1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

2022/23 expectations

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by El Guepardo, 3 Jul 2022.

1. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Jimmy Cantrell

I could see one of Liverpool or City having a bad season by their standards and dropping their level to circa 85 points but not both. No chance. At least one of them will get more than 90 points. They’ve set an insane standard over the last 4 seasons. I don’t think our defence is solid enough to compete with them. Our forwards can match anyone mind you so if Kane and Son both have the seasons of their lives and we get decent contributions from Kulu and Richarlison then who knows.

I think any trophy will shut up rival fans. Yes of course they’ll say it’s only 1 in 15 years but we’ve got to start somewhere.

Pirate55 likes this.
  2. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

3rd or 4th with a trophy would represent a great season for me.

AdamB likes this.
  3. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Paul Stalteri

We've been saying that for 10 years. Hopefully it finally happens.

Pirate55 and harr1984 like this.
  4. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Les Howe

I'd be bitterly disappointed if we only get 66 pts! And no way that will be enough for 4th. I'm expecting us to be around 75 points, hopefully push beyond 80.

metalgear likes this.
  5. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Paul Robinson

I'd like to see us finish comfortably ahead of the pack from 5th downwards. Whether that's 3rd or 4th I don't really mind, I just don't want us scrabbling for that 4th spot right to the end (I don't think that will be the case). 3rd would be great obviously. A few weeks back it felt that the conversation was where in the top 4 we would finish, rather than if we would make it, and I think that remains the same, as long as we don't throw away silly points in those games we should be winning. So
    Expectation 3rd or 4th plus a domestic cup + score at least twice from a free kick.
    Aspiration : 4 points from Chelsea, 4 from Liverpool and all 6 from Woolwich. CL QFs. Harry Kane Golden Boot, Sonny runner-up.

6. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Sergei Rebrov

Rather win a cup than get top four, felt that for about four seasons but it’s getting worse. Kane and Son can’t finish with the club empty handed. It would be a travesty.

7. Jurgen the German

A goal against them in either fixture would be nice. When was the last time we scored against them?

8. Jurgen the German

No way we’re only getting 66 points with a full season under Conte. We managed 71 points with Nuno managing us for the first few months. I’d be disappointed with less than 80 points tbh.

9. braineclipse

braineclipse David Ginola

Absolutely think we should expect improvements from last season. Difficult to know if and by how much teams around us improve. So final league position will depend as much on other teams.

For me a somewhat comfortable top four finish with some of the improvements you mentioned would be good.

Find it difficult to talk about cup trophies and expectations. Can't really expect something that's inherently a lie probability outcome. But would like to see us put ourselves in a good position by having a good cup run or two. Then what happens happens.

MKSpur likes this.
  10. braineclipse

braineclipse David Ginola

There's a small chance of both teams dropping off if it's possible that either one of them does so. But the likelihood is small for sure.

I think our defence showed towards the end of last season that they're capable of performing at a very high level. If we can keep our first choice defenders fit, or Lenglet slots in well I think Conte will be expecting/demanding a rather impressive defensive campaign overall.

For me the biggest question mark will be our ability to break down teams that sit back. We've gone some way towards improving that, for me Perisic is very likely to be a success. If Spence or Doherty along with Richarlison and any other new attacking signings have strong seasons we should improve quite a bit at that.

metalgear likes this.
  11. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Walsh

It's all about attitude for me.
    There was 18 points between 2nd and third last season.
    i think we can easily take third, close that gap to single figures and be ahead of fourth by six points. We are good enough and have a strong enough squad, buy only if we have fixed the mentality, i think we have gone a long way to doing so, we are about to find out.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

What teams do actually sit back?
    Last season we had Burnley do it
    Beyond that…. West Ham ish
    Watford did (2 relegated sides)
    Out problem was teams that pressed us more IMO as we didn’t have enough ball players on the pitch.
    We had royal and Reggie panicking their passes
    Moura treating the ball like a bomb
    Sanchez… good and bad
    Pierre… not great with the ball sometimes
    We have massively upgraded those players and that will make a BIG difference
    People talk about lock pickers but city and pool beat the bus Parker’s by playing the same game they did the week before

djp82 likes this.
  13. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Paul Walsh

We lost more games last season by not turning up than we did against teams parking the bus.

parklane1, Robbo, AdamB and 3 others like this.
  14. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

I agree

15. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Nick Barmby

Has a team ever been top of the league after the first round of matches and stayed there all season?….

16. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Paul Stalteri

Lol. Still 4 games to go before the first round of fixtures is over. But to answer your question no idea.

17. Baleforce

Baleforce Clive Allen

not that I can think of immediately, maybe Milan in 91/92

City in 17/18 started with a load of wins, depends on GD and others obviously

18. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin John Lacy

I think most of us would be happy with 3rd or 4th, me included. Cannot see Conte settling for that though. He's thinking title charge.

AdamB and Baleforce like this.
  19. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

We're winning the league, aren't we?

Lakey, Robbo and Baleforce like this.
  20. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

He's going to push the team as much as he can, but I don't think he will be disappointed with a 3rd place finish, provided we have closed the gap with City and Pool. I think next year will be the real title push.