrolet and five of us journalists went whipping about the highways of central Mexico trying to jam in as many games as possible. One of us would leave a bit early, get the car started and in position. Either at, or just before the final whistle, we'd bail from the game and race to the car to beat the crowd.

It'll be a doddle in Doha. Not that I'd remotely dream of going there. Absolute sleaze pit of a tournament.

My favourite world cup that. Would love to hear your stories. My brother had me supporting Spurs before that but Mexico 86 was when I fell in love with the game. Watching Brazil and particularly Careca, wow. They were like people from another planet. Josimar scoring two absolute worldies and he was their reserve right back. Built the romanticism of Brazil and the yellow shirt for me. And Maradona, wow. Just incredible stuff.

Thats why I'm struggling with this world cup. I can't give much of a fudge about it. From a moral perspective, its vile that they have the world cup. Absolutely vile. The human rights abuses, the judgment on people's ways of living. From a football perspective, it also makes me sick. Fifa were blatantly bought. This has jack brick to do with developing football. Its anti everything I fell hopelessly in love with in 1986 when it was just 22 lads displaying silky skills for their national flag. Maybe it's over romanticised in my head because I was 6 years old but it certainly wasnt the cynical, dystopian money generator that the 2022 world cup is and will be.

My favourite world cup that. Would love to hear your stories. My brother had me supporting Spurs before that but Mexico 86 was when I fell in love with the game. Watching Brazil and particularly Careca, wow. They were like people from another planet. Josimar scoring two absolute worldies and he was their reserve right back. Built the romanticism of Brazil and the yellow shirt for me. And Maradona, wow. Just incredible stuff.

Thats why I'm struggling with this world cup. I can't give much of a fudge about it. From a moral perspective, its vile that they have the world cup. Absolutely vile. The human rights abuses, the judgment on people's ways of living. From a football perspective, it also makes me sick. Fifa were blatantly bought. This has jack brick to do with developing football. Its anti everything I fell hopelessly in love with in 1986 when it was just 22 lads displaying silky skills for their national flag. Maybe it's over romanticised in my head because I was 6 years old but it certainly wasnt the cynical, dystopian money generator that the 2022 world cup is and will be.

Spying On The Russians

So, it's been an interesting start to the '86 World Cup for me. After twice visiting Mexico City (great place to visit, btw. My son just returned from there, blown away with the art, architecture, culture and cuisine) to cover the draw and a friendly between Canada and Mexico, I had the lay of the land pretty good.

Got my base of operations for the month in an older, verifiably earthquake-proof hotel on Londres in the Zona Rosa. A good shake happened between the first two visits and one newer hotel was declared unfit for habitation. There were fatalities when air conditioner units fell from the rooms above and struck pedestrians below.

A couple of hours north, my Canada are based in Irapuato. They're in a group with Frawwnce, Hungary and the Soviet Union. My main clients are a monthly football magazine and a football-mad, three-times a week Italian language newspaper in Toronto - where there are over 500,000 Italian-heritage residents.

I'm bouncing back and forth between the placidity of the Canadian camp and the frenzy of the Italian camp in Mexico City. At Canadian media conferences, the 8-10 of us journos from Canada would basically gather around a big breakfast table, enjoy a congenial start to the day and then manager Tony Waiters (Englishman, ex-keeper, really nice guy) would join us at the table and basically shoot the breeze for a while. Fun, friendly and a laughs aplenty. Players available whenever asked for.

The Italian camp couldn't have been more different. A shrieking, hysterical and often violent gathering of emotional, overwrought people constantly pushing and shoving to get the best places. I saw a TV cameraman clobber another with a big metal camera tripod. I knew all the bad words in Italian and refined my delivery of them in those visits.

One morning, not long after Canada had nobly held zee French to a 1-0 defeat, I was chowing down at a Canadian camp breakfast and up sidled one of the most charming men in the Canadian football scene. Smooth, suave, supremely congenial. The David Niven of Canadian soccer. Not only was he a former international and current official with Canada's governing body for football, he was a renowned football TV journalist and also carried multiple credentials to let him pass as a FIFA committee member, broadcaster, print journalist and heaven knows what else.

'Norfy, just the man I'm looking for', he said. 'How'd you like an assignment to shoot some snaps of one of the world's great goalkeepers that I'm interviewing for magazine X?' I thought, yeah, anything that extends the receivables is good with me. I asked when he wanted to do it. 'Today,' he replied. 'As soon as your ready to go?' Wow. Admittedly, I had made plans but thought this was a good opportunity since it might lead to more work once we were back in Canada.

'Yeah, sure,' I replied. 'Who's the 'keeper and where do we go?'

'Rinat Dasayev, the Soviet keeper', he said. 'And he's about 10 minutes drive away. And since you've got a car we can both go together'.

I was mildly thrilled. My first ever World Cup game was Brazil vs the Soviet Union in Sevilla in '82. A credential mixup meant I couldn't get onto the pitch until the second half. Luckily, my photo vest had the right colour to be at the right end. One of my first photos was a great shot of Dasayev diving toward me, full stretch, as the ball whizzed past his outstretched hands as Brazil tied the game en route to a 2-1 win.

rwZKkZ1.jpg

I immediately agreed and we piled into my car and headed off to the Soviet camp. As we drove in, we passed the modest 10-storey hotel where the Soviet team players were staying. On a number of balconies, we could see bright red CCCP football shirts, shorts and socks hanging to dry in the midday heat over the railings above the street. Each player was responsible for doing his own laundry.

At the Soviet camp, we were closely checked for proper credentials and clearance to visit. My colleague had done his homework. I was introduced as his photographer and we were directed in. I had my usual big bag of gear which included some long lenses. The interview was slated to happen after training.

The players were out on the training pitch in rather bland outfits of blank coloured t-shirts and shorts - no names or numbers. We were separated from them by a considerable distance - a running track and broad green space, a chain link fence and more space below the spectator stands in which we were now seated under a hot sun.

'Norfy', my colleague begins, 'Why not take out that big lens and see if you can't get some shots of Dasayev while he's training?'

It was a bit of long way off, but I agreed to try. As I was fitting my 600mm f5.6 Nikon lens, my chum unzips a leather pouch and takes out some paper sheets with the markings for a football pitch on them. He starts marking the sheet with Xs and Os and squiggles, lines and arrows. Suddenly, he asks: 'Can you make out the identities of the back line in front of Dasayev?' I peer through the big lens and start rattling off names of the players I recognized - Chivadze, Morozov.

Then looking around the pitch, I see Oleg Blokhin, Protasov, Rodionov, Aleinov. The names and positions spill out as quickly as I can spot each player. Then I lift my eye from the camera. Glancing left, there's the names I've called out in amongst all the lines and squiggles and arrows. With even more of those markings now. And on more than one sheet of paper.

Then it dawns on me. He's charting the Soviet team training to get an idea of how they might play when they meet Canada. He's using me and my big lens to spy on the Soviets.

'Just keep it cool, Norfy,' he re-assures me, sensing my surprise. 'If anyone comes over here to check on us, we'll see them coming from a long way off. I'll tell you and you just keep focusing on Dasayev. We're just here for an interview.'

But no one did come. No one caught on, or said boo. The interview went off without a hitch, I did a few set up shots of the goalie after the interview - cute pics of him having fun with the Mexican ball boys who helped out at their training sessions. They were published months after the World Cup ended. I made a couple of hundred extra dollars. Canada lost 2-0 to the Soviets, so no idea how the info my colleague learned might have helped.

But there you have it. Without realizing it was happening until it was happening, I ended up spying for Canada on the Soviet Union.

I'm still in the Witness Protection Program.

Last edited:
Spying On The Russians

So, it's been an interesting start to the '86 World Cup for me. After twice visiting Mexico City (great place to visit, btw. My son just returned from there, blown away with the art, architecture, culture and cuisine) to cover the draw and a friendly between Canada and Mexico, I had the lay of the land pretty good.

Got my base of operations for the month in an older, verifiably earthquake-proof hotel on Londres in the Zona Rosa. A good shake happened between the first two visits and one newer hotel was declared unfit for habitation. There were fatalities when air conditioner units fell from the rooms above and struck pedestrians below.

A couple of hours north, my Canada are based in Irapuato. They're in a group with Frawwnce, Hungary and the Soviet Union. My main clients are a monthly football magazine and a football-mad, three-times a week Italian language newspaper in Toronto - where there are over 500,000 Italian-heritage residents.

I'm bouncing back and forth between the placidity of the Canadian camp and the frenzy of the Italian camp in Mexico City. At Canadian media conferences, the 8-10 of us journos from Canada would basically gather around a big breakfast table, enjoy a congenial start to the day and then manager Tony Waiters (Englishman, ex-keeper, really nice guy) would join us at the table and basically shoot the breeze for a while. Fun, friendly and a laughs aplenty. Players available whenever asked for.

The Italian camp couldn't have been more different. A shrieking, hysterical and often violent gathering of emotional, overwrought people constantly pushing and shoving to get the best places. I saw a TV cameraman clobber another with a big metal camera tripod. I knew all the bad words in Italian and refined my delivery of them in those visits.

One morning, not long after Canada had nobly held zee French to a 1-0 defeat, I was chowing down at a Canadian camp breakfast and up sidled one of the most charming men in the Canadian football scene. Smooth, suave, supremely congenial. The David Niven of Canadian soccer. Not only was he a former international and current official with Canada's governing body for football, he was a renowned football TV journalist and also carried multiple credentials to let him pass as a FIFA committee member, broadcaster, print journalist and heaven knows what else.

'Norfy, just the man I'm looking for', he said. 'How'd you like an assignment to shoot some snaps of one of the world's great goalkeepers that I'm interviewing for magazine X?' I thought, yeah, anything that extends the receivables is good with me. I asked when he wanted to do it. 'Today,' he replied. 'As soon as your ready to go?' Wow. Admittedly, I had made plans but thought this was a good opportunity since it might lead to more work once we were back in Canada.

'Yeah, sure,' I replied. 'Who's the 'keeper and where do we go?'

'Rinat Dasayev, the Soviet keeper', he said. 'And he's about 10 minutes drive away. And since you've got a car we can both go together'.

I was mildly thrilled. My first ever World Cup game was Brazil vs the Soviet Union in Sevilla in '82. A credential mixup meant I couldn't get onto the pitch until the second half. Luckily, my photo vest had the right colour to be at the right end. One of my first photos was a great shot of Dasayev diving toward me, full stretch, as the ball whizzed past his outstretched hands as Brazil tied the game en route to a 2-1 win.

I immediately agreed and we piled into my car and headed off to the Soviet camp. As we drove in, we passed the modest 10-storey hotel where the Soviet team players were staying. On a number of balconies, we could see bright red CCCP football shirts, shorts and socks hanging to dry in the midday heat over the railings above the street. Each player was responsible for doing his own laundry.

At the Soviet camp, we were closely checked for proper credentials and clearance to visit. My colleague had done his homework. I was introduced as his photographer and we were directed in. I had my usual big bag of gear which included some long lenses. The interview was slated to happen after training.

The players were out on the training pitch in rather bland outfits of blank coloured t-shirts and shorts - no names or numbers. We were separated from them by a considerable distance - a running track and broad green space, a chain link fence and more space below the spectator stands in which we were now seated under a hot sun.

'Norfy', my colleague begins, 'Why not take out that big lens and see if you can't get some shots of Dasayev while he's training?'

It was a bit of long way off, but I agreed to try. As I was fitting my 600mm f5.6 Nikon lens, my chum unzips a leather pouch and takes out some paper sheets with the markings for a football pitch on them. He starts marking the sheet with Xs and Os and squiggles, lines and arrows. Suddenly, he asks: 'Can you make out the identities of the back line in front of Dasayev?' I peer through the big lens and start rattling off names of the players I recognized - Chivadze, Morozov.

Then looking around the pitch, I see Oleg Blokhin, Protasov, Rodionov, Aleinov. The names and positions spill out as quickly as I can spot each player. Then I lift my eye from the camera. Glancing left, there's the names I've called out in amongst all the lines and squiggles and arrows. With even more of those markings now. And on more than one sheet of paper.

Then it dawns on me. He's charting the Soviet team training to get an idea of how they might play when they meet Canada. He's using me and my big lens to spy on the Soviets.

'Just keep it cool, Norfy,' he re-assures me, sensing my surprise. 'If anyone comes over here to check on us, we'll see them coming from a long way off. I'll tell you and you just keep focusing on Dasayev. We're just here for an interview.'

But no one did come. No one caught on, or said boo. The interview went off without a hitch, I did a few set up shots of the goalie after the interview - cute pics of him having fun with the Mexican ball boys who helped out at their training sessions. They were published months after the World Cup ended. I made a couple of hundred extra dollars. Canada lost 2-0 to the Soviets, so no idea how the info my colleague learned might have helped.

But there you have it. Without realizing it was happening until it was happening, I ended up spying for Canada on the Soviet Union.

I'm still in the Witness Protection Program.

Thats fudging excellent mate, thank you. If you have more, keep them coming. Brings back memories. Loved that Soviet team too. Belanov, Zavarov, Rats. But I wanted to be a keeper a couple of years later and Dasayev, to me, was the best in the world. Loved Erik the Viking but Dasaeyev was my top keeper in the world. Probably helped that you only saw these guys once every 2 or 4 years to build the mystique but he was a hell of a keeper.

Thanks again. If you have anything you can post up easily, please do. Must have been some experience for you.

Mexico '86 was awesome. And that was just off the pitch.

Got to play in a media game in the 50,000 seat stadium that was home then to Cruz Azul. Played right wing, sending soaring crosses in the thin air of Mexico City's altitude. We got a quick peek inside the Monumental bull ring across the street.

Adidas had opened their tournament HQ in a fabulous mansion and media were invited to drop by for amazing hospitality - fajitas and margaritas, served up by lovely senoritas. Loads of free swag, too. For the media game, we (Team Norfa Merica) were all given complete blue and white kits and boots. To keep.

CLb41E2.jpg

Back row, second from left is Rick Boulton-Canadian soccer writer and travel companion, Boris Spremo-Toronto Star ace photog, TV guy, me, TV cameraman. Don't recall all in front row except David Yarrow, front row centre - Scottish photog who got a smokin' shot of Maradona with the World Cup and now is quite famous for wildlife photos.

Photogs also got these terrific black and tan camera bags that held a fair bit of gear. Used it for years afterward.

It didn't take long for word to get out and the place became a regular hangout. It was always exciting to see Camel cigarettes promotional models roll up, two or three at a time in their ad-covered Jeeps, decked out in tight olive drab outfits and bush hats. They'd be plied with drinks, chit-chat and offers to do photo shoots. If I can find some shots of them, I'll add them.

The final was in the Azteca and it's an incredible place. Massive, intimidating. Games often kicked off at noon so that Euro audiences had prime time viewing. Swelteringly hot. Early in the tournament I thought I'd pop up quickly for a wide view from the top of the upper deck. Nearly fainted. Thin air and super steep stairs. You don't want to keel over up there.

tB399Ep.jpg

Here's a shot I had taken of myself at halftime of the Argentina-Germany final. Boxes of film scattered all around. Both Fuji and Kodak were handing out 12-roll bricks of whatever we wanted. There was free processing as well in the media centre.

JZtEPpZ.jpg

Not long after this shot came this shot, game ending jubiliation (jubo in media lingo) of Maradona and Ricardo Giusti celebrating their 3-2 win.

tzIIBtq.jpg

Last edited:
Mexico '86 was awesome. And that was just off the pitch.

Got to play in a media game in the 50,000 seat stadium that was home then to Cruz Azul. Played right wing, sending soaring crosses in the thin air of Mexico City's altitude. We got a quick peek inside the Monumental bull ring across the street.

Adidas had opened their tournament HQ in a fabulous mansion and media were invited to drop by for amazing hospitality - fajitas and margaritas, served up by lovely senoritas. Loads of free swag, too. For the media game, we (Team Norfa Merica) were all given complete blue and white kits and boots. To keep.

CLb41E2.jpg

Back row, second from left is Rick Boulton-Canadian soccer writer and travel companion, Boris Spremo-Toronto Star ace photog, TV guy, me, TV cameraman. Don't recall all in front row except David Yarrow, front row centre - Scottish photog who got a smokin' shot of Maradona with the World Cup and now is quite famous for wildlife photos.

Photogs also got these terrific black and tan camera bags that held a fair bit of gear. Used it for years afterward.

It didn't take long for word to get out and the place became a regular hangout. It was always exciting to see Camel cigarettes promotional models roll up, two or three at a time in their ad-covered Jeeps, decked out in tight olive drab outfits and bush hats. They'd be plied with drinks, chit-chat and offers to do photo shoots. If I can find some shots of them, I'll add them.

The final was in the Azteca and it's an incredible place. Massive, intimidating. Games often kicked off at noon so that Euro audiences had prime time viewing. Swelteringly hot. Early in the tournament I thought I'd pop up quickly for a wide view from the top of the upper deck. Nearly fainted. Thin air and super steep stairs. You don't want to keel over up there.

tB399Ep.jpg

Here's a shot I had taken of myself at halftime of the Argentina-Germany final. Boxes of film scattered all around. Both Fuji and Kodak were handing out 12-roll bricks of whatever we wanted. There was free processing as well in the media centre.

JZtEPpZ.jpg

Not long after this shot came this shot, game ending jubiliation (jubo in media lingo) of Maradona and Ricardo Giusti celebrating their 3-2 win.

tzIIBtq.jpg

fudging hell mate, unreal stuff, thank you for sharing.

You should open up your own thread and treat it like a memoir sometime... I'd love to read and see more!

TV coverage of England group games
21 November, 13:00: England v Iran - BBC

25 November, 19:00: England v USA - ITV

29 November, 19:00: Ukraine/Scotland/Wales v England - BBC

TV coverage of Ukraine/Scotland/Wales group games
21 November, 19:00: USA v Ukraine/Scotland/Wales - ITV

25 November, 10:00: Ukraine/Scotland/Wales v Iran - BBC

29 November, 19:00: Ukraine/Scotland/Wales vs England - BBC

TV schedule for all 2022 World Cup group games
21 November, 10:00: Senegal v Netherlands - ITV

21 November, 13:00: England v Iran - BBC

21 November, 16:00: Qatar v Ecuador - BBC

21 November, 19:00: USA v Ukraine/Scotland/Wales - ITV

22 November, 10:00: Argentina v Saudi Arabia - ITV

22 November, 13:00: Denmark v Tunisia - ITV

22 November, 16:00: Mexico v Poland - BBC

22 November, 19:00: France v UAE/Australia/Peru - BBC

23 November, 10:00: Morocco v Croatia - ITV

23 November, 13:00: Germany v Japan - ITV

23 November, 16:00: Spain v Costa Rica/New Zealand - ITV

23 November, 19:00: Belgium v Canada - BBC

24 November, 10:00: Switzerland v Cameroon - ITV

24 November, 13:00: Uruguay v South Korea - BBC

24 November, 16:00: Portugal v Ghana - ITV

24 November, 19:00: Brazil v Serbia - BBC

25 November, 10:00: Ukraine/Scotland/Wales v Iran - BBC

25 November, 13:00: Qatar v Senegal - BBC

25 November, 16:00: Netherlands v Ecuador - ITV

25 November, 19:00: England v USA - ITV

26 November, 10:00: Tunisia v UAE/Australia/Peru - BBC

26 November, 13:00: Poland v Saudi Arabia - ITV

26 November, 16:00: France v Denmark - ITV

26 November, 19:00: Argentina v Mexico - ITV

27 November, 10:00: Japan v Costa Rica/New Zealand - ITV

27 November, 13:00: Belgium v Morocco - BBC

27 November, 16:00: Croatia v Canada - BBC

27 November, 19:00: Spain v Germany - BBC

28 November, 10:00: Cameroon v Serbia - ITV

28 November, 13:00: South Korea v Ghana - BBC

28 November, 16:00: Brazil v Switzerland - ITV

28 November, 19:00: Portugal v Uruguay - ITV

29 November, 15:00: Ecuador v Senegal - ITV

29 November, 15:00: Netherlands v Qatar - ITV

29 November, 19:00: Iran v USA - BBC

29 November, 19:00: Ukraine/Scotland/Wales v England - BBC

30 November, 15:00: Tunisia v France - BBC

30 November, 15:00: UAE/Australia/Peru v Denmark - BBC

30 November, 19:00: Poland v Argentina - BBC

30 November, 19:00: Saudi Arabia v Mexico - BBC

1 December, 16:00: Canada v Morocco - BBC

1 December, 16:00: Croatia v Belgium - BBC

1 December, 19:00: Japan v Spain - ITV

1 December, 19:00: Costa Rica/New Zealand v Germany - ITV

2 December, 16:00: Ghana v Uruguay - BBC

2 December, 16:00: South Korea v Portugal - BBC

2 December, 19:00: Serbia v Switzerland - ITV

2 December, 19:00: Cameroon v Brazil - ITV

Yes please do love these stories

Thanks all for the nice comments. I've just found a nice shot - on slide film - of Gary Lineker (yay!) and Peter Beardsley (boooo!) celebrating England's massive win over Paraguay at the Azteca. I'll add it as soon as I get it scanned.

Covered Canada's last two World Cup qualifying wins vs. Estados Unidos and Jamaica - both jubilant, exuberant occasions that gave them top spot in the CONCACAF Octagon qualifying round and pushed them into World Cup qualification. I know, there's a lot of so-called experts looking down their noses at a nation like Canada when it comes to international play. And I try to assess them with an objective, arms-length perspective. I've seen my fair share of football

But they are quite good this time. Four Canadian starters won European league titles last season - Germany, France and Turkey. Beat that, England. I'll have to work up a few yarns about this. I was also there when Canada last qualified for a World Cup, September 1985 in the very unlikely venue of St. John's, Newfoundland, when they beat Honduras 2-0. Both that and these two games were very special, very emotional occasions.

The thing to remember about Canada this time is that they will also qualify as host nation for the 2026 World Cup when the event finally returns to civilization. So they go into this year's tourney with a young, dynamic squad feeling no pressure and looking to learn and build for the next World Cup. And they play two sides begin to show their age in Belgium and Hrvatska. Both Canada and the equally fleet Moroccans could surprise.

I really want to stage my own, insignificant mini boycott of the WC, but looking at the fixtures and remembering the fun from last summer's Euros, the pull is getting stronger and stronger.

I'm a weakling with absolutely no self control.

Ha ha ha. Just read an ESPN projection of the outcomes of all upcoming World Cup games and they've got Belgium losing narrowly to Canadia. Fcukin' A, hombres. I absolutely detest how ESPN go about their business, but I liked this outcome before they proposed it.

Canadia's got the wheels to cause all sorts of disruption with the aging squads of Belgium and Croatia. Same with Morocco.

Ha ha ha. Just read an ESPN projection of the outcomes of all upcoming World Cup games and they've got Belgium losing narrowly to Canadia. Fcukin' A, hombres. I absolutely detest how ESPN go about their business, but I liked this outcome before they proposed it.

Canadia's got the wheels to cause all sorts of disruption with the aging squads of Belgium and Croatia. Same with Morocco.

I half fancy them to get out of the group, would be mega, I may be over in Calgary around the time of the last-16 too so I hope so.

Thanks all for the nice comments. I've just found a nice shot - on slide film - of Gary Lineker (yay!) and Peter Beardsley (boooo!) celebrating England's massive win over Paraguay at the Azteca. I'll add it as soon as I get it scanned.

Covered Canada's last two World Cup qualifying wins vs. Estados Unidos and Jamaica - both jubilant, exuberant occasions that gave them top spot in the CONCACAF Octagon qualifying round and pushed them into World Cup qualification. I know, there's a lot of so-called experts looking down their noses at a nation like Canada when it comes to international play. And I try to assess them with an objective, arms-length perspective. I've seen my fair share of football

But they are quite good this time. Four Canadian starters won European league titles last season - Germany, France and Turkey. Beat that, England. I'll have to work up a few yarns about this. I was also there when Canada last qualified for a World Cup, September 1985 in the very unlikely venue of St. John's, Newfoundland, when they beat Honduras 2-0. Both that and these two games were very special, very emotional occasions.

The thing to remember about Canada this time is that they will also qualify as host nation for the 2026 World Cup when the event finally returns to civilization. So they go into this year's tourney with a young, dynamic squad feeling no pressure and looking to learn and build for the next World Cup. And they play two sides begin to show their age in Belgium and Hrvatska. Both Canada and the equally fleet Moroccans could surprise.

Countries like Canada getting to the WC are a massive part of the allure. Especially when they do well. Watching Cameroon in 1990 was a joy, USA and Nigeria in 1994 (Yekini's celebration v Bulgaria was spine tingling), Korea in 2002, New Zealand in 2010 and so on. Anyone looking down their nose at Canada or anyone else has no business watching the World Cup.

Please keep the stories and pictures coming, I've really enjoyed them.

I really want to stage my own, insignificant mini boycott of the WC, but looking at the fixtures and remembering the fun from last summer's Euros, the pull is getting stronger and stronger.

I'm a weakling with absolutely no self control.

I actually feel a little bit sick every time I think about this World Cup for the reasons I've outlined in an earlier post. I don't want to watch it but I'm sure by the time it rolls around, I'll probably be watching as much of it as I can.

Back