• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2020 - Pushing up the daisies

Late comer to Python but loved the films especially Life of Brian. Michael Palin is my favourite but they're all great comedy writers/actors and it's very sad how poor Terry Jones suffered with dementia these past few years. RIP Mrs. Cohen.

I heard last year that Palin was going to see Jones every week and took him to the pub.

this was absolutely shocking, to put it into context, this is the US's "Diana" moment. Kobe was an absolute icon, you know how people always wax lyrical when they're gone but honestly, nobody every said a bad word about him, humble, modest, fantastic father by all accounts and role model, oscar winner no less. Every network, sports, news or otherwise was covering this, the US will be in a massive hangover in Super Bowl week, i hate basketball, its become an overrated 3 point shooting contest and pointless dunks but a true legend was lost today, RIP Mamba.

Great player who brought an international perspective to the NBA. Which it badly needed and still does.

Nice to read all the tributes to him but little mention given to the fact that a young, teenaged woman in Colorado was very handsomely paid off to not testify in a court case where enough evidence had been gathered to seriously trouble his golden image and have him convicted of rape.

Not gonna dwell on it, just mentioning it before we get all teary-eyed like the Yanks are getting.

The last time there was a near state funeral in America for the death of a prominent sporting figure, it was the death of NASCAR superstar Dale Earnhardt who died in a crash on the final turn of the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500. He died in the heat of battle, holding off rival drivers with two cars he owned, one driven by his son, in front of him and one of them - Michael Waltrip's - about to take the checkered flag for his first career win in over 400 races. I kind of admired that. What a way to go.

I just wonder whether personal ego was obscuring good judgement with Bryant chartering a personal helicopter with eight other passengers on board in foggy weather. The weather was so bad that police helicopters were grounded.

Last edited:
Must be something to do with not being an F150 driving amerifat but Kobe Bryan was just a name I heard a few times. Probably only stuck in the memory because it was such an unusual name too.

Did many other people on the side of the Atlantic that matters know of him?

Last edited:
this was absolutely shocking, to put it into context, this is the US's "Diana" moment. Kobe was an absolute icon, you know how people always wax lyrical when they're gone but honestly, nobody every said a bad word about him, humble, modest, fantastic father by all accounts and role model, oscar winner no less. Every network, sports, news or otherwise was covering this, the US will be in a massive hangover in Super Bowl week, i hate basketball, its become an overrated 3 point shooting contest and pointless dunks but a true legend was lost today, RIP Mamba.

I didn’t realise he was held in such high regard till yesterday.

Its a tragic accident for sure and my heart goes out to those that lost their life but he wasn’t always held in high regard, the alleged rape was a stain and for me as great as he was he was a great sports person, not sure that holds him in any higher regard than the death of my old DR last month

What if the top level cheese rolling player died?

(Similar level of tactical acumen required as for basketball)
Bryant was a world star. I'm not a basketball fan but he is one of the few I would have known. I know of no famous cheese rollers however nor indeed am I expert enough on cheese rolling tactics to make a comparison to basketball. Which cheeser (is that the right term?) do you like the most?

Back