• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2022/23 expectations

Arsenal have a Santo calibre manager, no capable defensive players, no cutting edge up top, and no CL football again

Chelsea are losing loads of key players and are having to learn to cope with £100m reduction in their annual budget.

Neither should be within 20 points of us

Nuno is miles ahead of Arteta imo.

Conte is a talented manager, but the dichotomy of our performances last season was down to Kane being a clam or not.

Arsenal have a Santo calibre manager, no capable defensive players, no cutting edge up top, and no CL football again

Chelsea are losing loads of key players and are having to learn to cope with £100m reduction in their annual budget.

Neither should be within 20 points of us

It's difficult enough to guess how we will do, never mind guessing how several other teams will do. We've seen surprising changes of results from many teams in the past.

Rarely been this confident about us though. So much going for us right now. Top level manager, already a very good starting 11 being added to in the transfer market. Getting there with squad depth too.

How far that will take us though... 80+ points would be good.

Nuno is miles ahead of Arteta imo.

Conte is a talented manager, but the dichotomy of our performances last season was down to Kane being a clam or not.

Arteta has won a trophy. I’m glad he’s their manager and not someone better but he’s a better manager than Nuno.

There is always a point in the season when we lose a match where I realise we are not going to win the thing. It feels like a gut punch. Sometimes it's early and other times it is closer to the finish line. It is a bit delusional I know, but I hope the players believe they can win in the core of their being. If you are already settling for runners-up in your own head before the season starts I would say they are missing something that rhymes with binning gentality.

Last edited:
, but the dichotomy of our performances last season was down to Kane being a clam or not.

OR it was due to our wingbacks being good or bad
Or teams sitting deep
I still remember a terrible performance (was it New Year's Day Norwich or Palace or someone?>) where a last second Sanchez header saved us 3 VITAL points

Top 4 is my expectation. I don't see how any of the new signings significantly challenge the quality of the starting 11. They strengthen the squad.

Bissouma, Richarlison, Sarr, Lenglet, Forster, Perisic will find it hard to bench the starting 11. The only one I could argue for is Bissouma.

Top 4 is my expectation. I don't see how any of the new signings significantly challenge the quality of the starting 11. They strengthen the squad.

Bissouma, Richarlison, Sarr, Lenglet, Forster, Perisic will find it hard to bench the starting 11. The only one I could argue for is Bissouma.
Bissouma and Perisic won't find it hard and will be starters in our strongest 11. Richarlison will get lots of game time too in rotation.
The likes of City can swap players in and out without a huge drop off in level, we need to be looking to achieve the same.
It's especially important for this season with the world cup stuck in the middle leading to fixture congestion.

Expectation is the same as it has been for most of the last 10 years, top 4 and a trophy.

To beat Pool, Arse and Chelski at their grounds and challenge for the title. Might just be out of reach so will take the Champions League.

To beat Pool, Arse and Chelski at their grounds and challenge for the title. Might just be out of reach so will take the Champions League.
More like get a result at a few of them and beat them at home, but the overall point still stands, it’s beyond us I think

I think it's difficult to know how this season will pan out with the major changes of a world cup break and 5 subs. For the first time ever I'm going to be hoping our players teams get eliminated early from the competition keeping them fresher and injury free.

Last edited:
Top 3, but I also dare to be optimistic about our chances of challenging the Scowsers and Emirates Marketing Project. Our run-in towards the end of last season suggested we are really not that far behind. Conte-ball seemed to get into full swing and we've kept all our best players and strengthened the squad since. The likes of Hojbjerg, Doherty, Sanchez and, to a lesser extent, Sess all improved perceptibly as the season progressed and the return of Skipp should add to our strength in depth.

However the difference this season is we are in the CL, meaning we'll need to field stronger teams more regularly than last season. Also - and I don't know whether the stats will back this up - but we always seem to drop points too easily against inferior oppositipn on return from a midweek away fixture in Europe. If that happens it will obviously hamper our chances, especially if we go deep into the CL and/or domestic cups.

But my hopes are high!

I think we need to be looking at this as more of a squad than team this season, so many games, players with eye on world cup, 5 subs. All adds up as lots of game time for everyone in squad and opposition might be taken into account. Our squad last year meant 1st 11 picked themselves every game, suspect might be different this season.

Time will tell. I presume you mean Bissouma for Hojberg and Perisic at LWB?

Bissouma is more of a DM and will compete with Skipp for that role but is obviously a clear first choice there, Hojberg will compete with Bentancur for the more progressive of the 2 CM roles presumably as this is where he tends to play for Denmark, and really he lacks the positional discipline to be a DM here

Back